The Woo Audio 2
May 7, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #1,621 of 1,741
The rectifier tubes: RFT EZ81 (w/ foil getters);
The power tubes: Mullard / Philips 6080;
The driver tubes: Brimar CV455 (KB/FB - Footscray plant).

Used in rotation are Tung Sol 5998 (power) and RFT ECC81 (driver w/ foil getters).

Sound is: 👍🎼. With no music playing and volume at maximum, very light hum. At 1.5x normal listening level, no hum. This is my best setup for high impedance headphones: Beyers, Senn, ZMF.
Btw is your 12AT7 to 6922/ECC88 adapters bought from Pulse Tube Store? Or from somewhere else?

asking cause these looks white not silver/copper showing in your post: https://pulsetubestore.com/products...uction-base-9-pin-b9a-noval-not-made-in-china

May 7, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #1,622 of 1,741
Btw is your 12AT7 to 6922/ECC88 adapters bought from Pulse Tube Store? Or from somewhere else?

asking cause these looks white not silver/copper showing in your post: https://pulsetubestore.com/products/12axx-to-ecc88-adapter-plug-play-novib-©-1960s-nos-british-mcmurdo-phenolic-socket-on-top-plus-vibration-reduction-base-9-pin-b9a-noval-not-made-in-china
They are the PTS adapters. I peeled off the labels, cleaned the adapter bodies with isopropyl alcohol, then painted the bodies with Testors silver / gold model paint - keeping clear of the adapter pins and sockets!

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,623 of 1,741
They are the PTS adapters. I peeled off the labels, cleaned the adapter bodies with isopropyl alcohol, then painted the bodies with Testors silver / gold model paint - keeping clear of the adapter pins and sockets!
makes sense now, I wish it was just brown, cus on my brushed aluminium W22 the pre amp tubse has brown base and looks cool so on WA2 it'll look good too.

May 8, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #1,624 of 1,741
Many thanks to Billerb1 for turning me on to the RFT EZ81 foils. :trophy:

My rig has NEVER sounded better! Currently I'm running:

Rectifier tubes: RFT EZ81 foil getters
Power tubes: Tung-Sol 5998
Driver tubes: Telefunken ECC801S w/adapters

May 20, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #1,626 of 1,741
So..I am a month into my new WA2 and gotta say I love it.

About to make some major upgrades to my system (Ayre or McIntosh) digital pre-amp as well as headphones.

The synergy between the WA2 and my HD800 is great. Can I make it even better with a new set of cans in the 2.5K to 3K range (or am I looking at the law of diminishing returns) ?

Naturally, I am limited with the 1/4 standard plug. Suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #1,627 of 1,741

About to make some major upgrades to my system (Ayre or McIntosh) digital pre-amp as well as headphones.

The synergy between the WA2 and my HD800 is great. Can I make it even better with a new set of cans in the 2.5K to 3K range (or am I looking at the law of diminishing returns) ?

Naturally, I am limited with the 1/4 standard plug. Suggestions are appreciated.
How about the 1.5K to 3.0K range? How about ZMF (Aeolus, Atrium, Atticus, Auteur*, Eikon*, Verite Closed, Verite Open)?
[* discontinued ==> secondhand]

May 21, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #1,628 of 1,741

First things first; need to know which DAC is feeding the chain before i can answer your question or make any recommendation.

May 21, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #1,630 of 1,741
McIntosh D100 soon to be replaceced with either Ayre QX8, QX5 Twenty or McIntosh D1100.
Ok good, those are decent DACs. Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the weak kink before spending on a different headphone.
I have multiple amps & headphones and the HD800/ WA2 combo remains my favorite.
I recently purchased some IEMs and just for fun plugged them into the WA2 expecting the higher output impedance would bloat and muddy the mid-bass and guess what? I doesn't at all and sounds absolutely terrific!
So there you go, there are plenty of options and an IEM is just another way to diversify your collection :)

May 26, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #1,632 of 1,741
Many thanks to Billerb1 for turning me on to the RFT EZ81 foils. :trophy:

My rig has NEVER sounded better! Currently I'm running:

Rectifier tubes: RFT EZ81 foil getters
Power tubes: Tung-Sol 5998
Driver tubes: Telefunken ECC801S w/adapters
Nice! I have a different amp, but it uses the same rectifier. Having owned and heard pretty much every EZ81 ever made including the famous G.E.C. U709, the Funkwerk/RFT EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Getter is tops for me. @billerb1 definitely knows his tubes. As for the RFT, I have some Foil Getters with stapled plates (later version) and welded plates (earliest version) and the welded are where it's at.

Another EZ81 worth hunting down that gets really close to the RFT WPFG, is the Tungsram EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Getter. The Tungsram has a bit stronger bass, and lower midrange warmth, but still has excellent transparency and balance. The top end with this Tungsram is not as airy as is it with the RFT, but the mids and bass are first class no doubt.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #1,633 of 1,741
It's funny how time and experimentation changes things in this hobby. I purchased my WA2 in 2009. Earlier runs. I can't use 6080 power tubes in it, due to the slot being too small. Jack widened it through the years though. But it's fine, I have plenty of 6AS7s and 5998s for her to use.
Back then, the word was that the rectifiers (EZ80) made the least amount of impact on sound. The EZ80s were dirt cheap back then. I purchased a quad of Tunsgram for very cheap, as well as others.
Now, rolling the rectifiers have a big impact. lol. Gotta love this hobby. :relaxed:

After all these years, the WA2 is the only amp I will not sell.

Cheers!!! :beerchug:

Woo Audio 2 (2).jpg

May 27, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #1,634 of 1,741
Nice picture:) Woo looks really cool.

I can't use 6080 power tubes in it, due to the slot being too small.
There is quite simple solution to this, simply use socker (slot) saver. It is similar to tube adapter, but it is extending rather than adapting because it is 6as7 in into 6as7 out.

Here is mine:

20220527_110202.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back