The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 22, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #40,546 of 87,559
It definitely tames it a smidge which I prefer as I’m not really a “treble head”, I think at the discounted MT price it’s a good buy. I would still rather have the DX240/8mk2 combo though for portability.

Yeah if I could get that combo new for the same price I'd go for it. DX240 with no 4.4 stock is a deal breaker for me right now.

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #40,547 of 87,559
Great preview would be a very different beast from F7u

There's something between them that I could've guessed F5 as F7U's sibling in a blind test 'coz that's exactly what I felt as soon as I plugged F5 in. Frankly I can't make up my mind which I like more and that's saying something because of the significant price difference. If I was a consumer and in the market for an IEM right now, F5's current offer pricing of €899 would've made sure of things not going in favour of F7U. :sweat_smile:

Anyway, here's a graph comparison between Custom Art FIBAE 5 and 7 Unlimited for whoever is interested.

graph.png

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #40,548 of 87,559
Here is a post regarding RS8 I originally posted on the RS8 thread. Should have some additional discussion on it here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...s-and-impressions-thread.964900/post-17256784

So far after about 2 hours of listening, this combination of RS8 + Jewel + Meet Again is my reference portable set up. It is my neutral. It's what I believe most music is supposed to sound like. It's timbrally accurate and very coherent and balanced. I hear it that way especially as I listen to Classical Music and Jazz, but even modern pop, soul, R&B sound correct even as I prefer the bass to be boosted for these music genre.

Edited to add: I wanted to do some IEM rolling this morning, but I cannot take the Jewel out of my ears with the RS8. It just sounds so perfectly accurate. If I were a recording engineer, this is the sound that I would be trying to replicate. This may be my favorite portable set up. But, I feel that way a lot and find that I like something better in a/b tests. For now, this sounds too good to switch from and it makes me want to get a Jewel CIEM.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #40,549 of 87,559
Here is a post regarding RS8 I originally posted on the RS8 thread. Should have some additional discussion on it here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...s-and-impressions-thread.964900/post-17256784

So far after about 2 hours of listening, this combination of RS8 + Jewel + Meet Again is my reference portable set up. It is my neutral. It's what I believe most music is supposed to sound like. It's timbrally accurate and very coherent and balanced. I hear it that way especially as I listen to Classical Music and Jazz, but even modern pop, soul, R&B sound correct even as I prefer the bass to be boosted for these music genre.

Edited to add: I wanted to do some IEM rolling this morning, but I cannot take the Jewel out of my ears with the RS8. It just sounds so perfectly accurate. If I were a recording engineer, this is the sound that I would be trying to replicate. This may be my favorite portable set up. But, I feel that way a lot and find that I like something better in a/b tests. For now, this sounds too good to switch from and it makes me want to get a Jewel CIEM.
So, what cable is Meet Again?

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #40,550 of 87,559
Why don’t we have two or three days of members posting pics of their cats, then dogs and lastly other pets?

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #40,551 of 87,559
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #40,552 of 87,559
@Rockwell75, I am listening to Anni with stock Martini cable and RS8. This is a pairing made in heaven. The RS8 actually makes Anni sound like it has decent bass. For some reason, the bass is more textured than with N8ii or M2. I love this sound, too. My favorite pairing for Annihilator is RS8. I will switch to Venom cable later to see what that does to sound.

As much as I loved the Jewel treble, Anni is better. It sounds great with pop music because it has a u-shaped signature so bass is elevated and treble is much more detailed. Definitely off reference and great for different genre of music.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #40,554 of 87,559

You killed me!
Is N8ii so far from RS8 with Jewel Both?

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #40,555 of 87,559
You killed me!
Is N8ii so far from RS8 with Jewel Both?
I will A/B test them later when I get a chance. Jewel with N8ii is great, too. I just need to A/B test them to see which I actually like more side by side.

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #40,556 of 87,559
Do you find it mutes Annihilator's treble excellence, or is this more of a personal preference thing? I'm on a quest to get the most bang for my buck with a sub $1K DAP.
DX300 with AMP12 module is a warmer/ euphonic voicing and I heard Anni on that and found it sublime.

Maybe it helped attenuate some spice up top and brought forth the low end weight a bit - I found the synergy fantastic with Anni (as you witnessed).

I know that the DX320 Edition X would likely sound too sharp with this

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back