The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Jan 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #4,636 of 7,980
There is a pop.  Nothing that hurts my ears so I imagine it is not something that hurts the IEMs.  I do tend to turn on the amp first before plugging in my IEMs just to be on the side of caution.

On rare occasion, yes, I have had to turn the amp on and off before it will start.  But not repeatedly, just one on-off cycle.

In terms of sound, I'm really enjoying the iPod > Portaphile > Heir Audio 4 Ai sound.  I don't miss the big headphone rigs I used to own.  Aside from the small quirks, price + battery life are holding back many others from taking the plunge.  All legitimate reasons.  However, sound quality performance has never been an issue with the 627.  It performs like a full size headphone amp.   

Quote:
hey I just checked that you own the Portaphile627, how noisy is the pop sound when you connect or turn on or off the amp when using your iem's with it, and I heard that you have turn it on and off repeatedly  to turn the amp on because of the capacitors needs to get some kind of charge, is that true, and once again how hard is the POP on your iems?

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #4,637 of 7,980
whats everyone using their 8.A with? im on the hunt for a dac/amp combo aswell? any recomendations? just need something that will drive em with authority and still give a neutral sound, few names that ive heard round the thread are Headstage Arrow 4g, TTVJ Apex Glacier, ALO Rx III, .. any1 using a rsa shadow? im liking the size since im lookin for a pocket friendly amp just like gorillaz..  just confused with so many options. will be using mine with the macbook air / ipod touch more, but i dont mind getting a new dap if it helps.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #4,639 of 7,980
WNBC portaphile627
just like me I don't miss my desktop rig I even sold  it (Seinnheiser HD 800, Onkyo Receiver, and Ultrasone ED 8, portable but too big to carry it around besides it draws too much attention ) to go portable,  the battery life is not an issue for me since my listening sessions last only 1 and half hours!  I read this amp takes the number 1 spot on sound quality! it seems that it will be the perfect combination using it with the Tzar 350!

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #4,640 of 7,980
Quote:
I'll do that! meanwhile I'll research a Ety ER-4s vs the Tzar 350!!!

Shoot a PM to Head-Fi'er NC8000. A long time ety-fan turned Tzar fan after auditioning mine 
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #4,642 of 7,980
Yup, it's about being realistic about one's need.  If I'm never home then a reference rig at home is not very useful.  Am I ever going to find a portable sound that is going to compete with my prior rig (W4S DAC-2 + V200/Taboo + HE-500)?  Probably not but am I loving the Portaphile 627 + 4 Ai?  Damn skippy.  I have the RWAK100 coming in a week.  I will really be able to hear what these 4 Ai can do with a better source.

Quote:
WNBC portaphile627
just like me I don't miss my desktop rig I even sold  it (Seinnheiser HD 800, Onkyo Receiver, and Ultrasone ED 8, portable but too big to carry it around besides it draws too much attention ) to go portable,  the battery life is not an issue for me since my listening sessions last only 1 and half hours!  I read this headphone takes the number 1 spot on sound quality! it seems that it will be the perfect combination using it with the Tzar 350!

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #4,643 of 7,980
Quote:
WNBC portaphile627
just like me I don't miss my desktop rig I even sold  it (Seinnheiser HD 800, Onkyo Receiver, and Ultrasone ED 8, portable but too big to carry it around besides it draws too much attention ) to go portable,  the battery life is not an issue for me since my listening sessions last only 1 and half hours!  I read this amp takes the number 1 spot on sound quality! it seems that it will be the perfect combination using it with the Tzar 350!

Does the battery hold its charge? If it starts with 4 hours and after a few months it will give you only 3 it would be a big issue.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #4,646 of 7,980
This was my concern as well and had conversations with Cesar over at Portaphile.  Cesar has some excellent customer service.  I have only one month on the Portaphile so I'll let you know how the battery fairs down the road.

The battery for the 627 is rated for 500 charges.  Cesar will swap out batteries for less than $15 which includes parts and labor.  The battery is available from Mouser but to maintain the warranty Cesar must do it.  

Depending on listening volume and headphone efficiency I get on average 3.5-4 hours.  2.5 hours of charging time.   

Quote:
Does the battery hold its charge? If it starts with 4 hours and after a few months it will give you only 3 it would be a big issue.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4,647 of 7,980
For the record, I have a Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II (209) that I'll be using with my 8.A (previously with my 4.A). From what I hear it'll power it rather well. It did my 4.A a treat and there was no pop/hiss when using. Considering how little it costs relative to some of the competition I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #4,648 of 7,980
My combo is :

IPod touch 5G loaded with lossless using Flac Player > Fostex HP-P1 > Headamp Pico > 8.A

I am very happy with this :)

Incredibly detailed and solid bass are the words that come to mind....

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,649 of 7,980
Quote:
For the record, I have a Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II (209) that I'll be using with my 8.A (previously with my 4.A). From what I hear it'll power it rather well. It did my 4.A a treat and there was no pop/hiss when using. Considering how little it costs relative to some of the competition I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

I think hes referring to the little click you get when you power it on with the IEM connected (which is extremely small). Nothing damaging and really nothing to right home about.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back