The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #31,711 of 84,836
Cooler survey: What is your 12? Full size, IEMs and buds welcome...but you get only 12 total collectively.
I LOVE this group/thread!

My first thought upon reading the question was “What!?! Twelve?!? Geez, how many ears do you have, and when did being a Saudi Prince become a required job to get into HeadFi?” The signature list for many of us here is beautiful, and insane at the same time, easily exceeding the GDP of some some smaller 3rd world countries!

Joking in good faith, of course. After getting my giggles out, I realized that the more I think about what I’d list out for both IEMs and headphones, I wonder why you’re limiting me to SO FEW choices with such an abundance of great stuff that’s truly desirable out there, lol.

Ultimately, and for myself, I love the diversity of what folks are listing out (believe me, I’m taking notes), but I’m still too young at the game to have any type of definitive list (yet) to properly answer the question, but the query did make me appreciate how much the hobby, especially in the IEM space, has progressed from even a few years ago. Good times to be into HeadFi, indeed.

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #31,712 of 84,836
My Clear still looks the same as when I bought it probably 8 years ago. Than again not much use.
Next to my reading chair, and I have been traveling and working in the studio a lot.

You can definitely keep them looking clean. Living in a warm climate with my oily-ish hair, I'd be wrapping up the headband with one of those e-Bay wool covers and judiciously wiping down the pads after each use. Put it this way, Clear is one of those headphones I wouldn't buy used. For my use case leather is a must have, unless the pads and headband are easily (and inexpensively) replaceable (like with the HD800). I'm still keen to hear he Clear one day, it's one of those that were on my list and passed me by.

Edit: one small correction to your post, Clear was launched in October 2017, so just under five years ago.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #31,713 of 84,836
Indeed! She filled my dreams more then once, growing up!
Same. As a kid, fell in love with Grease and she was a big reason I wore out our VHS copy with repeat viewings. Music was great too. Loved how she was just as desirable as cute, sweet Sandy as she was as leather rocker chick Sandy.

Beyond what she ignited in my nether regions, she just seemed to be a genuinely good person, had a warmth of personality that seemed to come out in her best rolls. She’ll be missed!

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #31,714 of 84,836
I can't really set a real ranking list, but more some selected items that I really love to use in certain conditions.

#1 Headphone DCA Stealth is maybe my absolute sound quality reference and it's luckily a closed headphone so can be used at a realistic volume level even when not alone (office, trains)

#2 Vision Ears EXT as "THE" very solid every day Hybrid IEM (office, Trains, Planes, Street) though I still prefer a bit more the IER-Z1R Sound Quality but it is not enough comfortable to be worth to mention it in the list..

#3 HEDDphone One .. just for the amazing kicks it can offer (unfortunately open back) .. probably not so good for the ears, but so addictive at a realistic volume level (needs 2x6W headphone amp or even a powerful speaker amp).

#4 Sennheiser IE600/IE900 both are very good DD IEM and by far the most comfortable IEM that can be used in a bed for the night. (the Xelento is falling short Behind) I am missing an hybrid IEM in that size (almost flat in the ear lob)

#5 Grado GS3000e ... So light, airy SQ and offers a real wide open stage, that I enjoy to use this headphone while being able to stay in contact with people around me (home/family)..but, definitely, I am really missing low/ultra low frequencies (or it's clipping very hardly with PEQ) in maybe 5 to 10% of my music tracks.

I still own a half dozen of other Headphones or IEM (even Electrostatics IEM & Headphone) ... but none worth to mention in this "Selected" list, as I almost never use them any-more.

In short, I will even shorten this list in the future when I won't miss some features I have in this selected 5 Headphone/IEM,
So, for a while, I am looking hardly for :
=> a Grado GS3000e form factor with low and ultra low frequencies (under 100/150hz like a HEDDphone One) it can be a future larger DCA Stealth with open back ?
=> an Hybrid IER-Z1R with a IE600/IE900 size & form factor ... but, it seems nothing on the market can do this (they all are far too thick in the ears including the little VE EXT).
I love the angle you took in answering the question from a use case perspective. Your number one intrigues me, as I’m looking for a TOTL closed back that nails it on technicalities AND (I know, I know vague audiophile term coming) musicality. I was really excited about the DCA Stealth reading up on its design origins, etc. REALLY excited… then I heard it at a CanJam and was underwhelmed.

It was a brief listen, so I’m going to focus on getting some time with it at next month’s CanJam, but I don’t know. Part of me thinks I need to chill and wait for a few rumored TOTL closed backs that might be arriving in the next year or so, so we’ll see.

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #31,715 of 84,836
You can definitely keep them looking clean. Living in a warm climate with my oily-ish hair, I'd be wrapping up the headband with one of those e-Bay wool covers and judiciously wiping down the pads after each use. Put it this way, Clear is one of those headphones I wouldn't buy used. For my use case leather is a must have, unless the pads and headband are easily (and inexpensively) replaceable (like with the HD800). I'm still keen to hear he Clear one day, it's one of those that were on my list and passed me by.

Edit: one small correction to your post, Clear was launched in October 2017, so just under five years ago.
Could not quite remember the year, my Son and I both got headphones that year for Christmas he choose the HD800 ( not remembering if it was the s) and both of us passed on the Sony. That was what our choices were at the time at the dealer. I liked the warmth and comfort of the Focal, he liked the stage of the Senn.

Anyway in terms of bonding experiences with my son shame on me for not remembering the exact year.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #31,716 of 84,836
Thanks for the comments and recommendations on headphones, clearly opinions will differ - I noted what's important to me as a guide, I don't expect miracles for $2k! Food for thought and I'll continue to research.

In other news, Meze Advar tour unit landed just now - looking forward to trying it!

20220809_125513.jpg

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #31,717 of 84,836
Could not quite remember the year, my Son and I both got headphones that year for Christmas he choose the HD800 ( not remembering if it was the s) and both of us passed on the Sony. That was what our choices were at the time at the dealer. I liked the warmth and comfort of the Focal, he liked to stage of the Senn.

Anyway in terms of bonding experiences with my son shame on me for not remembering the exact year.
I think your shared experience is worth infinitely more than the nitpicking over headphone rankings. I mostly share a love for film and TV with my son, but whatever is shared, that bond is gold.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #31,718 of 84,836
Headphones:
- Abyss 1266 TC
- Susvara
- Solitaire P
- Meze Elite
- Verite Closed
- LCD-XC

Honorable mentions: LCD-4, D9200, Stellia, Radiance, HD800s

Want to try: DCA Stealth, Rognir, Atrium

IEMs (edited because I forgot Erlkonig, oops):
- Traillii
- EVO
- Thummim
- Indigo
- Fourte
- Erlkonig (LE)

Honorable mentions: Nio, LX, U12T, U18T, Trio

Want to try: Jewel

Above is my current collection, apart from the 'want to try', of course.

Regarding the easy-to-drive headphone for 2k, this is not so easy. The MDR-Z1R is a good choice, but indeed it has as many proponents as critics. I liked it but haven't missed it since I sold it. Regarding comfort, yes very light and comfortable, but it did get hot quite fast for me. D9200 is also a good choice, probably among the best value for money headphones I know, esp. when bought used for around 1k or a little less, but they are not the most comfortable for some (endowed with larger ears.). My recommendation would be to stretch the budget to 3k and find a used Meze Elite. Super comfortable, easy to drive, excellent sound. (Or maybe a Stellia. They are below 2k used, and they are definitely bassy. But looks and sound are not unanimously appreciated.)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #31,719 of 84,836
Have to agree with you there. Ultimately that is why I went with the Traillii as opposed to the Jewel or Annihilator given how much of a milestone the Traillii is. I will then wait to see what next to get if at all. I feel I am at a good place with Traillii, Xe6 and Indigo. Have to stop listening to the FOMO that keeps bugging me!
This is how I kinda see it too. I feel like 2023 could STILL be an interesting, milestone setting year in IEMs, despite all the great stuff that’s out there. I’m this close to pulling the trigger on the Jewel in CIEM form (I SO wish the Traillii was offered in that form factor), but I’m also thinking it’d be fine to wait for the “next milestone” whatever it may be. I know there’s a lot of solid optional and subjective flavors I could go for, but being patient and enjoying what I currently have as I wait for the next (subjective) milestone wouldn’t be a bad strategy too…

Decisions, decisions!

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #31,720 of 84,836
Cooler survey: What is your 12? Full size, IEMs and buds welcome...but you get only 12 total collectively.
In no particular order…

What I own:
A12t
LX-SE
IER Z1R
IE900
IE600

Wish list (from what I have demo’ed previously):
DC Ti
Susvara
1266 Phi TC
TH900 Pear White
PHoNIX HK Black Edition
Legend EVO
Atrium

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #31,721 of 84,836
I love the angle you took in answering the question from a use case perspective. Your number one intrigues me, as I’m looking for a TOTL closed back that nails it on technicalities AND (I know, I know vague audiophile term coming) musicality. I was really excited about the DCA Stealth reading up on its design origins, etc. REALLY excited… then I heard it at a CanJam and was underwhelmed.

It was a brief listen, so I’m going to focus on getting some time with it at next month’s CanJam, but I don’t know. Part of me thinks I need to chill and wait for a few rumored TOTL closed backs that might be arriving in the next year or so, so we’ll see.

I have no idea if all DCA Stealth have really same sound qualities..
But, I am thinking the DCA Stealth is known as a headphone that covers a 100% Harman Target frequency response which is considered to please more less 60% of the listeners... so probably, 40% of listeners shouldn't fully enjoy the Stealth (like you).
Maybe, your "Musicality" involved some characteristics that are not covered by the Harman Target and that's perfectly respectable, some other headphone makers are choosing different types of targets and they manage to please loads of listeners too, maybe not exactly same people as the Stealth does.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #31,722 of 84,836
Thumbs up for th900 mines fully level 3 moded by lawton

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #31,723 of 84,836
I bought every cable, every piece of gear I bought blind. Even my fully moded th900, that was a hold the noes and buy. The only time I tested anything, hugo 2 and susvara, I took a pass On both, lolo. Just lucky I guess, never sold a thing.
however why I hang here is for iem knowledge, that and the giggles
Blind buyer too. No way to audition in this IEM dessert. I just read reviews/impressions by Watercooler members I trust.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #31,725 of 84,836
Another fantastic album discovery this week that has been on a repeat. As the title suggests, the tracks were written for film and TV. The whole album is excellent but I'm really mesmerised by the following in particular, literally had hairs standing on first listen - a real emotional, cinematic piece that I can imagine as the backdrop to a climax in a Cohen Brothers or similar movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back