The Woo Audio 2
Feb 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #931 of 1,741
The sockets on my tubes wheres the same material as those adapters with the gold rings.

I linked to show u that the sockets on woo amps are identical to the adapters, so they must be teflon

DSG,

I sent an email off to Jack this A.M. about the current production WA2 sockets and he just responded:

It uses Teflon sockets as standard.  The price was adjusted due to the part cost. 

Since my purchase back in 2011 when Teflon sockets were an option, he now includes Teflon sockets as standard and increased the price to reflect the upgrade in parts. I'm surprised he hasn't updated his web page for the WA2 to reflect that fact.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #932 of 1,741
  DSG,

I sent an email off to Jack this A.M. about the current production WA2 sockets and he just responded:

Since my purchase back in 2011 when Teflon sockets were an option, he now includes Teflon sockets as standard and increased the price to reflect the upgrade in parts. I'm surprised he hasn't updated his web page for the WA2 to reflect that fact.

oh ok, cool, thanks for verifying with Jack about the standard teflon sockets.

surprised the WA5 still offers it as an upgrade though.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #934 of 1,741
Off Topic: I'm in the process of trying to buy and evaluate interconnects for my WA2. So far, I've picked up Kimber Heroes, which do a lot of things right, but the lower midrange is really flat, so they sound bright without being technically bright (and the 72-hour break-in is a real pain). I just picked up a pair of Silnote Morpheus Reference IIs which have an absolutely gorgeous midrange, but neither the bass nor the soundstage is quite as good as the Heroes (the "retail price" on their website is an annoying marketing gimmick, since Silnote sells the cables on Audiogon for about the same price as basic Heroes). Anyone have ICs that work especially well for the WA2? Say, less than $300 or $400? Is anybody getting a 3-D soundstage with their WA2? Mine's decidedly 2-D, and I suspect my ICs are at fault. If you'd prefer to send me private responses so I don't clutter up this thread, I'd be grateful.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #935 of 1,741
I've just ordered a WA2 and I was wondering how my current interconnects would be with it so I'd be very appreciative if the responses would stay in the thread.  I'd assume others would be interested in the responses as well.
BTW, I'd be more interested in below say $200 if possible, lol.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #936 of 1,741
Off Topic: I'm in the process of trying to buy and evaluate interconnects for my WA2. So far, I've picked up Kimber Heroes, which do a lot of things right, but the lower midrange is really flat, so they sound bright without being technically bright (and the 72-hour break-in is a real pain). I just picked up a pair of Silnote Morpheus Reference IIs which have an absolutely gorgeous midrange, but neither the bass nor the soundstage is quite as good as the Heroes (the "retail price" on their website is an annoying marketing gimmick, since Silnote sells the cables on Audiogon for about the same price as basic Heroes). Anyone have ICs that work especially well for the WA2? Say, less than $300 or $400? Is anybody getting a 3-D soundstage with their WA2? Mine's decidedly 2-D, and I suspect my ICs are at fault. If you'd prefer to send me private responses so I don't clutter up this thread, I'd be grateful.

I have done extensive testing on interconnects and have found no difference in sound.  So, I suggest only buying fancy interconnects if you want them for visual pleasure or long-life durability.  If you are unhappy with the sound from the amp, I'd investigate tube pairings first.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #937 of 1,741
I guess I was hoping for private responses so the thread wouldn't devolve into a "cables matter/no they don't" argument. But what I can say is this: I used to be a professional classical guitarist, and have been told by some of the most accomplished musicians in the business that I have a great ear (which has a variety of meanings, of course, some of which apply and some don't). I hear a very distinct difference between cables, and would be grateful if those who also hear and appreciate such differences would reply. For those of you who do not hear differences between cables, I congratulate you: you're saved considerable aggravation and no small amount of money.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #938 of 1,741
I guess I was hoping for private responses so the thread wouldn't devolve into a "cables matter/no they don't" argument. But what I can say is this: I used to be a professional classical guitarist, and have been told by some of the most accomplished musicians in the business that I have a great ear (which has a variety of meanings, of course, some of which apply and some don't). I hear a very distinct difference between cables, and would be grateful if those who also hear and appreciate such differences would reply. For those of you who do not hear differences between cables, I congratulate you: you're saved considerable aggravation and no small amount of money.

I also always hear at least subtle differences between cables and didn't mean to muck things up here.  So please include me in a PM if you have any recommendations if this is not the appropriate platform.  Thanks !!!

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #939 of 1,741

I use the following cables on my Decware CSP3, Taboo 3 and W4S DAC-2. Much to my surprise I found a significantly audible difference (read improvement across the audio spectrum) in my sound with these cables. They are unshielded silver ICs, so if your system has EMI issues you may experience some hum. They only come in 0.5 and 1 meter lengths. They are, IMO, fairly priced. Starting at $149/pr for .5m and $199/pr for 1m. Very highly recommended. You also get a 30 day trial. Decware Silver Reference: http://www.decware.com/newsite/newdsr.htm

In longer lengths, Decware has reasonably priced (starting at $79) shielded copper cables: Decware Studio Grade. I haven't heard them, but I have found everything Steve D makes and sells is very close, if not dead-on, to what he claims on his website and over the phone.  http://www.decware.com/newsite/DSG.html

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #940 of 1,741
Thanks, Rizlaw. I've heard good things about Decware's amps (they're certainly gorgeous to behold). I'll take a look at the Silver Reference. I've never given silver cables much thought since my HD-800s have a mite too much treble as is, depending on the recording. But perhaps I should rethink the matter. Worth a try, certainly--afterall, without shielding, there can't be much dielectric interference, so not many hours to break in the cable. The pic on Decware's home page--the tube amp with purple smoke--is priceless. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #941 of 1,741
Hi,
I just purchased a WA2 with stock tubes, to replace a Burson HA160. I'm using it with Meridian G08 and Senns HD800. 
It only has 2-3 hours of playing, but, compared to the Burson (which is half the price), it sounds muffled and dull. 
Is that due to change with burnin, or should I already be considering tube rolling?

Perhaps I expected too much ...

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #942 of 1,741
  Hi,
I just purchased a WA2 with stock tubes, to replace a Burson HA160. I'm using it with Meridian G08 and Senns HD800. 
It only has 2-3 hours of playing, but, compared to the Burson (which is half the price), it sounds muffled and dull. 
Is that due to change with burnin, or should I already be considering tube rolling?

Perhaps I expected too much ...

Throw the stock tubes in the garbage. Get some Tung Sol 5998 power tubes. Brimar EZ 80 rectifiers. Philips Miniwatt E188CC driver tubes. That combination on my T1's sure isn't muffled and dull. That's for d*** sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back