The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #31,591 of 87,548
Monarch MK2 Mayur.jpg

Got a chance to audition these again, and with all honesty, I still didn't like The Monarch MK2. IDK Monarch MK2 has got a following in my country, many friends appreciate the set nicely, and with all due respect I respect their opinion. But I have given the IEM a good two to three auditions(each about 1-2 hours) and I just couldn't connect with it.
First off the things that I like about the Monarch MK2:-
>Sub-bass, it's so clean and precise. Rumbles beautifully.
>Tonally it does many things nicely, feels natural and lively.
>Resolution, clarity.
>inoffensive treble.
>Soundstage is spacious, I mean really spacious. I can hear different instruments all placed around me.

Now on to the things that I don't like:-
>Mid-bass, okay I got good sub-bass but I want my mid-bass to be a little punchy.
>I find vocals to be on the leaner side. Mainly talking about female vocals here, Like Yao Si Ting, Gloria Gaynor, etc. I want that heaviness, that lushness in vocals that is missing here. TBH this is the sole deal breaker for me here. I have tried tip-rolling, and different sources, but nothing helped me.

Some pairs that I love(around this price point, below, and above too):-
>Senn IE600(Misses the stage of Monarch MK2).
>UM MEXT(Again I miss the stage of Monarch MK2, but its baassssssss is thrilling. I just love the boom boom here).
>Anole VX(Insane details, a little lean too but details make me crave for this).
>OG CA Solaris(a little sibilance is there but the stereo setup I prefer).
the list will be long but I guess these four are good to leave an impression hehe.

Again, no offenses meant for anyone, If you like these I appreciate that and respect your opinion, and if you don't I high-five you hehe. Let's end the short rant with another beautiful image.

monarch mk2 2.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #31,592 of 87,548
Single DDs will always have a place in my heart and I have quite a number in my collection. Currently on burn-in I have the Hifiman RE800, Penon Vortex and the Meze Advar. I have to say the Advar is turning out to be one of my favourites. Very similar to the Isabellae but with better clarity in the mids and treble. It is like a cross between the Zen Pro and the Isabellae.

There has also been plenty of love for the Vortex out on the Penon thread especially when modded. It is turning out to be quite the Penon fan favourite!
Already got me curious on the Advar.
I should put them on my "to try" list 😂

I went through a period last year where I demoed/owned a good number of single DDs-- Kato, Zen Pro, Isa, FD7, IE900, Honeydew. My favorite was the Zen Pro by some margin-- I owned it alongside the Kato, which is probably the most like it of all the ones I listed, only more accomplished technically. I never heard Dark Sky unfortunately. The one I'm most interested in hearing now is the Technics single DD that has captured the heart and mind of this thread lately. Honeydew deserves a shoutout as imho the best pure basshead IEM you can get for $200.
Oh God I've had the opportunity to try the honeydew but never bothered to try 🥲
My recommendation for basshead for sub $200 would be focus edm. Surprisingly good slam, although lacking some texture.

I really wanna go back and try the ie900 again though, as my initial impression was very mediocre and couldn't resonate with all the hype that it had received.

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #31,593 of 87,548
With a heavy heart I said farewell to my Aroma Audio Thunder today as it shipped off to it's new owner! While I enjoy having a collection, there are some scenarios where it doesn't make sense to hold on to a set... Thunder still the best all-rounder I've heard, but it's an IEM I'll only use at home, as such it'll draw swords with Jewel or Traillii for ear time.

I was close to pulling the trigger on Softears Turii Ti but I found a graph that made me run a mile, it does not appear to be a set that will appeal to me. I might still go with the OG however.

In spite of owning various hybrids, tribrids etc, I'm still most fond of single DDs and definitely curious to continue trying more - TZ700 is a great example of a worthwhile hunt, what other gems are waiting out there for me?! :)

Oh and on the topic of single DDs and the earlier discussion on owning multiple sets - it's a beautiful day here in Dublin, so I sat in the garden after work and chose the perfect set for relaxing - Moondrop Chaconne with the P6K.

20220808_175016.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #31,594 of 87,548
Going back a bit, but has anyone tried the Audio Technica CK2000TI? A $750 dual DD that was released in 2019. Same form factor as TZ700, and also MMCX detachable cables - this time 3.5mm and 4.4mm. It's available from Amazon Japan for around $450, and I'm seriously tempted to give it a shot... but hopefully someone will tell me its terrible :)

Not many reviews out there, but THIS from Major Hifi is pretty positive.

Screenshot_20220808-182526_Samsung Internet.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #31,595 of 87,548
Monarch MK2 Mayur.jpg
Got a chance to audition these again, and with all honesty, I still didn't like The Monarch MK2. IDK Monarch MK2 has got a following in my country, many friends appreciate the set nicely, and with all due respect I respect their opinion. But I have given the IEM a good two to three auditions(each about 1-2 hours) and I just couldn't connect with it.
First off the things that I like about the Monarch MK2:-
>Sub-bass, it's so clean and precise. Rumbles beautifully.
>Tonally it does many things nicely, feels natural and lively.
>Resolution, clarity.
>inoffensive treble.
>Soundstage is spacious, I mean really spacious. I can hear different instruments all placed around me.

Now on to the things that I don't like:-
>Mid-bass, okay I got good sub-bass but I want my mid-bass to be a little punchy.
>I find vocals to be on the leaner side. Mainly talking about female vocals here, Like Yao Si Ting, Gloria Gaynor, etc. I want that heaviness, that lushness in vocals that is missing here. TBH this is the sole deal breaker for me here. I have tried tip-rolling, and different sources, but nothing helped me.

Some pairs that I love(around this price point, below, and above too):-
>Senn IE600(Misses the stage of Monarch MK2).
>UM MEXT(Again I miss the stage of Monarch MK2, but its baassssssss is thrilling. I just love the boom boom here).
>Anole VX(Insane details, a little lean too but details make me crave for this).
>OG CA Solaris(a little sibilance is there but the stereo setup I prefer).
the list will be long but I guess these four are good to leave an impression hehe.

Again, no offenses meant for anyone, If you like these I appreciate that and respect your opinion, and if you don't I high-five you hehe. Let's end the short rant with another beautiful image.

monarch mk2 2.jpg
In all honesty, I haven't found many admirers of Monarch Mk2 here either 😉

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #31,596 of 87,548
In fact, I'm quite satisfied with the current lineup, but there will definitely be some excellent IEMs that I missed, such as the limited 750 pair from ALO Campfire Audio Solaris.

I just took a deep dive into your listed collection...wow. The completist in me wonders if you've heard the Annihilator, IER Z1R or any planar IEMs.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #31,599 of 87,548
I think we're blessed because this is our first time hearing it.

I think people who heard it when it first came out might be biased in considering it old tech. But sony was years ahead of their time with that one imho.

It impresses me more than a lot of the new stuff I'm hearing. YMMV

It would be phenomenal if it rises from the dead on headfi. Actually it never died for bassheads.
Compared to Focus EDM, or Legend X? (after the tap mod)

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #31,600 of 87,548
I hate to be ”that“ guy but perhaps someone here may genuinely capitalize on the moment.

Decided to part ways with my Red Halo FE, which truthfully is fantastic but I just haven’t done much audio listening this summer and blew a head gasket on my old car.. another passion project.

So if anyone wants a basically brand new condition UM Red Halo FE please feel free to reach out!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 8, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #31,601 of 87,548
I hate to be ”that“ guy but perhaps someone here may genuinely capitalize on the moment.

Decided to part ways with my Red Halo FE, which truthfully is fantastic but I just haven’t done much audio listening this summer and blew a head gasket on my old car.. another passion project.

So if anyone wants a basically brand new condition UM Red Halo FE please feel free to reach out!

This is literally my favorite IEM in the world. I was just cable rolling and A/B testing it with Jewel and Traillii again last night and I came to the same conclusion I always do. It is my favorite. And, it sounds best with the First Times Shielding cable that comes stock with the non-FE version.

This IEM has @AnalogandDigital written all over it because until he hears it, he won't know what he is missing and whether or not this could be one of his favorites. It's not for everyone, but it is definitely for me. Vocals are its forte. Anything with a voice.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #31,602 of 87,548
This is literally my favorite IEM in the world. I was just cable rolling and A/B testing it with Jewel and Traillii again last night and I came to the same conclusion I always do. It is my favorite. And, it sounds best with the First Times Shielding cable that comes stock with the non-FE version.

This IEM has @AnalogandDigital written all over it because until he hears it, he won't know what he is missing and whether or not this could be one of his favorites. It's not for everyone, but it is definitely for me. Vocals are its forte. Anything with a voice.
pretty sure I will love this since our taste in iems are very close. But I will try to save my wallet from this

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #31,603 of 87,548
Crazy Sunset ☺️

D8C87C0E-98CF-4BEC-B194-557C7EA9043D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back