The Who's halftime show was pretty good for a geriatric band.
Feb 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
Neither Roger nor Pete could hit the range of yesteryear but they did a good job with the show.

The lighting show was very good and the old boys had me singing. All in all as good a halftime as we've seen in a while.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 39
I still think Prince's half time show was the best. It was dark, purple, and literally raining. It was one of those moments where everything came together and transcended the sum of its parts.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lighting show was very good

No kidding, our host flipped off the lights once the effect was evident. There was less background chatter than during the game. I'd say that is an effective halftime show.

Still dnyc has a point for me. Prince is still my fave, plus I thought the Boss represented well last year. It all is a bit of a blur before that, save the wardrobe malfunction deal.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I wonder if the NFL is moving back to the Stone Age of rock after the Timberlake fiasco haha. Ok I'm kidding The Who and the Boss aren't that old...

The test of "too old" is to ask an 18 year old if they'd do them.

For some reason I expect to see the word "throbbing" in the Prince references. He did re-earn my respect with his performance in the bowl.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither Roger nor Pete could hit the range of yesteryear but they did a good job with the show.

The lighting show was very good and the old boys had me singing. All in all as good a halftime as we've seen in a while.

Agreed. The mod-symbol cymbals were pretty amazing as well.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 39
That CSI band was pretty good although that guitar player should save his money and buy some nicer clothes.
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I wonder if the NFL is moving back to the Stone Age of rock after the Timberlake fiasco haha. Ok I'm kidding The Who and the Boss aren't that old...

It's not really a joke though. I mean, that's exactly what happened. They tried an MTV production and it blew up in their faces, and it's been old fogies ever since. This is a serious problem in the music scene right now. The days of the rock and roll superstars appear to be over, and the contemporary R&B stars don't seem to have any live performance credibility. The rappers and metal artists can't be trusted to write a song without a swear word every 4 bars. It's almost like there is no choice in the matter but to get a rock star from 20-50 years ago and hope he can still put on a good show.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not really a joke though. I mean, that's exactly what happened. They tried an MTV production and it blew up in their faces, and it's been old fogies ever since. This is a serious problem in the music scene right now. The days of the rock and roll superstars appear to be over, and the contemporary R&B stars don't seem to have any live performance credibility. The rappers and metal artists can't be trusted to write a song without a swear word every 4 bars. It's almost like there is no choice in the matter but to get a rock star from 20-50 years ago and hope he can still put on a good show.

It's only a problem because baby boomers (speaking as a generalization/stereotype, I know it's not all of them) seem to be stuck in their teens and still listen to the same stuff they did in 1970. There are plenty of great rock bands out there that my dad has never heard of (he is, as chance would have it, right about the same age as the remaining members of The Who).

At some point all of their favorite old musicians will be too elderly to put on a "spectacle" style show without embarrassing themselves, and maybe then they will start hiring more modern acts, like bands from the 80s
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 39
I vote for Muse next year.. that'd be a good 15 minutes
smily_headphones1.gif
never happen but hey..I'm still hoping for a Pink Floyd halftime show with trippy lights and stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

The rappers and metal artists can't be trusted to write a song without a swear word every 4 bars.

I heard an interesting tidbit that has something to do with this from a friend who covered the Grammys last week. Remember all that bleeping during the Eminem segment? Well, allegedly Eminem actually did a cleaned-up version of that song he performed, and even though he informed the network censors of it he was bleeped anyway because they didn't trust him. Kind of a shame when your reputation precedes you like that.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 39
Would a lot of young bands find playing in the Super Bowl equivalent to "selling out"? At least partially. Like, is it un-cool to play in the Super Bowl?

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

It's not really a joke though. I mean, that's exactly what happened. They tried an MTV production and it blew up in their faces, and it's been old fogies ever since. This is a serious problem in the music scene right now. The days of the rock and roll superstars appear to be over

Radiohead could put on a great halftime show.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wham City /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radiohead could put on a great halftime show.

Yes they could (even though I am of the Who generation) I also resent a previous poster's assertion that baby boomers are stuck in their teens and only listen to the stuff they grew up on. I think you will find that much of any generation can be stuffed into that pigeonhole. I can think of a few modern bands that could pull off a SB halftime as well, and play live well (or great).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back