The Working Life of an ATH-M50x
Jun 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ben96

New Head-Fier
So, I got my ATH-M50x about a month ago, and it has invoked the audiophile in me, so much so that I refuse to listen through those crappy 2 dollar earphones that you get on the street or even the earphones that you get with most phones. (That went really, off-topic.)

Anyway, I just saw the warranty information of the M50x and I realized that it was just a one year warranty. I just wanna know if anyone can tell me how long can I expect this to last. Some of my previous headphones, which were never more than 5 dollars, lasted for a maximum of a year before their each part broke and tore away everyday.

Now, considering that I paid nearly 200 dollars for this headphone, till when can I expect this to last?

As far as my usage of it is concerned, it is very gentle and I handle it carefully. I don't listen to music at very high volumes, so I'm not exactly worried about the drivers.

So basically, with gentle use how long can I expect it to last before it starts falling apart?

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Honestly, if the original M50 (which I owned) is any indication of durability, these will last a loooooonngg time. I had mine for a long time (3 years) before I sold them off after being hit by upgrade-itis, and besides very little wear and tear, they worked as well as they did the same day I got them.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 10
I am also interested in this, but those are new model, so it's hard to say. Hopefully we will be using our new cans as long as possible without any problems :)

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 10
  I am also interested in this, but those are new model, so it's hard to say. Hopefully we will be using our new cans as long as possible without any problems :)

They may be a new model, but they only made 2 changes which are:

1. Softer, more comfortable ear pads

and

2. They added a detachable cable so you wouldn't have to resort to this (detachable cable mod, my gf's M50)

:

Like some of us had to. Otherwise, everything else is exactly the same, so they should hold up just as well as the older model.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 10
Not everything is exactly the same, because they sound different from the old model = different materials were used for sure :wink:

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 10
  Not everything is exactly the same, because they sound different from the old model = different materials were used for sure :wink:

But even Audio-Technica said on their Facebook page when they first released it nothing was changed but the 2 things I mentioned....

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 10
And magically they sound different :wink:

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 10
they do sound different. less piercing treble and more well extended bass.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 10
treble is now very smooth and quite the top for its range. the 10kHz peak has been reduced a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back