The Wife has lost her mind!
Jun 10, 2004 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
Found this in the fridge tonight. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that Philly Cream Cheese was made out of meat
biggrin.gif

Cheese.jpg

I think she's gone completely mad.
rolleyes.gif

Anyone else's Wife buy "Health" food?

The other day she bought this "Free Trade" coffee at one of those New Age-y type stores. Supposedly this poor Columbian farmer got screwed by the big coffee buyer and can't make a living blah, blah, blah.

So I go to make coffee one morning and open the bag.
It smells like an ashtray, no coffee aroma whatsoever.
I made a pot anyway and it was undrinkable, worst coffee I've ever had (and I've have bad).

BTW, the "Cream Cheese" tases like crap!

Jun 10, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Found this in the fridge tonight. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that Philly Cream Cheese was made out of meat
biggrin.gif

Cheese.jpg

I think she's gone completely mad.
rolleyes.gif

Anyone else's Wife buy "Health" food?

The other day she bought this "Free Trade" coffee at one of those New Age-y type stores. Supposedly this poor Columbian farmer got screwed by the big coffee buyer and can't make a living blah, blah, blah.

So I go to make coffee one morning and open the bag.
It smells like an ashtray, no coffee aroma whatsoever.
I made a pot anyway and it was undrinkable, worst coffee I've ever had (and I've have bad).

BTW, the "Cream Cheese" tases like crap!

How can it taste like crap when it's "Absolutely Delicious And Nutritious? I think you need another taste...
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 47
My parents are absolutely obsessed with this health food crap. Everything they buy says "natural" on it somewhere. It all tastes terrible, too. One of the most disgusting things I've eaten was "natural mayonase". It made me feel as though my insides were dissolving.

Jun 10, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 47
Free Trade coffee is actually perfectly legit--it tastes a hell of a lot better than the starbucks dyed piss that passes for coffee to most yuppies nowadays. Further, it is absolutely true that a lot of South American farmers are exploited for "The Best Part of Waking Up."
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 47
Let me make a list of the things my mother doesn't eat...

1) Meat
2) Fish
3) Dairy
4) Eggs
5) Gelatin
6) Honey
7) Sugar
8) White carbohydrates
9) Lettuce
10) Hydrogenated fats
11) Salty foods
12) Fatty foods
13) Pasta

I'm probably missing a few. You get the idea? Her fridge is stocked with tofu, rice bread (yes, I said *rice* bread), and broccoli.

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 47
There is good health food out there. Frankly its a good thing if she knows where what she bought came from. Vegetarian food can be good... just not the stuff that tries really hard to taste like meat.

Organic, Free range meats usually taste better too. I have a thing for that nice gamey flavor.

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Free Trade coffee is actually perfectly legit--it tastes a hell of a lot better than the starbucks dyed piss that passes for coffee to most yuppies nowadays. Further, it is absolutely true that a lot of South American farmers are exploited for "The Best Part of Waking Up."
rolleyes.gif

i can second this, they serve the Free Trade coffee in our dorm cafeterias and it'd be fine if it wasn't all water. but then again no one makes coffee as strong as i like it.

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Let me make a list of the things my mother doesn't eat...

1) Meat
2) Fish
3) Dairy
4) Eggs
5) Gelatin
6) Honey
7) Sugar
8) White carbohydrates
9) Lettuce
10) Hydrogenated fats
11) Salty foods
12) Fatty foods
13) Pasta

I'm probably missing a few. You get the idea? Her fridge is stocked with tofu, rice bread (yes, I said *rice* bread), and broccoli.

I guess your mom never heard that Fish is one of the healthiest things you can eat.

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I guess your mom never heard that Fish is one of the healthiest things you can eat.

Fish is good for you in general, but I think she has memorized the exact amounts of trace metals in every type of fish. Also, once she became vegan she'd eat fish occasionally but eventually couldn't think of eating any form of mammal/fish.

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 47
I just watch my fat intake closely (sodium to a lesser degree), eat lightly and get NO exercise
tongue.gif

Lately I'm drifting more toward increasing my intake of fruits & vegetables (particularly fruits... tastes good, filling, nutritious, high fiber, fairly inexpensive, anti-cancer properties galore). Now there's a really natural food, without the BS... just gotta branch out a bit more beyond bananas and apples...
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 47
I grew up eating a health nut diet. Home made bread, nothing but raw honey for sweetener, no foods with chemical additives. It was awful.
Honey is very good for you, in moderation. Not that pasteurized processed crap though, it has no flavor anyway. Good raw honey is great.

If my wife came home with that stuff Todd posted, there would be trouble. The closest she has come to that is non fat sour cream. That was bad enough.

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 47
My wife doesn't eat beef,pork and only organic fruits. I have come to enjoy ground Turkey and Turkey burgers ain't bad at all. I gotta have a big juicy steak or a slab or ribs every once in a while but my wife won't cook them for me.

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 47
Since I'm a runner in college, I get the pleasure of pretty much eating whatever I want, since my mega-metabolism burns it off changing the channels on the TV. But seriously, I'll eat anything that had a mother or a head
cool.gif

During the season though I do like to watch what I eat, so I pretty much eliminate candy (which I don't eat anyways), deep fried foods and fast food.

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 47
I purposely avoid anything that says "healthy" or "low fat" or anything else that implies that it's good for you. I don't give a rat's rear-end if it's good for me, I want something that tastes good. I do like turkey stuff, though. Turkey dogs and turkey sausage do taste pretty good. But nothing satisfies like a 3/4 lb triple cheeseburger or a pound of bacon. And I do quite a bit of walking each day, generally around 1 1/2 or 2 miles or more just for transportation needs (no car). I think it's pretty stupid that some people will run for 45 minutes each day and claim it is adding 5 years to their life, when really they are using it all and then some just running each day. I won't take any extra effort to add any years to my life span, I only live this life once so might as well enjoy it.

And I do agree that Starbucks' coffee tastes like crap. My mom's old, half-working coffee maker that doesn't heat the water enough makes better tasting coffee than Starbucks. I'm glad gas stations haven't emulated Starbucks all the way, I still like gas station coffee the best and its cheaper, too. And Winchell's donuts makes pretty good coffee.

Jun 10, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
Vegetarian food can be good... just not the stuff that tries really hard to taste like meat.

Exactly! I love a lot of vegetarian food, but anything that tries to resemble meat tastes like crap. I'll do some vegetarian stuff along with a nice, organically raised piece of beef.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back