The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 17, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #40,082 of 87,555
Oh man, I really used to like you until you mentioned pairing with RH. :beyersmile: :wink:

Seriously though, getting RH back has been ony mind and even more so when I heard this yesterday. I can see them working very well together so not totally surprised to see you day this. When I had FE I eventually paired them with Orph but I felt like it pushed them too far in the direction they're already in. FT would 100% be my go to (or Meet Again) if there's a round 2 for myself and Red. When I compared FT and Orph on Jewel, FT was more U shaped which I would think, would synergize well with Red. FT doesnt have Orph stage but using FT with Jewel, the stage is still monumental. Obviously DMP is a bass monster but how do you find the treble with Red?

Also see you mentioned Diana. These seem to be a favourite pairing with DMP but I've not seen anyone mention lack of headroom using them...?

Had a very brief play with gain using Jewel yesterday and low gain sounded perfect. 👌
Bone conduction with the DMPZ1 is palpably good. Like you really feel it - like 30 foot concert speakers pounding through your chest kind of way. Simply awesome!

When I compare Atilla and Orpheus the treble really doesn’t suffer. Never heard FT but I have to admit the orph’s rep as a bass enhancer with all that thick copper goodness sealed the deal for me.

As for the Diana, I have the superconductor cables which may be a factor … then again those years as a kid working in forging and metal stamping plants were probably bigger factors! Then again those experiences made me work harder in school (cuz life in the forge was not for me) so - among other things like paying for a roof over my head - it afforded me the opportunity to get my mitts on some cool toys.

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #40,083 of 87,555
Have you ever tried Hiby WH2 DD? A year later, these are still my daily go-to tws iems w/LDAC support. Just noticed they sold out in Hiby store, and now I'm regretting for not getting a backup pair...
No not yet. But on my radar now. I am also looking at the JVC HA-FW1000T. Will probably order them soon.

But to be honest, at the moment I don't feel any urge to get another pair. I am really impressed by the ath-twx9. Listening to them at the moment and I think I will not put anything else in my ears for some time :ksc75smile: It's also cool that you can do tip rolling on them. Many have very thin nozzles so you can't put ordinary IEM tips on them, but the ath-twx9 holds IEM tips very well.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #40,084 of 87,555
Bone conduction with the DMPZ1 is palpably good. Like you really feel it - like 30 foot concert speakers pounding through your chest kind of way. Simply awesome!

When I compare Atilla and Orpheus the treble really doesn’t suffer. Never heard FT but I have to admit the orph’s rep as a bass enhancer with all that thick copper goodness sealed the deal for me.

As for the Diana, I have the superconductor cables which may be a factor … then again those years as a kid working in forging and metal stamping plants were probably bigger factors! Then again those experiences made me work harder in school (cuz life in the forge was not for me) so - among other things like paying for a roof over my head - it afforded me the opportunity to get my mitts on some cool toys.
And what's your flavour for music?

Nov 17, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #40,085 of 87,555
You may want to try the 1950s cable or, with much much less financial risk snap up @SteveK27's clone of this cable on the Classifieds for an incredibly low price...

I'm afraid your excellent comment will remain undervalued until more people will run into trouble. Let's just hope that will never happen.

Promise me you're not eyeing the crazy 8-wire that we checked, will you?

I'm about to bite the bullet on yet another Noble IEM, the Sultan, that like the KK I also prefer over Traillii, and from reading I thought the obvious candidate for a Noble-fan-in-the-making, the Ragnar would sound too lean for my liking. But I'm not much into bass at all as it almost without exception cloggs up orchestral music, so I'm very curious to read more thoughts on mostly tonality differences between KK - Sultan - Ragnar. For me with the right tips the sub/mid/upper bass level is perfect on KK and Sultan, and although I could do with a little less I would only accept that if the mids don't lose their natural warmth. For technicalities I'm not going to suffer with any of these monsters anyway so I will happily compromise on that if I have to, but on tonality and naturalness I won't. Thoughts?

drftr
Personally, I like Noble. Particularly the Damascus. The Noble Viking is just another level above the rest.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #40,086 of 87,555
I have a 1950s PWA cable in our classifieds

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #40,087 of 87,555
Thank you for your impressions.

You didn’t say much about KK but still say you prefer it over the Bird even though you felt the mids are too recessed? I’ve just ordered a KK and would love to know your thoughts on it especially with more energetic music.

I’m wondering if the Ragnar sheen is being tamed by the Orpheus cable…

Also curious more thoughts about the comparisons with tracks more geared toward the trailliis tuning.

Can’t wait to hear more from you. :)

Thanks again for your impressions as they are super helpful to those of us that won’t get to hear some of these before a purchase. You really have me wanting to hear the Ragnar!!
I am hoping to have some time tomorrow set aside for more extensive listening and impressions!
+1 really making me want to hear Ragnar. Beethoven's 5&7 by Pittsburgh Symphony/Manfred Honeck is one of my go to album, next to Karajan and Kleiber. If it can do that well, it should be worth a listen. And I enjoyed your other EDM track too @yaps66 :wink:
Thanks! The 7th is my second favourite of Beethovan's symphonies. The Eroica is my favourite!

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #40,089 of 87,555
And what's your flavour for music?
When I listen to IEMs it means I am usually on the move, so usually uptempo pop/rock, indie rock, classic rock, EDM, reggaeton and the like (such as when I‘m on the hiking trail with my BTR7). I must say that the DMPZ1 has allowed me to use my IEMs more because, for the first time, I feel I am not sacrificing sound quality as the DMPZ1 allows my IEMs to reach greater heights by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #40,090 of 87,555
@MusicTeck Thank you again Andrew, I am on the waiting list to receive my RS8/CR08.
My experience with Andrew and the RS6 was so positive and @gLer review basically convinced
me that I needed to buy the RS8.

1668702402795.png

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #40,091 of 87,555
When I listen to IEMs it means I am usually on the move, so usually uptempo pop/rock, indie rock, classic rock, EDM, reggaeton and the like (such as when I‘m on the hiking trail with my BTR7). I must say that the DMPZ1 has allowed me to use my IEMs more because, for the first time, I feel I am not sacrificing sound quality as the DMPZ1 allows my IEMs to reach greater heights by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Cool, that's great to hear, probably a very similar library then!

Totally get that, had an hour this afternoon with DMP and M2, DMP is quite spectacular with Jewel, feels like you're in a hall rather than a club if you get my drift. Big smiles. :wink:

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #40,092 of 87,555
@drftr Got the First Times and put it on my Fourte. I have had the 1960 2w on it for a couple years and loved the warm but energetic sound they provided. At first listen to the FT I thought what….. it sounded flat. After a few minutes of brain acclimatization I got it. Everything was smooth across the freq and bass and mid detail appeared. Love it! The fourte/blanc really is my sound. I’ll have to see how much use the Odin/EVO gets and maybe sell them for an Odyssey once the watercooler impressions start in December. Thanks your reply to @Lépine that set me on the path.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #40,093 of 87,555
@drftr Got the First Times and put it on my Fourte. I have had the 1960 2w on it for a couple years and loved the warm but energetic sound they provided. At first listen to the FT I thought what….. it sounded flat. After a few minutes of brain acclimatization I got it. Everything was smooth across the freq and bass and mid detail appeared. Love it! The fourte/blanc really is my sound. I’ll have to see how much use the Odin/EVO gets and maybe sell them for an Odyssey once the watercooler impressions start in December. Thanks your reply to @Lépine that set me on the path.
Most welcome... It sounds so rich that the first times you listen to it (pun intended) it may seem that you've lost detail, while in reality you gained colour, timbre, and a whole lot more. Truly enriching.

drftr

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #40,094 of 87,555
ody have one of the best bass that I've tried, very good all-rounder if you're into that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back