The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #43,321 of 87,492
But why trying to decide for others? Options exist for a reason.

EDIT: Case in point, exactly 1 year ago I didn't buy Traillii because I couldn't get it without the cable. I would have to sell it second hand and lose a lot of money on something that I didn't want in the first place. So I moved on.

drftr
I bought a Traillii about a year ago without the stock cable.
Well, why do I need a cable, I already have a good solution - I thought.

And since then, I've had my doubts since I've never listened to them with the original cable, so I don't know how they were tuned by the manufacture. And because of this, I cannot write a review on them - obviously, when it is not a stock cable, the sound will be different.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #43,322 of 87,492
Sounds like the best single DD yet, tuning-wise. Looks the part too.
It's a dual DD setup, not a single. 😉
So you like these Liquid cable more then the much more expensive Leo II :thinking: it's suits well the OG and supports the positive aspects while occasional I start think welp it's smoothen the music way too much.
I bought the Martini while my Leo was in the shop for a repair but ended up staying with Martini due to added stage expansion, separation & imaging, and further cleaned up treble and added a deeper bass response, the negative being it slightly sharpened the midrange (I can deal though). When I got the Leo back it just seemed dull in comparison, but to be fair the new repair also came with a new earhook style that also forced the iem into a more uncomfortable and less sealing angle for me. I was able to get it to to work for a time but the magic and comfort was gone. Audio memory being what it is and the repair taking over 1.5 months, I am pretty sure Martini was better regardless.
It has a bolder approach with a bit more emphasis on the treble than Turii Ti.
That's an opposing view I have not heard yet. Interesting. Turii Ti is already extremely treble focused for a full range single DD. 🤔
CAEC3D34-8494-458E-9751-034F097A88C4.png
Unfortunately, no Trifecta.
Standalone graph. Looks a little scary but delivery may be everything 😬
Trifecta.png

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #43,323 of 87,492
I love it when the manufacturer focuses on what matters most to me, so I can one and done it. No fuss experimenting with cables needed because they considered it.

For some cable games may just be part of the fun, so for them the no cable option is a good idea.
+1. I like when the manufacturer takes the time to use the best cable in their opinion.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #43,324 of 87,492
It's a dual DD setup, not a single. 😉

I bought the Martini while my Leo was in the shop for a repair but ended up staying with Martini due to added stage expansion, separation & imaging, and further cleaned up treble and added a deeper bass response, the negative being it slightly sharpened the midrange (I can deal though). When I got the Leo back it just seemed dull in comparison, but to be fair the new repair also came with a new earhook style that also forced the iem into a more uncomfortable and less sealing angle for me. I was able to get it to to work for a time but the magic and comfort was gone. Audio memory being what it is and the repair taking over 1.5 months, I am pretty sure Martini was better regardless.

That's an opposing view I have not heard yet. Interesting. Turii Ti is already extremely treble focused for a full range single DD. 🤔

Standalone graph. Looks a little scary but delivery may be everything 😬
Trifecta.png
The graph is not even normlized at 1KHz and it sounded exactly like the graph to me. I could barely keep it a minute in my ears :upside_down:

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #43,325 of 87,492
Taking inspiration from the format used by @SteveK27 I put together a little IEM spreadsheet tracking what I've heard and what my favorites are. It's less prescriptive than a proper ranking and I feel this is a great format for merely expressing my thoughts and tracking what I've heard.

Have a look if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ifrc0nCKZ-b4hSBNzGMMZ-Nc3zAXHqio0nqslczmlNI/edit?usp=sharing
Kudos for such an extensive list! It’s amazing Jeff!

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #43,326 of 87,492
Dec 18, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #43,327 of 87,492
The graph is not even normlized at 1KHz and it sounded exactly like the graph to me. I could barely keep it a minute in my ears :upside_down:
CFA and divisive releases, am I right? It seems to be another love it or hate it IEM. Indifference is impossible.
Those 4.5k, 7.5k, 10k peaks look intimidating 🫢
They do, but hearing is believing and just as many people I've talked to enjoy it as don't enjoy it.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #43,328 of 87,492
Holiday survey link for those who haven't seen it yet: https://forms.gle/m1bGBFzX4bqpJqFa6

We're pushing 20 responses so far. When it hits 50 I'll share some results.

In other news Trifecta interestingly graphs similarly to the Pathfinder:

1671390025448.png

Trifecta was love at first (and second, third and fourth) listen for me-- but some have taken some time to connect with it. It won't be for everyone obviously (nothing is) but it is very much worth the effort for those inclined.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #43,329 of 87,492
I agree, for rock type music I would not focus on the SK, and that coupled with my personal fit issues (they are too small for me) was why I have not attempted to own a pair.
Not surprisingly, I will ask if you've looked at the Softears single DD fleet? I have not heard rock drums and guitars from a single DD better portrayed. More detailed, yes of course. Overall feel and dynamics, nope, nothing.

I also owned the tz700 and cannot recommend that as a rock iem, either. Its treble is a bit diffuse and lacking in resolution (that really killed it for me), bass is a little too strong and the mids are tuned in a weird place that sounded disjointed. They were decent on ambient and chill electro and hip hop, but left me cold on organic natural instrument recreation. Sold off fairly quickly.

Turii OG w/ Martini cable and N8ii slays everything for me but isn't for sale anywhere.

Eclipse (according to @Scuba Devils) and Twilight should be high on your demo list and may have similar pedigree with the Eclipse having the bass emphasis and Twilight the mids.
Ha...looks like TZ700 is out of my wishlist.

Eclipse and Twilight are interesting...reading the reviews, it feels like Twilight will be the perfect alternative pair to Dark Sky. Do you agree @Scuba Devils ? Or is the Eclipse pulls ahead of Twilight in terms of stage, imaging, and treble sparkle+extension?

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #43,330 of 87,492
CFA and divisive releases, am I right? It seems to be another love it or hate it IEM. Indifference is impossible.
Haha yes. I actually never heard any CFA before the Trifecta and at the time there was also no graph available. It was straigt up pain to my ears. Never had this before. But I also know some that like it.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #43,331 of 87,492
Haha yes. I actually never heard any CFA before the Trifecta and at the time there was also no graph available. It was straigt up pain to my ears. Never had this before. But I also know some that like it.
Dare I ask what kind of music do you listen to?
What is your favorite IEM so far?

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #43,332 of 87,492

Were you one of the folks who heard it at Munich high end in May?

At the end of the day YMMV and all that.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #43,333 of 87,492
Taking inspiration from the format used by @SteveK27 I put together a little IEM spreadsheet tracking what I've heard and what my favorites are. It's less prescriptive than a proper ranking and I feel this is a great format for merely expressing my thoughts and tracking what I've heard.

Have a look if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ifrc0nCKZ-b4hSBNzGMMZ-Nc3zAXHqio0nqslczmlNI/edit?usp=sharing
When this list grows, you may have a chance to beat Crinacle, at least at the high-end.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #43,334 of 87,492
Dare I ask what kind of music do you listen to?
What is your favorite IEM so far?
Across the board, except for metal, classic and rock. At the moment a lot around electronic/vocals/pop Philter, Pang!, Ennja, Dune, Lydia Ainsworth, Namika. My favorite IEM is the Traillii by far. Second maybe the Phönix. But there is recently another one that I will need to introduce here, but need some proper preparation. I'll also get the MM soon as it is supposed to be an upgrade to the Phönix.

Were you one of the folks who heard it at Munich high end in May?
No I listend it at a headphone shop later, it was a production unit.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #43,335 of 87,492

Don't forget to normalize the graphs whenever you use Squiglinks. They need to be reset every time you go there.

Here's VSG's measurement at 500 Hz.

Trifecta 500.PNG

Here's the Elise Audio measurements normalized at 1000Hz.

Jedi 1K.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back