The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #36,152 of 87,094
Screenshot_20220923-223925_Gallery.jpg

Still on my Ragnar honeymoon. I am re-discovering my love for Jazz particularly with romantic vocals and Bossa Nova. i.e. Diana Panton, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Michael buble.

The Viking Ragnar presents music in a dignified and refined way similar to the Traillii. Both monitors are deliver music in a sweet, charming way. The Traillii tilts towards the musical while Ragnar goes for accuracy and elegance.

Some song impressions:

Natalie cole sounded graceful and present. Strings in the background delicately weaved in and out of the background in one plane. Nothing seemed out of place. When the saxophone kicks in at 2:00 just muah 🤌

The way you look tonight - Frank Sinatra

This playback felt grande and immersive. Trumpets sound rich and vivid. At 1:43, I like how it sparks up with some punch when it needs to. This playback reminded me of Ragnars ink black background & ovular soundstage. Without closing my eyes, I can visualize the bass player on the left side and the snares sizzling in my top right side simultaneously.

The very thought of you - Emilie-Claire Barlow

This replay made me melt. During Emiles solo from 0:00 -> 0:30, I got pulllled in. Emilies voice sounded extra sultry with crystal clarity. Decays and reverb felt right. It's as a plastic film has been unwrapped from my ear. Ragnar does what Traillii does with vocals but with more clarity.

Ragnar sounds a very interesting set, I'm increasingly curious.

I was just thinking while walking my dog this morning how different sets lead me towards different parts of my library - various strengths or weaknesses better suiting different genres, and actually leading me on a path of discovery to seek out more music to enjoy on each set. It's another reason why I love having a collection and couldn't possibly have just one - there's a symbiotic relationship where both the music and earphones send me on different voyages of discovery!

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #36,153 of 87,094
Ragnar sounds a very interesting set, I'm increasingly curious.

I was just thinking while walking my dog this morning how different sets lead me towards different parts of my library - various strengths or weaknesses better suiting different genres, and actually leading me on a path of discovery to seek out more music to enjoy on each set. It's another reason why I love having a collection and couldn't possibly have just one - there's a symbiotic relationship where both the music and earphones send me on different voyages of discovery!
Are you still on the Canary Islands? Just came across a maximum alert due to a cyclone coming up. Better use full cans to protect your sensitive ears!

drftr

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #36,154 of 87,094
What a beautiful track <3

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #36,155 of 87,094
And Xe6 is that popular? Unless you’re listening to heavy metal or guitar music I couldn’t do the XE6 as a regular or one and only without some adjustments.
Totally agree, they are not universal and not for heavy music, I think.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #36,156 of 87,094

Still on my Ragnar honeymoon. I am re-discovering my love for Jazz particularly with romantic vocals and Bossa Nova. i.e. Diana Panton, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Michael buble.

The Viking Ragnar presents music in a dignified and refined way similar to the Traillii. Both monitors are deliver music in a sweet, charming way. The Traillii tilts towards the musical while Ragnar goes for accuracy and elegance.

Some song impressions:

Unforgettable - Natalie Cole

Natalie cole sounded graceful and present. Strings in the background delicately weaved in and out of the background in one plane. Nothing seemed out of place. When the saxophone kicked in at 2:00 just muah 🤌

This playback felt grande and immersive. Trumpets sounded rich and vivid. At 1:43, I like how it sparks up with some punch when it needed to. This song reminded me of Ragnars ink black background & ovular soundstage. Without closing my eyes, I could visualize the bass player on the left side and the snares sizzling in my top right side simultaneously.

This replay made me melt. During Emiles solo from 0:00 -> 0:30, I got pulllled in. Emilies voice sounded sultry with pristine transparency. There is a way vocals decay. It's as if a plastic film has been unwrapped from my ear. The Ragnar does what Traillii does with vocals but with more clarity.

Super interesting, Ragnar is getting good reviews. I am excited that I will get to try Trailli soon thanks to a friend hehe.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #36,157 of 87,094
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #36,159 of 87,094
From the top 10 I only heard Traillii, Jewel, Annihilator, and UmFusang (which should sound the same as Fabled Sound, just like Viking and Viking Ragnar should sound the same => a challenge for a list like this).

As you know most here like a very different tuning than I do but I'm still interested to see what others like and why as it makes me part of their journey. Besides that a life without lists is impossible for me.

Wished I could share the incredible mix of Malay, Chinese, and Indian streetfood here in George Town, Penang, with you guys! 😋

drftr
Ah! Penang street food is the bees nees! The Penang Char Kway Teow with ducks egg is to die for!

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #36,160 of 87,094
I think I was just very unlucky with the attitude of the shop where I listened to them as they didn't leave me any wiggle room to adjust the mids to treble area to my liking using different cables. Luckily I will get a better chance when meeting my favourite dealer Mr. @yaps66 in Vietnam. Next I need to read up on tricks to make it hop over to my bird cage.

drftr
Zep ... cough ... ell ... cough ... in ... cough ... co ... choke!

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #36,161 of 87,094
Too sweet my friend! Is there a version that you like that's good without the syrup and stuff?

drftr
Chendol without syrup and stuff is like the Bird without First Times Shielding!

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #36,162 of 87,094

Some song impressions:

Unforgettable - Natalie Cole

Natalie cole sounded graceful and present. Strings in the background delicately weaved in and out of the background in one plane. Nothing seemed out of place. When the saxophone kicked in at 2:00 just muah 🤌

This playback felt grande and immersive. Trumpets sounded rich and vivid. At 1:43, I like how it sparks up with some punch when it needed to. This song reminded me of Ragnars ink black background & ovular soundstage. Without closing my eyes, I could visualize the bass player on the left side and the snares sizzling in my top right side simultaneously.

This replay made me melt. During Emiles solo from 0:00 -> 0:30, I got pulllled in. Emilies voice sounded sultry with pristine transparency. There is a way vocals decay. It's as if a plastic film has been unwrapped from my ear. The Ragnar does what Traillii does with vocals but with more clarity.

Sounds to me like Ragnar will be replacing Traillii or are they distinct enough to be complimentary?

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #36,163 of 87,094
So that's the TriCopper X6 then, right? Been discussing the X8 equivalent with @DaveStarWalker in the past few days. Extremely tempting. But just seeing that Taiwan is going to be open for tourism from mid October HanSound all of a sudden is back on the table as well. Maybe I should buy more IEMs so that I can buy more cables! 🤔

drftr
Standard Copper. Fully sufficient for my needs.

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #36,164 of 87,094
Chendol without syrup and stuff is like the Bird without First Times Shielding!
But that's exactly what I wanted! The Bird without the cable!
Headshake.gif

drftr

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #36,165 of 87,094
Don’t the Viking and Ragnar sound the same? I thought I read that the internals are exactly the same and Noble made the exterior aluminum on the Ragnar to reduce the price? Is this correct?

Hi @Frankie D ,
from my memory I have read here on watercooler thread, someone mentioning, that although the internals are exactly the same, the sound of Viking Ragnar is different from Viking due to his impressions. And this person attributes the differences to the different materials (aluminum in Ragnar). The differences were in favor of the Ragnar as he elaborated.
Maybe I can find this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back