The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #34,051 of 87,431
No idea how they are made, but they sound different to my ears.
+1 on them sounding different. I owned them both at the same time, and while I didn't have the shielding FT, Orpheus and FT definitely sound different. Orphy has more weight, more midbass, and more forward mids. It also has a more control, more physicality and a rolled off analog top end. FT is more linear, and more sparkle up top. It has less weight, and less grunt and physicality, but yes, the tuning is similar with very specific and notable differences to my ears.

I went back and forth between them many, many times, and there is just something about the Orpheus. Yes, it can be overbearing and make all IEMs sound the same, I agree with that on principle. It may not be a good match with everything, absolutely. But the amount of mojo magic honey sauce is to my ears just not comparable. Especially the midrange is outrageously good, so thunderous where FT is simply clean and open.

If you added Shielding to either of them you get a much darker background which in turn brings out the micro details. It also adds some "magic" that I find hard to describe. So apples to apples I think Orphy does indeed sound notably different, and more magical to my ears. But Shielding on FT will increase its magicness no doubt.

As always, YMMV and not everyone is a fan of the Orpheus. :)

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #34,052 of 87,431
I have been using the new Noble Kublai Khan, which I will call KK hereafter, for a period of time. Overall I enjoy it very much, so coming to here and share some quick impressions.

Fit and size.

The KK is on the larger side for an iem, certainly larger than Traillii or MEST MKii. With this being said, it actually fits me very well. The shell is well made and can comfortably sit on my ears, and I have no problem to get a proper and firm insertion using either the stock tips or CP155.

Sound analysis

The good:
  • I think this is a very well tuned iem. Very balanced overall, quite coherent, and extended on both ends. My only previous experience with Noble was the Sultan. While I enjoy its midrange texture, I found the lack of extension on the top end to sound “boring”. The KK has none of such issue, making it a great everyday iem. I have been using it for more than 2 months and I still enjoy picking it up now.
  • The soundstage and separation is quite impressive: lots of nuanced details. It is on part with or slightly better than many other iems in thr 2K usd range. I think the midrange texture is similar to what Sultan used to deliver, and the extra details could come from the added BCD driver, which I will talk about below.
  • KK’s BCD driver covers the bottom end of the sound, and this is how I hear it too, mainly in the bass region. This is very different from the BCD experience I get from UM’s Indigo or FS, both of which are full range BCD. I think KK’s bass-focused BCD tends to make the overall listening experience more fun, and will suit genres like heavy metal and rock quite well.
Areas of improvement:
  • The sound to me is somewhat diffused with the stock tips or the Fidelity U tip. I ultimately use the CP155 to make the sound much more “focused”, especially for the vocal. I thank @Damz87 for his recommendation on this.
  • The sound can be a bit “rough” from time to time. I do not always get this feeling. However, I can also say that the sound, while being very coherent overall, is not the smoothest I have had. I am probably spoiled by all the other flagships (FS, Traillii, Jewel, Ace…) out there. I don’t think this is an issue that bothers me, otherwise I would not be still using it a lot now, but I think this is something to bring up.
0D3F3F52-0B0A-4312-9A11-66DE22A5A616.jpeg
Great impressions mate, I personally loved both the KK and Sultan at a recent audio event in my country. My personal preferences go with the Sultan, I find KK to have slightly forward upper mids for my liking(subjective).

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #34,053 of 87,431
A rainy Saturday here in Ireland started with meeting up with @armstrj2 where I finally got to hear the EE Evo - a very impressive set and one I might consider in the future. I definitely want a BCD in the collection, but need to spend a bit more time on my selection... rhyming unintended :) Evo would certainly add something unique to my collection anyway.

My review up for the wonderful Lotoo Paw 6000 also - HERE!

Evo with FT hooked up to LPGT...

20220903_110341.jpg

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #34,054 of 87,431
I have been using the new Noble Kublai Khan, which I will call KK hereafter, for a period of time. Overall I enjoy it very much, so coming to here and share some quick impressions.

Fit and size.

The KK is on the larger side for an iem, certainly larger than Traillii or MEST MKii. With this being said, it actually fits me very well. The shell is well made and can comfortably sit on my ears, and I have no problem to get a proper and firm insertion using either the stock tips or CP155.

Sound analysis

The good:
  • I think this is a very well tuned iem. Very balanced overall, quite coherent, and extended on both ends. My only previous experience with Noble was the Sultan. While I enjoy its midrange texture, I found the lack of extension on the top end to sound “boring”. The KK has none of such issue, making it a great everyday iem. I have been using it for more than 2 months and I still enjoy picking it up now.
  • The soundstage and separation is quite impressive: lots of nuanced details. It is on part with or slightly better than many other iems in thr 2K usd range. I think the midrange texture is similar to what Sultan used to deliver, and the extra details could come from the added BCD driver, which I will talk about below.
  • KK’s BCD driver covers the bottom end of the sound, and this is how I hear it too, mainly in the bass region. This is very different from the BCD experience I get from UM’s Indigo or FS, both of which are full range BCD. I think KK’s bass-focused BCD tends to make the overall listening experience more fun, and will suit genres like heavy metal and rock quite well.
Areas of improvement:
  • The sound to me is somewhat diffused with the stock tips or the Fidelity U tip. I ultimately use the CP155 to make the sound much more “focused”, especially for the vocal. I thank @Damz87 for his recommendation on this.
  • The sound can be a bit “rough” from time to time. I do not always get this feeling. However, I can also say that the sound, while being very coherent overall, is not the smoothest I have had. I am probably spoiled by all the other flagships (FS, Traillii, Jewel, Ace…) out there. I don’t think this is an issue that bothers me, otherwise I would not be still using it a lot now, but I think this is something to bring up.
Do you feel Noble's pricing is in the ballpark of their performance finally? That was always my biggest gripe with the company. So overpriced for what you get. Facade Hi-fi.

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #34,055 of 87,431
Walk along the Erie Canal with my Son and Wife. Sporting XE6 P6P in top pocket Egberto Gismonti Circense playing, Brazilian Modern Classical,
a journey of a listen.

A8410FA8-E34D-41CA-A819-F9BF6FF558C8.jpeg

35D34AFD-6EB5-489E-B509-8650F3C25506.jpeg

AE17C881-0971-49AF-9FC3-12146C155E65.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #34,057 of 87,431
In Utica NY, couple coffee lovers here on the Cooler, my son started college here.
This is his favorite fresh roast coffee stop.

53E74C17-B698-48A8-91A2-7A5429C2923E.jpeg

I live in Western NY, grew up Rochester. How’s Utica looking these days? A dystopian movie I saw recently filmed in Utica, I believe, which is consistent with my admittedly outdated impressions of it.

Fit and size.

Sound analysis

The good:
Areas of improvement:

I especially like that you referred to deficiencies as “areas for improvement” rather than merely ‘the bad’.

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #34,059 of 87,431
I live in Western NY, grew up Rochester. How’s Utica looking these days? A dystopian movie I saw recently filmed in Utica, I believe, which is consistent with my admittedly outdated impressions of it.
Utica has some rough depressed areas.
Boarded up run down buildings and houses in need of repair. Art Museum here that has a modern building and a tunnel to a historic mansion.

3BD868FD-79FE-48B4-A582-3D2C2040C5C8.jpeg

4A72BA6C-7988-4D79-BAD9-FECADC750CBC.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #34,060 of 87,431
Do you feel Noble's pricing is in the ballpark of their performance finally? That was always my biggest gripe with the company. So overpriced for what you get. Facade Hi-fi.
I think it is in the 1.5-2K range. I won’t buy it for msrp…

Edit: If I were a bass head, then yeah I think it is around 2K for the value.

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #34,061 of 87,431
Sep 3, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #34,062 of 87,431
+1 on them sounding different. I owned them both at the same time, and while I didn't have the shielding FT, Orpheus and FT definitely sound different. Orphy has more weight, more midbass, and more forward mids. It also has a more control, more physicality and a rolled off analog top end. FT is more linear, and more sparkle up top. It has less weight, and less grunt and physicality, but yes, the tuning is similar with very specific and notable differences to my ears.

I went back and forth between them many, many times, and there is just something about the Orpheus. Yes, it can be overbearing and make all IEMs sound the same, I agree with that on principle. It may not be a good match with everything, absolutely. But the amount of mojo magic honey sauce is to my ears just not comparable. Especially the midrange is outrageously good, so thunderous where FT is simply clean and open.

If you added Shielding to either of them you get a much darker background which in turn brings out the micro details. It also adds some "magic" that I find hard to describe. So apples to apples I think Orphy does indeed sound notably different, and more magical to my ears. But Shielding on FT will increase its magicness no doubt.

As always, YMMV and not everyone is a fan of the Orpheus. :)
Yes, I believe to get the magic from the Orpheus you need a very detailed IEM. A soft sounding, less detailed IEM will typically not work best with it. With VX, Traillii and even Jewel it will be a perfect match.

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #34,064 of 87,431
I'm maybe an oddball with Orph, as much as I value it, I'm quite eager to hear FT. I'm not a treble head by any means but it's my only criticism of Orph, I'd like a little more up top.

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #34,065 of 87,431
I'm maybe an oddball with Orph, as much as I value it, I'm quite eager to hear FT. I'm not a treble head by any means but it's my only criticism of Orph, I'd like a little more up top.
You may very well like the FT, more I'm not sure. For a great copper sound with a bit more high end you should check out the Ode To Laura, I was part of the demo review on that. It doesn't have the Orphy magic, but it has all the classic copper tones with an emphasis on the high end, with great fast punchy bass. Very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back