The Who's halftime show was pretty good for a geriatric band.
Feb 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #17 of 39
Am I the only one that kind of disagrees? I mean, a lot of the guitar playing was sloppy, with random bumps here and there, plus they both got WAY off on timing their vocals in many places. I was kind of disheartened by the whole thing.

My room mate made the comment that it sounded like two old people playing Rockband on stage, and I have to agree.

The lights were cool though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomo.is.ooc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one that kind of disagrees? I mean, a lot of the guitar playing was sloppy, with random bumps here and there, plus they both got WAY off on timing their vocals in many places. I was kind of disheartened by the whole thing.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty pathetic, but that is all I was expecting. Still, I'd prefer that to being stuck with boybands, bootylicious chicks, or backwards country boors. I think the nature of the event dictates that only the most generic, corporate, watered-down, and/or outdated groups would appear in such a spot. So just don't expect much, and you won't be disappointed.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 39
Sloppy, lol. This is rock and roll, not the philharmonic.
tongue_smile.gif
I thought they rocked it pretty respectably for two older guys, and considering it was a medley. Pete even threw in some trademark windmills. Ringo's kid on drums was also cool. And yeah, the light effects were spectacular. I vote thumbs up.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #21 of 39
The Flaming Lips' halftime show will be badass...
tentatively scheduled for Super Bowl LVIII.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Flaming Lips' halftime show will be badass...
tentatively scheduled for Super Bowl LVIII.

lulz

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lulz

heck, it may happen sooner... they've already done a yogurt ad!
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #24 of 39
as a long time fan of the Who, I had mustered the entire family to watch "this great band of the times when dad was young". At first I was embarrassed by Daltrey singing, "he must have a cold" I announced when he started butchering 'See me Feel me'. What really depressed me though was that Towhshend was playing air guitar while some serious musicians backed him up in the background.
It was a great game, we didn't need that break, really...

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heck, it may happen sooner... they've already done a yogurt ad!
tongue.gif

unaware - tell me it's not Activia!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sloppy, lol. This is rock and roll, not the philharmonic.
tongue_smile.gif
I thought they rocked it pretty respectably for two older guys, and considering it was a medley. Pete even threw in some trademark windmills. Ringo's kid on drums was also cool. And yeah, the light effects were spectacular. I vote thumbs up.

Yea, but hearing guitar bumps and having them sing the same thing but 4 or 5 seconds off doesn't sound ok; it was cluttered. It wasn't rock and roll, and if it is reflective of the heyday of rock and roll, than thank god that's over.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as a long time fan of the Who, I had mustered the entire family to watch "this great band of the times when dad was young".

If you want a somewhat recent performance of The Who that was smoking....go youtube the band's performance at the 9/11 Concert For New York City. The Who was on fire that night!

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #28 of 39
Ok, this is not a studio album but yah the timing was off but I enjoyed Pete wail on his guitar and Roger has lost his vocal range but the light show was cool. Overall I'm not disappointed but Ringo's son should have shown more Moon swagger behind the kit and the bassist replacement for Entwistle was not even in the picture. For people who saw the Who as the original group it must have been magical because all of the energy they had on stage ala Monterey Pop festival.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #29 of 39
HELL Maybe we could all write in an see if next year they could get the "MONKIEEES" for the show............That's a joke, youngsters! I saw the Who in their Hay Day and they were just as bad "SLOPPY" back then........I guess, to each their own!......Not all of "US" old farts are stuck in the 60s/70s......OK!!!!

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #30 of 39
Are we forgetting this is Television?

My guess is that the #1 sponsor has some say in this. Anheiser Busch probably thought those 'old' Who fans drink more Bud than the fans of a 'younger' band.

Maybe you can convince the Belgian Brewer that no one drinks more beer than Kei$ha fans? Then 'stuck in the 70's' can refer to IQ instead of age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back