The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 10, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #39,676 of 84,837
My fav janes addiction vid

AARRGGHH!! That's why I never watched music videos. Now I have this imprinted in my mind as "the" Jane's Addiction image. I thought they were a bunch if really rough guys from the Nothing's Shocking and Ritual De Lo Habitual era. Damage done... For me visuals and music have zero to do with each other. Please don't kill me for it.

drftr

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #39,677 of 84,837
AARRGGHH!! That's why I never watched music videos. Now I have this imprinted in my mind as "the" Jane's Addiction image. I thought they were a bunch if really rough guys from the Nothing's Shocking and Ritual De Lo Habitual era. Damage done... For me visuals and music have zero to do with each other. Please don't kill me for it.

drftr
Just don’t watch and dua lipa could be a raunchy metal band,….)

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #39,678 of 84,837
I present my new DesTi, just finished, it has taken 3 months to build, I hope they will arrive soon.

1668099239866.png

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #39,681 of 84,837
Des Ti? They truly look stunning but Google tells me Nobody Home. Care to share?

drftr
The best way to contact them is via Facebook messenger, their English is no good.
My DesTi is 4 ba + 2 est, specially tuned for me.
I chose Titanium shells, wooden faceplates and even the cable of the internal wiring (Nordost Odin 2)

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #39,682 of 84,837
Maybe really good treble is the final frontier of IEMs. It certainly seems the hardest branch of the FR to master.
What I said long time ago :wink:
Cooler survey: What sort of product/design/configuration/feature are you hoping to see that hasn't come out yet?
  • IMHO, treble remains challenging with IEMs. Need somthing that balances note weight, shimmer, extension as called for by the music
To which you replied....
Interesting observation. Treble remains the one area of the FR I am least picky about-- as long as it's there to some extent and doesn't make my ears bleed I seem to be ok with it. Mids & bass on the other hand...
Times change :wink:🤣

Actually, I think we just need to get better at describing treble quality. It's not about being bright and strident. Good treble can express sharp attacks as well as sweet treble notes. Drum cymbals can crash or express a delicate zinging shimmer. Piano treble can have a sharp metallic zing from the strings or it could be a very sweet note. Not many, if any, IEM (or headphones for that matter) seem capable of reproducing real-life trebles.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #39,683 of 84,837
Times change :wink:🤣

Indeed they do man I've always thought of this hobby as a journey-- so long as one is able to stay true to their own heart and perceptions there's no telling where they'll wind up.

Actually, I think we just need to get better at describing treble quality. It's not about being bright and strident. Good treble can express sharp attacks as well as sweet treble notes. Drum cymbals can crash or express a delicate zinging shimmer. Piano treble can have a sharp metallic zing from the strings or it could be a very sweet note. Not many, if any, IEM (or headphones for that matter) seem capable of reproducing real-life trebles.

The biggest revelation for me is how good quality treble tuning can negate forward upper mids. Gaea is a really treble forward and rich IEM...but I never find it fatiguing, peaky, pierce or anything like that.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #39,684 of 84,837
Had a chance this Monday here in Denver to see Smashing Pumpkins with Jane’s Addiction. What a great show! Audience was a bit older (think mostly people who appreciated these groups in their prime, so Gen Xers), but a nice segment of young peeps too. Both acts really did a nice job of nurturing the nostalgia angle without being obnoxious with it, mixing in other stuff too. I’m really enjoying getting back out this year and listening to live music with strangers. I’m the type that’s a bit outgoing and easily chatty with strangers especially if I’m partaking of a bit of the sticky icky, so the woman below? I have no idea who she is, but we were best buds for a couple of hours, lol.

Speaking of which, my wife works in the medical field so she’s asked me to mask up when I go to these music events. Recently, I’ve gone to quite a few concerts; I’d say that maybe 5% of people were masked up at them. This show? I’m not joking, I think I may have been the ONLY person wearing a mask. Too funny.

Concert love continuing: going to see my first “official” country music show next week by checking out Carrie Underwood. That should genuinely be interesting for me, as that’s a genre I know very little about, and assume there won’t be many middle-aged African American men in the audience, hah!
F36C2516-5EB8-4541-BD53-0FA9D7AFE40E.jpeg
7BB58DFA-BC84-4D6F-A612-637C521CB5F7.jpeg816FAA1F-D97B-473D-8C9B-3017A715BB55.jpegE8209FA0-E809-4EFD-9D8B-0F816E30C125.jpeg
Your wife asked you to mask up while she did not? :)

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #39,685 of 84,837
Nov 10, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #39,686 of 84,837
It's not...if you read the full post.

"I have no idea who she is, but we were best buds for a couple of hours..."

:sunglasses:

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #39,687 of 84,837
Your wife asked you to mask up while she did not? :)
No, my wife is a doctor but she’s not into music/concerts like I am. These are solo excursions for me.

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #39,689 of 84,837
It's not...if you read the full post.

"I have no idea who she is, but we were best buds for a couple of hours..."

:sunglasses:
I really miss this aspect of attending live shows/concerts, meeting people with a shared enthusiasm for the bands/musicians I love. I've met some amazing people throughout the years. I miss my concert buddies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back