The Who--Ultimate Collection 2CD set + bonus disc. Out now!
Jun 11, 2002 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
One of my all-time favorite bands and surely in the top five or at least top ten bands ever to play rock 'n roll. Depressed about the current state of rock? Check this out!

This is virtually all The Who you'll ever need, re-mastered and re-packaged with a nice overview of the band and it's history. You also get a free Who sticker (I know "whoopee") plus the earliest pressings have a bonus disc with 4 rare tracks. That's a total of 39 slabs of the best rock n roll ever put down on tape. Jeez-- all "Best Of's" should be this well put together.

Sound wise, it's even better than the '95 re-masters which were leagues better than the original CD issue. Very crisp and dynamic sounding. Of course, many of the early recordings date from the mid-60's but even still, they're treated with respect here.

I got mine at Borders today on sale for $19.99 plus I had a 20% off coupon so it was $17.31 including tax. That's a lot of music for not much scratch. Way, way recommended!

markl

Jun 13, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I got mine at Borders today on sale for $19.99 plus I had a 20% off coupon so it was $17.31 including tax.

Is that that 20% coupon they were handing out in May? I think mine (I had about 6 of them) lasted about 2 days after I was first allowed to start using them.

PS "Who?" "Yes." "Yes?" "No, not them, Who." "That's what I was trying to ask you." "And that's what I'm telling you." etc. Never gets old.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 11
"Is that that 20% coupon they were handing out in May? I think mine (I had about 6 of them) lasted about 2 days after I was first allowed to start using them."

Yes, the same coupon.

"PS "Who?" "Yes." "Yes?" "No, not them, Who." "That's what I was trying to ask you." "And that's what I'm telling you." etc. Never gets old. "

Peter, you'll like this story. I called ahead to Borders to ask about the disc, and they had one copy in stock. When I went in to get it I couldn't find it. So I went to the help desk and asked the clerk to look it up. She was an older Asian woman and perhaps English was not her first language. She couldn't spell "ultimate", and couldn't understand the name of the group. "It's "the Who", says I. "No. The name of the group", says she. "The Who". "Hmmmm, how do you spell that?"

Fortunately at this time a younger clerk intervened and got me the disc.

markl

Jun 14, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 11
At one time the only band that mattered....
....And I won't get fooled again.
You are right a wonderful package and great recording.
I'm still looking for the best "quadrophenia" CD. I love "the real me", it was the gentle lullaby my kids learned to fall asleep to.

Jun 14, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by nick danger
At one time the only band that mattered....
....And I won't get fooled again.
You are right a wonderful package and great recording.
I'm still looking for the best "quadrophenia" CD. I love "the real me", it was the gentle lullaby my kids learned to fall asleep to.

The remaster from a few years ago I find quite enjoyable!

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Was this "Ultimate Collection" 2CD released in Canada? I can't seem to find it at A&B Sound or Future Shop....time to check out HMV or Virgin...

EDIT: Wow. I just skimmed through some of HMV's website, they have it for $42 CDN.... Since I have only heard 2 of the Who's songs, maybe I should search for a better price before paying $43 for a CD. (Well, three CD's)

Jun 15, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 11
has anyone ever tried to count the number of "best of" albums and repackaging of songs the who has done over the years? not to mention the many versions of "whos next". why buy this set when the NEXT one will be even better and be in sacd!?!
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 11
The last Best Of was circa '96 and was mastered by the great Bob Ludwig. However, how can you possibly cram all the Who's best material into one CD? In that regard, it falls short, though sound is good. The new 2CD set is just about as complete as all but the most die-hard fans will require.

And yes, when the Who's Next comes out on SACD/DVD-A I'll buy that too. And then I'll buy the multi-channel version. And then I'll buy the holographic hallucinatory audio 22-channel version that plugs directly into the spinal column when that comes out.

markl

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 11
I got the 1996 MCA label CD remastered by Bob Ludwig called
"my generation - very best of" and although a single CD it has 20
tracks so you get your money's worth! This is enough Who for me.

Unfortunately even Ludwig can't salvage the poor Pye Studio recording of "my generation" I have yet to hear a decent recording of this classic song
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 11
The original producer of the Who's 1st album "My Generation" owns the master tapes and has not released them to date. He recently put them up for auction on e-bay. Finally, Townshend had enough and bought them. For the first time since the original vinyl pressing, "MyGeneration" the debut lp will be released in its proper form from the proper tapes. That comes out in about a year.

I know way too much about this stuff.
rolleyes.gif

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back