The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #33,376 of 86,983
DHL's Teleporters are working again. Venom has landed and is out for delivery!

Sadly I'm in office today.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #33,377 of 86,983
Prepping for a major THL review, so thought I'd share some of the audio pr0n with my fellow Coolers 😁

Supermoon_08.jpg
Supermoon_07.jpg
Supermoon_13.jpg
Supermoon_15.jpg

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #33,378 of 86,983
V44 is madder than mad :). It reminds me of MAD24, which received a rave review by the guy who always wears sunglasses (ConvinceMEaudio?).

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #33,379 of 86,983
A few weeks ago I posted the question above. Later, I spoke with Andrew/Musicteck who is often approached by different brands for consideration of new products, and Andrew asked me if I'm interested to take a listen. Now, this V44 made its way to me for a week to do a quick listening and to provide the feedback. I was skeptical, yet curious because of 22-driver per side design. I listen/evaluate a lot of new stuff, only write about fraction of it, and actually thought this one deserves a little mini-review. Not even sure if Andrew/MT will consider carrying it, but I wanted to share my impressions anyway. So, here it goes!

Victory Melody VM-V44

vm-v44-01.jpg

Just when you thought drivers war was over years ago, here comes a new flagship IEM from an unknown company, Victory Melody, featuring a whooping 22 drivers per side. The model’s name is VM-V44 which refers to a total of 44 drivers used between both shells. Each shell has 8 Sonion bass BAs, 6 Sonion mids BAs, 4 Sonion highs BAs, and 4 Sonion EST drivers, and 2 switches. That’s a lot of drivers, but, surprisingly, they sound very coherent and continue to maintain their coherency even once you start toggling switches.

vm-v44-03.jpg vm-v44-04.jpgvm-v44-05.jpg vm-v44-06.jpgvm-v44-07.jpg

Obviously, to fit all these 22 Sonion drivers, voltage converter for ESTs, and a double switch along with crossover components, you need a lot of room. As a result, shells are big and will stick out of your ears, but they are surprisingly lightweight and fit comfortably. Just have to be sure a proper pair of eartips is selected for a secure fit. Also, I assume they didn’t have a spare room to put 2pin socket inside the shell, so they used protruded socket which is outside the shell, but unlike some other IEMs with similar external sockets, its polarity is not reversed and you can use any other regular 2pin 0.78mm cable which I verified. Stock cable is either silver or silver plated, and has connector housing that wraps around the protruded socket.

vm-v44-02.jpg

The tuning is actually very good, surprisingly good, and the switches do an excellent job with different levels of bass boost. By looking at my measurements with 4 different switch positions, you can see how well bass and lower mids scale up while upper mids/treble remain the same. Here, the credit probably goes to a well-executed crossover design which only boosts specific region of frequency response while keeping upper mids and treble unchanged, clear and detailed, without being pushed back as you add more bass.

vm-v44-09.jpg

Sound Analysis.

The overall sound is very natural and detailed. Coherency of tuning is on the level of listening to a pair of full-size headphones. The soundstage is OK, definitely above the average but not on holographic level of expansion, and you do feel like sitting in the front row, closer to the performer. Despite using BA lows, bass sounds very analog, full bodied, typical of DD weight/impact. It scales up well, going from a tastefully boosted impact to a precise and noticeably elevated EQ shelving filter boost in both sub-bass rumble and mid-bass punch.

As bass goes up, more body is added to lower mids, but they don’t become muddy or thick. Mids remain very detailed and still quite natural with a forward presentation thanks to a pinna gain boost around 2k-3k. Upper mids/lower treble also have a precise tuning to avoid common sibilance peaks, and sound very natural, detailed, clear, not too organic or analytical. Treble has its moderate sparkle and natural clarity. Not a very airy extension, just enough to give the sound a perfect upper frequencies definition without being rolled off.

I think for some it could beg the question, what other TOTL iems is the tuning closer to? To my ears, it is closer to Traillii due to their more relaxed analog bass, smoother laidback mids, and natural treble. Traillii does have a bigger, more expanded soundstage and more sparkle/air in treble, but V44 bass adjustment will scratch an itch if you are craving more bass with a deeper impact. Also, V44 shell is bigger, but it still fits comfortably in concha area of my ears.

vm-v44-08.jpg

To me, Victory Melody is an unknown new brand, but the tuning is quite mature and well done considering 22 drivers per side. What impressed me the most is the coherency of tuning with all the drivers working in unison. Then, also a rather well executed crossover design with 2 switches giving you 4 levels of precise bass adjustment which is not a gimmick. And, along with a bass adjustment, I was impressed how upper mids and treble remained forward, still quite detailed and natural, and not overpowered by the bass boost.

Funny how their banner says “More is Better”. While it’s not always true, especially relative to IEM design and driver count, but in this case it actually works :)

vm-v44-00.jpg
Well, in that case, V44 provides you a switch to choose less, :)

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #33,380 of 86,983
Prepping for a major THL review, so thought I'd share some of the audio pr0n with my fellow Coolers 😁

Supermoon_08.jpgSupermoon_07.jpgSupermoon_13.jpgSupermoon_15.jpg
Let's see...that makes 3 Cooler's who are showcasing Supermoon. Out of curiosity, how well does the 1Z push the Supermoon? I recall Rockwell saying higher power players like Shanling M9 are needed to get the most out of it.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #33,381 of 86,983

Supermoon_08.jpgSupermoon_07.jpgSupermoon_13.jpgSupermoon_15.jpg
You made me want one.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #33,382 of 86,983
Supermoon scales very well with more power. They're the most technically proficient iem I've heard (with the cable upgrade) and has some insane depth to it which makes it so enjoyable.

Honestly I would've already bought one if it wasn't for the elevated treble that I found too fatiguing, but I know others haven't had the same problem. Timbre can also be an issue, but you'll have to hear it yourself to see your tolerance level 😂

Hugehuge recommendation!

@CrocodileDundee

You should definitely send a email out to campfire audio for a demo. Doesn't take much time and effort but is absolutely worth the experience :)

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #33,383 of 86,983
Here are my current top 12 IEMs and Headphones as of 8/25/22. This list represents the best of the headphones and IEMs that I either personally own, have owned or would like to own. There are many worthy options not included because for one reason or another, I ruled out owning them. For instance, I really like the Noble Kublai Khan. If I were attempting to create a top 12 of all IEMs, it would probably make that list. But, since it overlaps with other IEMs I own, I do not intend to buy it and therefore it is not included.

There are many changes since 5/28/22. Susvara is now my favorite headphone once again. I have learned that great mids create the most emotional engagement for me with music. Since Susvara has the best mids to my ear, it is now number 1 in my collection. Same is true with the Red Halo FE. It has the best mids and is therefore my favorite IEM. The 64 Audio U12t also makes it debut. It took me 3 different auditions to finally decide to buy this IEM. Now that I have taken it through my library, I absolutely love it so much that it cracks the top 5.

Cable pairings really turned out to make a difference in how I perceive the quality of IEMs and Headphones. The Traillii improved to number 3 due to the First Times Shielding cable that I paired with it. Utopia moved up due to the Danacable Lazuli Reference cable I got for it.

In addition, I have started down the path of Electrostatic headphones, therefore two STAX headphones have showed up on the leaderboard of headphones. In a recent demo session, I really liked the LCD-4z and the Solitaire P. These headphones may make their way to the top 12. I need more time with them to determine their place on the list.

My taste is changing much more frequently than I ever expected and the Industry is producing new options every quarter. So, I expect this list to change often. I will update it regularly as it changes over time.

My current top 12 IEMs:
1. Unique Melody Red Halo FE
2. Elysian Annihilator
3. Oriolus Traillii
4. Aroma Jewel
5. 64 Audio U12t
6. Vision Ears EXT
7. Empire Ears Legend EVO
8. FIR Audio XE6
9. Empire Ears Odin
10. Unique Melody MEST Indigo
11. Sony IER-Z1R
12. Empire Ears Legend X (custom)

My current top 12 headphones:
1. Hifiman Susvara
2. Abyss 1266 Phi TC
3. STAX SR-X9000 (ordered)
4. Focal Utopia
5. STAX SR-007 mki
6. ZMF Atrium Koa
7. Hifiman HE1000SE (with EQ)
8. ZMF Verite Closed Koa
9. Hifiman HE1000v2
10 Sennheiser HD800S
11. Hifiman Ayra v2
12. Focal Clear OG

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #33,384 of 86,983
Supermoon scales very well with more power. They're the most technically proficient iem I've heard (with the cable upgrade) and has some insane depth to it which makes it so enjoyable.

Honestly I would've already bought one if it wasn't for the elevated treble that I found too fatiguing, but I know others haven't had the same problem. Timbre can also be an issue, but you'll have to hear it yourself to see your tolerance level 😂

Hugehuge recommendation!

@CrocodileDundee

You should definitely send a email out to campfire audio for a demo. Doesn't take much time and effort but is absolutely worth the experience :)

I think your high level impressions are identical to my first listen to the Supermoon. I am going to listen to it again in CanJam Socal to see if I hear it differently.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #33,385 of 86,983
Let's see...that makes 3 Cooler's who are showcasing Supermoon. Out of curiosity, how well does the 1Z push the Supermoon? I recall Rockwell saying higher power players like Shanling M9 are needed to get the most out of it.

Make it 4... And yeah, these sound really good.

1661446986279.png

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #33,386 of 86,983
recall Rockwell saying higher power players like Shanling M9 are needed to get the most out of it.

That wasn’t me I don’t think— most of my listening is done on the SR25ii which is by no means a powerful player and is more than adequate…in fact it’s great. I’m sure the 1z will be epic with it.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #33,387 of 86,983
Here are my current top 12 IEMs and Headphones as of 8/25/22. This list represents the best of the headphones and IEMs that I either personally own, have owned or would like to own. There are many worthy options not included because for one reason or another, I ruled out owning them. For instance, I really like the Noble Kublai Khan. If I were attempting to create a top 12 of all IEMs, it would probably make that list. But, since it overlaps with other IEMs I own, I do not intend to buy it and therefore it is not included.

There are many changes since 5/28/22. Susvara is now my favorite headphone once again. I have learned that great mids create the most emotional engagement for me with music. Since Susvara has the best mids to my ear, it is now number 1 in my collection. Same is true with the Red Halo FE. It has the best mids and is therefore my favorite IEM. The 64 Audio U12t also makes it debut. It took me 3 different auditions to finally decide to buy this IEM. Now that I have taken it through my library, I absolutely love it so much that it cracks the top 5.

Cable pairings really turned out to make a difference in how I perceive the quality of IEMs and Headphones. The Traillii improved to number 3 due to the First Times Shielding cable that I paired with it. Utopia moved up due to the Danacable Lazuli Reference cable I got for it.

In addition, I have started down the path of Electrostatic headphones, therefore two STAX headphones have showed up on the leaderboard of headphones. In a recent demo session, I really liked the LCD-4z and the Solitaire P. These headphones may make their way to the top 12. I need more time with them to determine their place on the list.

My taste is changing much more frequently than I ever expected. So, I expect this list to change often. I will update it regularly as it changes over time.

My current top 12 IEMs:
2. Elysian Annihilator
3. Oriolus Traillii
4. Aroma Jewel
5. 64 Audio U12t
6. Vision Ears EXT
8. FIR Audio XE6
9. Empire Ears Odin
11. Sony IER-Z1R

1. Hifiman Susvara
2. Abyss 1266 Phi TC
4. Focal Utopia
5. STAX SR-007 mki
6. ZMF Atrium Koa
8. ZMF Verite Closed Koa
9. Hifiman HE1000v2
10 Sennheiser HD800S
11. Hifiman Ayra v2
12. Focal Clear OG
Please can you share the EQ for the HE1000SE? 🤔

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #33,388 of 86,983

There are many changes since 5/28/22. Susvara is now my favorite headphone once again. I have learned that great mids create the most emotional engagement for me with music. Since Susvara has the best mids to my ear, it is now number 1 in my collection. Same is true with the Red Halo FE. It has the best mids and is therefore my favorite IEM.

My taste is changing much more frequently than I ever expected. So, I expect this list to change often. I will update it regularly as it changes over time.

My current top 12 IEMs:
2. Elysian Annihilator
3. Oriolus Traillii
4. Aroma Jewel
5. 64 Audio U12t
6. Vision Ears EXT
8. FIR Audio XE6
9. Empire Ears Odin
11. Sony IER-Z1R

1. Hifiman Susvara
2. Abyss 1266 Phi TC
4. Focal Utopia
5. STAX SR-007 mki
6. ZMF Atrium Koa
8. ZMF Verite Closed Koa
9. Hifiman HE1000v2
10 Sennheiser HD800S
11. Hifiman Ayra v2
12. Focal Clear OG
I wonder is the X that different vs annihilator?

I’m really looking forward to trying out the Solitare T at Canjam. I’m not a headphone guy at all but Bluetooth, and wired scalability in one package sounds like too good of an opportunity to not listen to it.

And I’ll give the Supermoon a spin. I’m not particularly inclined to it just because I already have the LCD i4 and that fits well with me, but if 1/2 the cooler is saying good things about it, then it’s worth a demo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back