The Woo Audio 2
Oct 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #902 of 1,749
Why.is the standard output 7 / 15 vrms? Thought the standard was 2 / 4

There is no such standard at 2/4Vrms as far as I know (at least not defined/governed by any standard organization). A lot of DACs especially ones targeting professional or studio use will have higher output levels (especially on XLR our) because pro equipment traditionally expects higher output levels. A lot of DACs do follow the 2/4Vrms levels as consumer equipment (such as self-powered speakers) cannot handle hotter signals without distorting/clipping. But for stand alone desktop sized amps, almost all of them should be able to handle the hotter outputs, at least up to 7-8Vrms for XLR (15 is a bit high).

DACs with relatively high output levels (6Vs+) on XLR include the Mytek, Calyx 24/192, Matrix X-Sabre, most MSB DACs, to name a few. Most Audio-GD DACs also output at 5Vrms. Haven't heard any issues with any of these amps (except the Mytek which before setting the jumpers to lower the RCA level it did cause clipping with my powered speakers).

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #903 of 1,749
I have a yamaha rx-a3030 AVR which I plan to connect to my Woo Audio2 via interconnects. The AVR will stream flac files from my network hard drive and send the signal to the WA2 for headphone listening. In this case, i believe the AVR is acting as a preamp, and the WA2 is the power amp for my headphones. I know that the WA2 also functions as a preamp. My question is: can I then connect a power amp (used for loudspeakers) to the preamp outputs of the WA2 and use the WA2 as a preamp when I listen to my loudspeakers? So my connection would be AVR-> WA2-> power amp-> loudspeakers. I guess this means that both the AVR and WA2 are acting as preamps? Is this ok?

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #904 of 1,749
I just ordered this amp.  How good are the stock tubes?  I am already thinking about upgrading and I noticed that Woo Audio has upgraded tubes available?  Are those the best choice?  Which set of tubes makes the biggest difference? Power, driver, or rectifier or do all three at the same time?

Thx. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #905 of 1,749
I have a yamaha rx-a3030 AVR which I plan to connect to my Woo Audio2 via interconnects. The AVR will stream flac files from my network hard drive and send the signal to the WA2 for headphone listening. In this case, i believe the AVR is acting as a preamp, and the WA2 is the power amp for my headphones. I know that the WA2 also functions as a preamp. My question is: can I then connect a power amp (used for loudspeakers) to the preamp outputs of the WA2 and use the WA2 as a preamp when I listen to my loudspeakers? So my connection would be AVR-> WA2-> power amp-> loudspeakers. I guess this means that both the AVR and WA2 are acting as preamps? Is this ok?

Technically, in this case, you would want your AVR to just act as a source.  Since most likely the volume control in the AVR cannot be disabled, I would set the volume control on your AVR at "reference" or "0" and just use the WA2's volume control. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #906 of 1,749
I just ordered this amp.  How good are the stock tubes?  I am already thinking about upgrading and I noticed that Woo Audio has upgraded tubes available?  Are those the best choice?  Which set of tubes makes the biggest difference? Power, driver, or rectifier or do all three at the same time?

Thx. 
Stock tubes aren't too good in my opinion. From my experience, power tubes and preamp tubes make the biggest impact. Rectifier tubes not so much

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #908 of 1,749
Thanks guys.  This amp will also be used everyday as a preamp for my amp/speakers.

Therefore, I believe I would want the best driver tubes.

What is the consensus on the Amperax 7308 Woo offers as an upgrade?

I might just add it to my order if it makes a huge difference.  Since I understand that tubes need about 150+ hours to break in, it would make sense to start with good tubes.

Or am I doing it wrong?

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #909 of 1,749
  Thanks guys.  This amp will also be used everyday as a preamp for my amp/speakers.

I might just add it to my order if it makes a huge difference.  Since I understand that tubes need about 150+ hours to break in, it would make sense to start with good tubes.

Or am I doing it wrong?

1) It will make a world of difference!

2) Of course you are!

(just kidding. Just get the tubes, start rolling. Swapping tubes is like drinking different coffees, wines or teas. Just start rolling the tubes. Woo upgrades are generally good and the tubes are not overpriced, but you can check out ebay for reference)

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #910 of 1,749

Or am I doing it wrong?

1) It will make a world of difference!

2) Of course you are!

(just kidding. Just get the tubes, start rolling. Swapping tubes is like drinking different coffees, wines or teas. Just start rolling the tubes. Woo upgrades are generally good and the tubes are not overpriced, but you can check out ebay for reference)

Great, sounds like another money pit. Lol.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #912 of 1,749
The best thing I have found is that you can always fine tune the amp to whatever mood  and sound you would like to hear. if you needs more treble extension or bass extension many tubes will give you that I enjoy tinkering with tubes to get the best out of my amps.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #913 of 1,749
Dec 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #915 of 1,749

Users who are viewing this thread

Back