The WickedSchiit Meet Impressions Nov, 18th 2018
Nov 19, 2018 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gc335

Headphoneus Supremus
First of all, I can't thank Schiit Audio, Audeze, Empire Ears, AV Therapy, Periapt Cables and Mod House Audio enough for helping make this meet a massive success. I had a great time and the feedback from you guys was great.

I didn't have a ton of time to check out the gear but I wanted to share a few thoughts.

The Schiit stacks were plentiful. I spent some time with a few of them. The Gungnir MB/MJ2/LCD4z was definite endgame material. Monster detail that kept me going from track to track. Huge fan. The little Fulla paired with the LCD2 Closed back was also very impressive. I didn't know much about the Fulla before this meet but to have a little device that you can just plug into a computer and get planar pushing power is amazing. This little thing is a serious value. The Lyr3 was also impressive. I tried it with my Eikons are really enjoyed it.

The Empire Ears Legend X paired with the Hugo 2 was seriously impressive. Best mobile rig that I've ever heard IMO.

The Mod House prototype was seriously impressive. It was very genre specific but it did it so well. Great job Ryan. I'm sure there are several people at the meet that are watching for them to move to production.

Periapt is a cable company that I never heard of until this meet. They make budget cables and seem to be seriously good for the money. You can get some seriously good looking and durable cables for well under $100. They will be my first stop the next time I'm looking for some cables.

I got a very brief listen to the Chord Dave paired with the LCD4z. I wish I would have had a little more time with it. Next year hopefully.

A special thanks to all the Head-Fiers that came out to the meet. There were a few familiar faces and a few new faces. It was great meeting you and getting a chance to check out some of your gear was a treat. I'm hoping to do this again next year and make it even bigger. Hopefully I'll see you guys there.

@JWizzlez @Richsvt @Mullet @porkfried @dspigs0705 @JoshMo @spwath @CleverAudioName @Mark Up @pbandstefanwich @bagwell359 @fac @ninjapirate9901 @Tulon @TooPoor @Dufi001 @audioelements

IMG_3759.JPGIMG_3760.JPGIMG_3761.JPGIMG_3762.JPGIMG_3763.JPGIMG_3764.JPGIMG_3767.JPGIMG_3768.JPGIMG_3769.JPGIMG_3770.JPGIMG_3771.JPGIMG_3772.JPGIMG_3773.JPGIMG_3774.JPGIMG_3775.JPGIMG_3776.JPGIMG_3777.JPGIMG_3778.JPGIMG_3779.JPGIMG_3780.JPGIMG_3781.JPGIMG_3782.JPGIMG_3783.JPGIMG_3784.JPGIMG_3785.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 20
IMG_3786.JPG IMG_3787.JPG IMG_3788.JPG IMG_3789.JPG IMG_3790.JPG IMG_3791.JPG IMG_3792.JPG IMG_3793.JPG IMG_3794.JPG IMG_3795.JPG IMG_3796.JPG IMG_3797.JPG IMG_3798.JPG

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 20
Wow! :)

I wish I could have made it, looks like this was super well put together- good show!

I am hoping for some input on the LCD 2 Closed vs XC- anyone into both at the meet?

Also, do elaborate on these bits here (photo attached).
I didn't get a chance to try the rig that you pictured. Hopefully someone else can comment. I compared the XC to the LCD2 CB. The XC is more neutral in my opinion and the LCD2 CB is more fun. It has a little more bass. I seriously like the LCD2 CB. It is on my short list fo gear to pick up next year.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 20
Wow! :)

I wish I could have made it, looks like this was super well put together- good show!

I am hoping for some input on the LCD 2 Closed vs XC- anyone into both at the meet?

Also, do elaborate on these bits here (photo attached).
Ooh, that's my system. That is a Pete millett junokutchi, a diy design (built by @JoshMo ), and a Theta DSPro progeny. You can read about the jonokutchi on Pete Millett's site. The theta is a dac from the 1990's, theta was Mike moffats business before schitt.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 20
Seriously good short impression dude!

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 20
Nov 20, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 20
First of all, I can't thank Schiit Audio, Audeze, Empire Ears, AV Therapy, Periapt Cables and Mod House Audio enough for helping make this meet a massive success. I had a great time and the feedback from you guys was great.
One of the best audio meets I've had in the New England area. Many thanks @gc335. Got a chance to hear the soekris 1541 DAC, very impressive. Regarding to the headphones, I am generally a speaker guy. I felt that the Audeze phones provide a sense of ambience that is very close to what I hear from a speaker system - the sound stages, sense of air-moving, and space. It also reminds me the "naturalness" of those magnetic planar speakers.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 20
One of the best audio meets I've had in the New England area. Many thanks @gc335. Got a chance to hear the soekris 1541 DAC, very impressive. Regarding to the headphones, I am generally a speaker guy. I felt that the Audeze phones provide a sense of ambience that is very close to what I hear from a speaker system - the sound stages, sense of air-moving, and space. It also remind me the "naturalness" of those magnetic planar speakers.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Glad you had a good time!

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 20
Ooh, that's my system. That is a Pete millett junokutchi, a diy design (built by @JoshMo ), and a Theta DSPro progeny. You can read about the jonokutchi on Pete Millett's site. The theta is a dac from the 1990's, theta was Mike moffats business before schitt.
Looks excellent! Can the Theta DS Pro Progeny still go? I have the Cobalt 307 and love it to bits, I have a chance to grab a Progeny around my neck of the woods.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 20
Sorry for the late impressions - finally found some free time since the meet.

Good Stuff:
Location, food spread, bar in the lobby - a really really well put together headphone meet. Gene - you are an amazing dude for putting this all together. Canjam / Jude watch out or hire this guy for Wicked Canjam. A real location with real tables, felt spoiled. Very very swank for a north east meet that has been looking for a nice home for a while. Being able to go grab a beer was nice too.
People - the community makes the meet, no doubt. Awesome turnout, lots of familiar faces, lots of new ones. Hope we can continue to keep momentum building into the future meets (and convince Gene to keep organizing!)
Schiit care package & Audeze box of goodies - Schiit sponsored the event, sent a major care package filled full to the brim of their DACs, amps, Loki the EQ, macbooks to use as sources, and a really cool mix of current headphones. Too cool guys. Audeze also send a massive container of most of their line up. So many headphones to compare and analyze.
THX AAA 789 - I was really impressed with this little amp. I'm pretty biased against SS, and I tend to think they are engaging and kinda boring. THX was sharp, tight, powerful, dynamic - but not grainy, harsh or fatiguing like I would have expected. Liked it well enough that I picked one up for myself. Nice job Massdrop
Hifiman Arya - I was totally unaware of this headphone - seems like a cheaper cousin of the HE1000? Liked the gunmetal grey look, was slightly brighter than he1000 v1 i previously owned, and also lost a bit of the air / ethereal sound he1000 is known for. Decent buy and a much better MSRP than I was expecting.
Audeze LCD4z - They make a z model?!?!? More efficient, more even version of LCD4, ok, I will try it. This is maybe the first Audeze I could see myself listening to everyday. I wasnt as crazy high on it as a few others, but I thought it was a quality headphone that would warrant some more listening. To me sounds more natural and even than LCD4.
Modhouse Audio - I had never heard of these modders before, and thought it was going to be another standard set of t50rp mods that all sound more similair than different. Nope, very very pleasantly surprised at both the standard model and the potential secret research and development model that was brought to the meet. Keep up the good work man!
AV Therapy - Just learned there was a huge and well stocked hifi store close by! Its like finding out they opened an amusement park / candy store / toy store near by. Awesome guys came to the meet and even thought it was their first one, they fit right in. Nice meeting you all! Awesome to see vendors at our meets.

Less good stuff:
Ice Cream Car - This was literally some ice pops and frozen yogurt pops from the grocery store stuck in a bowl with some ice cubes? Double Tree - come on guys! (was nice to have anything)
Mr. Speakers Ether 2 - While this headphone would be on top of my build quality / comfort list, its not near the top of my lists when it comes to headphones I want to listen to. Dips and spikes all in the wrong places for my preferences. Still a bit soft / uneven for the pricetag.
Other LCD headphones - The Audeze tradition of getting my hopes up and leaving underwhelmed continues (other than LCD4z). These are all a bit too muddy / dark for me. I know lots love them, I'm just more of a hifiman planar type of dude.
Luxman headamp / dac combo - another A+ build quality / features combo, but lacked the high end sound behind I was hoping to find. Was excited to try this out, but for whatever it didn't grab me.

Thanks again to sponsors, hosts, Gene the ultimate organizer. Hope to see everyone again soon. Lots of fun all around!

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 20
Sorry for the late impressions - finally found some free time since the meet.

Good Stuff:
Location, food spread, bar in the lobby - a really really well put together headphone meet. Gene - you are an amazing dude for putting this all together. Canjam / Jude watch out or hire this guy for Wicked Canjam. A real location with real tables, felt spoiled. Very very swank for a north east meet that has been looking for a nice home for a while. Being able to go grab a beer was nice too.
People - the community makes the meet, no doubt. Awesome turnout, lots of familiar faces, lots of new ones. Hope we can continue to keep momentum building into the future meets (and convince Gene to keep organizing!)
Schiit care package & Audeze box of goodies - Schiit sponsored the event, sent a major care package filled full to the brim of their DACs, amps, Loki the EQ, macbooks to use as sources, and a really cool mix of current headphones. Too cool guys. Audeze also send a massive container of most of their line up. So many headphones to compare and analyze.
THX AAA 789 - I was really impressed with this little amp. I'm pretty biased against SS, and I tend to think they are engaging and kinda boring. THX was sharp, tight, powerful, dynamic - but not grainy, harsh or fatiguing like I would have expected. Liked it well enough that I picked one up for myself. Nice job Massdrop
Hifiman Arya - I was totally unaware of this headphone - seems like a cheaper cousin of the HE1000? Liked the gunmetal grey look, was slightly brighter than he1000 v1 i previously owned, and also lost a bit of the air / ethereal sound he1000 is known for. Decent buy and a much better MSRP than I was expecting.
Audeze LCD4z - They make a z model?!?!? More efficient, more even version of LCD4, ok, I will try it. This is maybe the first Audeze I could see myself listening to everyday. I wasnt as crazy high on it as a few others, but I thought it was a quality headphone that would warrant some more listening. To me sounds more natural and even than LCD4.
Modhouse Audio - I had never heard of these modders before, and thought it was going to be another standard set of t50rp mods that all sound more similair than different. Nope, very very pleasantly surprised at both the standard model and the potential secret research and development model that was brought to the meet. Keep up the good work man!
AV Therapy - Just learned there was a huge and well stocked hifi store close by! Its like finding out they opened an amusement park / candy store / toy store near by. Awesome guys came to the meet and even thought it was their first one, they fit right in. Nice meeting you all! Awesome to see vendors at our meets.

Less good stuff:
Ice Cream Car - This was literally some ice pops and frozen yogurt pops from the grocery store stuck in a bowl with some ice cubes? Double Tree - come on guys! (was nice to have anything)
Mr. Speakers Ether 2 - While this headphone would be on top of my build quality / comfort list, its not near the top of my lists when it comes to headphones I want to listen to. Dips and spikes all in the wrong places for my preferences. Still a bit soft / uneven for the pricetag.
Other LCD headphones - The Audeze tradition of getting my hopes up and leaving underwhelmed continues (other than LCD4z). These are all a bit too muddy / dark for me. I know lots love them, I'm just more of a hifiman planar type of dude.
Luxman headamp / dac combo - another A+ build quality / features combo, but lacked the high end sound behind I was hoping to find. Was excited to try this out, but for whatever it didn't grab me.

Thanks again to sponsors, hosts, Gene the ultimate organizer. Hope to see everyone again soon. Lots of fun all around!
Thanks buddy!! Glad you had a good time. Sorry about the icecream bar. The hotel did drop the ball. They didn’t charge us for us. It was supposed to be a full spread. Next time!!!!

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #14 of 20
Super late with my impressions as well...

Big thank you to Gene for organizing and Schiit plus Audio Video Therapy from Nashua for bringing along so much gear.

Venue was great and the food was definitely better than anything I've had at a meet before. Good to see the usual suspects and meet a few new faces as well.

Some real quick impressions:
  • Modhouse Audio - New T50RP tuning - sounded pretty damn spot on. Really good overall FR, probably the standout item I heard at the meet.
  • HE-6 - Forgot how good these things sounded. Pork's 4 screw version definitely sounded a little smoother than Josh's one (which I have on loan right now). 789 did a surprisingly reasonable job of driving the HE-6 (high gain setting, half way up the dial).
  • Audeze LCD-4z - definitely has the Audeze house sound, good solid bass, darkish treble. Not enough of a step up from my LCD-2's to make me want to upgrade. Also for a "lightweight" Audeze, these are still pretty damn heavy...
  • Schiit Fulla - Surprisingly not bad for a little AIO. May have to pick one up for my setup at work. Drove the LCD-4z and HD 6xx perfectly.
Will post some pics soon.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 20
Hi!

I'm looking to set up another Schiit Meet this fall. I'm thinking Nov again. Schiit will be sponsoring the meet again and I want to make it even bigger and better this year. Please let me know what your availability is. I'm going to be creating a post soon.

Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back