The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 20, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #6,601 of 7,980
Quote:
They didn't sound as good to me on the Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary, The Mid's felt tooo strong for my taste. So I shipped them back to amazon. When I got the DX100, my dad wanted to hear how they would sound on the DX100 and they sounded a lot better and the mid's were tamed better than the 3rd Anniversary so I decided to keep them. The RE262's are good, but now the RE-400 sound better. I would like to know how the RE-600 sound that is soon to be released.


Hmm well I agree they did sound best out of the DX100 as that was my preferred source (the 3rd ANV was harsh sounding with them). But it still wasn't enough to impress me over what I had at the time at all. The modded senns destroyed them IMO as did the MDR-7550s and older 1Plus2.
 
Apr 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #6,602 of 7,980
Quote:
Hmm well I agree they did sound best out of the DX100 as that was my preferred source (the 3rd ANV was harsh sounding with them). But it still wasn't enough to impress me over what I had at the time at all. The modded senns destroyed them IMO as did the MDR-7550s and older 1Plus2.

The 3rd gave the RE262's too much strength in the mid's and it felt like most of the music was getting swallowed into the mid section.
that's what she said.
 
Apr 20, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #6,603 of 7,980
Quote:
The 3rd gave the RE262's too much strength in the mid's and it felt like most of the music was getting swallowed into the mid section.
that's what she said.

 
Are you allowed to "that's what she said" yourself?  

Let me just check Section 7 Subsection E Article 5 under Header iii. Part a. in order to make sure your usage is proper.
 
Apr 20, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #6,606 of 7,980
Apr 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #6,607 of 7,980
Quote:
Hello Everyone just received my Heir Audio 4.ai's a couple days ago. Although I am new too reviewing here on headfi,  im going to post my Honest Impressions of 4.Ai. I've given the 4.ai a total of 66 hours, and Let's just say I am not impressed at all. For $399.99 I had high expectations of completely being an upgrade over $150.00 + IEM's and well I was completely wrong. I was already skeptical of buying a $400.00 IEM in the first place because most of them in that price range is very overpriced. Comparisons I've done so far were against the Brainwavz B2, Audio Technica Ck-10, Vsonic Gr07. The Heir Audio 4.ai sounds similar to the brainwavz b2, and the most noticeable part is bass. I will give the Heir Audio 4.ai higher bass detail than the Brainwavz B2, but as for the clarity and crispy high's I have found that the Brainwavz B2 still competes with the Heir Audio 4.ai in it's clarity section even if with the  4.ai has better instrument separation. Lots of people believe the Heir Audio 4.ai sounds like the Brainwavz B2 on steroids, and well not technically and I've came to the conclusion that im not missing anything that the 4.ai offer that the Brainwavz doesn't except mainly bass...
 
 
Next, The Audio Technica ATH CK-10's vs the Heir Audio 4.ai. These 2 really had a clashing battle, but if you want to hear a Brainwavz B2 on steroids??? pick up the Ck10's, it's truly a remarkable IEM. The Ck10's sounds overall balanced while not sounding too dry or boring to my ear's. The Midrange of the Ck10's sound so beautiful especially vocals compared to the 4.ai. The Bass of the 4.ai I will say is better than the Ck10's but the Ck10's have that clean bass that's seems perfect to the ear. I'm not a basshead, and I do like good bass. But asides from that I will say that the instruments on the CK10's sounds a lot more refined than the 4.ai's. I will say that the 4.ai has a very beautiful sense of airiness and imaging, but for some reason I just can't stop thinking about the depth and clearness to the Ck10's. That is what really got me addicted to the Hifiman RE Zero's as my first ever IEM. What is odd to me is that the Ck100's is suppose to be an upgrade over the CK10's and yet, The CK10's is exactly on par and to my ear's slightly better than the 4.ai. The Clarity, balancing and a bit of sparkly highs of the Ck10's makes me believe that it's one of the Best Sounding IEM's ever created.
 

Last, Vsonic Gr07 vs Heir Audio 4.ai. This was pretty much a solid Even Match for the Vsonic Gr07' and the Heir Audio 4.ai'. I've had a couple of friends listen to figure out which of the two do they think deserves to be the winner, and well they both became a Tie. I will say that the Vsonic Gr07's has one of the sexiesssst sounding bass I've ever heard in IEM next to the Sony MDR ex1000. I did find the Heir Audio to have better Airiness than the Vsonic Gr07's and slightly wider soundstage but barely. The Vsonic Gr07's IMO are the one of the king's of overall balanced sound signature  while still remaining fun with such an addicting euphoric sound even for a $179.99 IEM. This is also the reason why I wanted the SE 5way because it has the closest sound signature to the LCD Audeze and Gr07's. The Heir Audio does not let the Vsonic Gr07's take the win, The Heir Audio 4.ai fight's back with a great sense of imaging, and beautiful sounding highs that I've found listening to my favorite songs more than the Vsonic's Gr07. It gave the music a different feeling, but as soon I plug the Vsonic Gr07's back in the Gr07's says ( That was good, Now Watch this! ).
 

I will say the Heir Audio 4.ai is a nice sounding IEM, but for $399.99 Seem's so damn overpriced to me. I am a bit disappointed of reading the overhyped comments of the 4.ai, when it can barely compete against $150.00 + IEM"s. I had such high expectations for the 4.ai only to find out that it sounds like a $200.00 IEM, and there's a lot of lower priced IEM's that will push the 4.ai back on it's ass. It doesn't do anything bad and really it doesn't do anything good. It's just a good sounding IEM, and I feel I can get that exact sound for a cheaper price. Although, In the end I did find that I liked them better than my Re262's, Westone 2's and heck I even thought they even sounded better than the SM3's. But The Heir Audio 4.ai does not justify it's price for  me, and I wished that I didn't spend this amount of money on an IEM to get the impression of "That's it?"
 
 
This may not be a good review, but im just giving my thoughts and my opinion upon this IEM.
 
Thankyou

I had a very similar experience to you. Out of curiosity what genre of music were you listening to?
 
I initially used the Shure SE535 a lot, then listening to the 4ai was AT FIRST an extremely "oh that's it?" reaction. But after a few days, after I got used to the 4ai's sound signature, I was thoroughly impressed. Matching volume levels and listening to complex orchestral music, the 4ai blew away the SE535. Currently listening to Mahler's 4th on the 4ai and it provides me with a level of detail that's simply quite astonishing.
 
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #6,610 of 7,980
It's always good to get a different opinion about headphones/IEMs.  
 
I am a big fan of the Hifiman series and had a lot of their lineup (HE-4, HE-500, RE-Zero, RE-272, RE-262).   However, I would have bypassed their IEMs for the Heir Audio 4 Ai.  For the money I would easily pay $399 for the 4 Ai and skipped the RE-262, RE-272, and RE-Zero.  I've had a bunch of under $200 IEMs and have not found one that trumps the 4Ai.  Even still that is subjective so it is purely that the 4Ai is doing something right for my ears. 
 
As for overhyped comments.  They are not overhyped for the people that love the sound of the given IEM.  I have come across a lot of hyped headphones/IEMs on Head-fi that I didn't find great or even average for my ears.  I'll just assume people have their reasons for liking them and it's fine. 
 
As for overpriced.  Cheaper would be great but consumer price is a mix of R&D, company size and production cost.   Considering these things, $399 sounds right to me but then I really like the 4 Ai so I'm a bit biased.  I kind of like my 4 Ai more than my 5.0 but I wouldn't say that the 5.0 is overpriced.  It is a more complex design and harder to make so I get why it costs more.  To say something is overpriced based on our liking of the sound is the subjective gray area that taps into our passion for these pieces of equipment.     
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will say the Heir Audio 4.ai is a nice sounding IEM, but for $399.99 Seem's so damn overpriced to me. I am a bit disappointed of reading the overhyped comments of the 4.ai, when it can barely compete against $150.00 + IEM"s. I had such high expectations for the 4.ai only to find out that it sounds like a $200.00 IEM, and there's a lot of lower priced IEM's that will push the 4.ai back on it's ass. It doesn't do anything bad and really it doesn't do anything good. It's just a good sounding IEM, and I feel I can get that exact sound for a cheaper price. Although, In the end I did find that I liked them better than my Re262's, Westone 2's and heck I even thought they even sounded better than the SM3's. But The Heir Audio 4.ai does not justify it's price for  me, and I wished that I didn't spend this amount of money on an IEM to get the impression of "That's it?"
 
 
This may not be a good review, but im just giving my thoughts and my opinion upon this IEM.
 
Thankyou

 
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #6,611 of 7,980
Quote:
I had a very similar experience to you. Out of curiosity what genre of music were you listening to?
 
I initially used the Shure SE535 a lot, then listening to the 4ai was AT FIRST an extremely "oh that's it?" reaction. But after a few days, after I got used to the 4ai's sound signature, I was thoroughly impressed. Matching volume levels and listening to complex orchestral music, the 4ai blew away the SE535. Currently listening to Mahler's 4th on the 4ai and it provides me with a level of detail that's simply quite astonishing.

 
This is not directed at you, but sometimes, in respect of some products, it is hard to tell if the terms like the above are subjective or objective (and this is a trend that has existed for a while now). Most of the time though, it is subjective, either because the person has heard no better or because it is just how they feel at the time. Too many superlative words get thrown around when someone hears something good. Yes, good things can occur in more than one thing, but when a person bigs up one product after another, it is hard to qualify what the terms can actually mean. They all start to sound the same and become meaningless. Put it this way, if one does something so routinely all the time, it just isn't that special anymore when it once was. 
 
Add this to the fact that everyone has different listening tastes and preferences, and it makes it very very difficult, for someone who has no knowledge of this. In fact, it may mislead someone into getting something that is the total opposite to what they want. 
 
Apr 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #6,612 of 7,980
Quote:
 
This is not directed at you, but sometimes, in respect of some products, it is hard to tell if the terms like the above are subjective or objective (and this is a trend that has existed for a while now). Most of the time though, it is subjective, either because the person has heard no better or because it is just how they feel at the time. Too many superlative words get thrown around when someone hears something good. Yes, good things can occur in more than one thing, but when a person bigs up one product after another, it is hard to qualify what the terms can actually mean. They all start to sound the same and become meaningless. Put it this way, if one does something so routinely all the time, it just isn't that special anymore when it once was. 
 
Add this to the fact that everyone has different listening tastes and preferences, and it makes it very very difficult, for someone who has no knowledge of this. In fact, it may mislead someone into getting something that is the total opposite to what they want. 

 
The reviews are subjective.  I personally weight them with more value if the writer is comparing other products with which I'm familiar.  If an IEM is hugely popular on Head-Fi it's sometimes the result of 'flavour of the month' or a desire to push a sponsor's products, but equally often head phone enthusiasts are simply excited because something is really good and the superlatives start to fly.
 
In this case I don't think the last few reviews have been overly or unfairly negative; in point of fact the review that sparked the 'firestorm' compares the 4ai favourably with other popular headphones, it's just that the end of the day conclusion for him is the price/value ratio isn't satisfying.  For some people $400 is a lot of money, for others it's a casual expense.  For the former it's a bigger investment than the latter and they simply expect more.
 
Apr 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #6,613 of 7,980
Quote:
 
The reviews are subjective.  I personally weight them with more value if the writer is comparing other products with which I'm familiar.  If an IEM is hugely popular on Head-Fi it's sometimes the result of 'flavour of the month' or a desire to push a sponsor's products, but equally often head phone enthusiasts are simply excited because something is really good and the superlatives start to fly.
 
In this case I don't think the last few reviews have been overly or unfairly negative; in point of fact the review that sparked the 'firestorm' compares the 4ai favourably with other popular headphones, it's just that the end of the day conclusion for him is the price/value ratio isn't satisfying.  For some people $400 is a lot of money, for others it's a casual expense.  For the former it's a bigger investment than the latter and they simply expect more.

 
Yup, most definitely. Everyone loves hype, and sometimes hype is good enough to make something work and sell well. I mean, hype something big enough, someone makes their first big purchase on that hype, not knowing any better, they'd join the bandwagon. It'd be much more credible if they have heard comparable products and then formed a positive opinion. There are so many variables that go into a review :)
 
Apr 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #6,614 of 7,980
I am more than aware of hype that surrounds head-fi and do take most reviews with a pinch of salt. In fact several pounds. But as a musician and having done an engineering degree at MIT, I value double blind tests and consider them to be the be all and end all in judging high end audio (of course measurements are great but then they are difficult to do it properly when you don't have the necessary gear at hand).
 
And so, whenever I get new products whether it be IEMs or amps etc, I always choose to blind test them on at least ten or more of my fellow music students (with volume matching etc of course). A lot of items rarely yield consistent results especially so for amps as a lot of head-fiers seem to think that amps have magical qualities. In my experience, the same tends to hold for IEMs but when the differences are clear as night and day as it was in the case with the SE535 and 4Ai (seven people picked the 4Ai over the SE535 out of eight), I believe the term blow away is indeed apt for usage. 
 
Even comparison reviews I find unhelpful. Visual stimuli inevitably distorts what one would hear. Especially if volumes aren't matched, the louder one will always sound better. 
 
Apr 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #6,615 of 7,980
Quote:
I am more than aware of hype that surrounds head-fi and do take most reviews with a pinch of salt. In fact several pounds. But as a musician and having done an engineering degree at MIT, I value double blind tests and consider them to be the be all and end all in judging high end audio (of course measurements are great but then they are difficult to do it properly when you don't have the necessary gear at hand).
 
And so, whenever I get new products whether it be IEMs or amps etc, I always choose to blind test them on at least ten or more of my fellow music students (with volume matching etc of course). A lot of items rarely yield consistent results especially so for amps as a lot of head-fiers seem to think that amps have magical qualities. In my experience, the same tends to hold for IEMs but when the differences are clear as night and day as it was in the case with the SE535 and 4Ai (seven people picked the 4Ai over the SE535 out of eight), I believe the term blow away is indeed apt for usage. 
 
Even comparison reviews I find unhelpful. Visual stimuli inevitably distorts what one would hear. Especially if volumes aren't matched, the louder one will always sound better. 

 
Not to mention that the be all and end all tests are subjective too. Unless the IEM shape itself is the same, made of the same material, size etc, without having any physical difference but for the interior, people would be able to tell the difference :wink:
 
Like I said, not having a dig at you at all. Visual stimuli is just one thing out of many other variables. But good to know they have the same preference as you! :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top