The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #31,561 of 87,496
Music Appreciation Post:

Totally randomly youtube suggested me this track:

This is Taiwanese Folk Metal. Nini is a Taiwanese instrumentalist who has been playing several different Chinese Traditional Instruments for over 20 years. Immediately after listening to this track I knew I had to have all of jer collection. Headed over to Bandcamp, and surprise! Quite a lot of her tracks are free to download, while the 2 albums cost $1 each. There was an offer of $5.25 to get the complete collection so far, and even though quite a number of singles were free to download, it took me just about 10 minutes of comprehension to decide on getting the full discography. Her works are spectacular, versatile, and never fails to amaze me! Here are some of her tracks and the albums:

She's quite talented and I will make sure to follow her and support her on her musical journey.

I like Asian folk metal, though I’m more inclined to those with vocals (eg. Hanggai). Looking fwd to see what other folk metal you may come across :wink:

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #31,562 of 87,496

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #31,563 of 87,496
I like Asian folk metal, though I’m more inclined to those with vocals (eg. Hanggai). Looking fwd to see what other folk metal you may come across :wink:
Ooooh that's a nice recommendation! Any others?

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #31,564 of 87,496
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #31,565 of 87,496
Perfect analogy. This is especially true for DD IEMs and DD hybrids.
This is even more true for planar models.
For myself, I understood one thing about them - there are no easy-to-drive planars. They are all voracious.
Even if it's like the Supermoon, iems that sound good from the output of a laptop or my portable Hiby R3. Just give them more power to spare and it's a different sound. The membrane moves more precisely and more easily. Although the volume will be the same, the sound has more dynamic range and depth.
About the same applies to DD or some hybrids, I agree.

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #31,566 of 87,496
Nice…EX800ST gang unite!
Wow. I just replaced the disintegrated filter from my EX1000 and upgraded them with a 4.4mm cable... was thinking I would be quite happy with these in 2022 if I did not go and listen to other IEMs...

That said, AEX07 seems to help hold them in place securely in the ear.

How do you guys find time to enjoy all your IEMs?? I only have a handful and already can't juggle them without neglecting anyone...

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #31,567 of 87,496
How do you guys find time to enjoy all your IEMs?? I only have a handful and already can't juggle them without neglecting anyone...
I have one main IEM and don't listen to it every day. Mix that up with review listening from time to time, a set of wireless IEMs for casual listening, and full-size headphones for when the mood strikes, and I'm already neglecting my primary system for large chunks of the week. I guess some folks are happy to go without listening to their IEMs for days or weeks or even months, while others listen to music five or more hours a day and rotate the collection regularly. And some collect for the sake of collecting and trying out the latest, greatest and obscure. The hobby is stock full of different paths to follow.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #31,568 of 87,496
Oh no! This is a quality control issue for JH Audio to investigate and resolve asap. Would only say associating this with the connector type is premature ; we do not know the reason(s) for the apparent failure yet. We do not read about the IPX connector coming loose all the time for those brands using IPX (link to brands). Nor have we read about the Sharona review / Canjam show samples doing this. As this is JH's first monitor offering IPX it would be useful to report back with further information for the community 👍

The demo unit I used which I presume applied to the rest was 7-pin (so as to have the attenuator), so for all I know I could be the only person who's ordered it with the IPX to date. I filed a request through the site last night but I'm going to call in this morning when I get a moment.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #31,569 of 87,496
86BD3EA5E78DDE1A4917E174AEDD321E.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. My name is Anfernee, and I am an audiophile currently living in the US. Due to work reasons, I prefer portable gears, I can take a lot of IEMs with me on a trip, and I don't have to worry about them becoming a burden on me. Maybe someday, I'll consider taking my friend's advice and stepping into unfamiliar territory :).

I like copper cables from all over the world because I like a more natural sounding, the only affliction is that there will always be all kinds of difficulties in purchasing.

I haven't published any professional review articles, but I have constructed my own "top gear list" and called them "BIG 12". I generally maintain 12 pairs of headphones and cables as my starting lineup, and they change over time when better challengers emerge; those who are eliminated will be sold; that's my "law of the jungle" for them :p.

I like to pursue the ultimate sound experience, and this is not limited to the brand reputation of products or their history. You'll see that I might be bashing a brand the day before and then immediately rave about a new product as it comes out and experiences it. I love connecting with people; it keeps me motivated and passionate about the community :gs1000smile:.

Hey bud, nice to see you finally made it over to HF, and what a picture to "introduce" yourself! The only way to top it, or to complement it, is with another one featuring all your DAPs :D

Didn't realize you got Viking. What is your take on treble with these?

Btw, I know it's a leather tray in the picture above, but it kind of reminded me of

1659965607014.png

with everybody in this thread going

1659965651812.png

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #31,570 of 87,496
Some Sunday night Bandcamp shopping yesterday landed this gem - been in my wishlist a while. Female vocalist, with an excellent array of instruments - hard to pigeon hole the genre, but certainly leans trip hop, instrumental, experimental - anyway, its a fantastic album and she has a great voice.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #31,571 of 87,496
Sevdeliza has always done great stuff.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #31,573 of 87,496
I have one main IEM and don't listen to it every day. Mix that up with review listening from time to time, a set of wireless IEMs for casual listening, and full-size headphones for when the mood strikes, and I'm already neglecting my primary system for large chunks of the week. I guess some folks are happy to go without listening to their IEMs for days or weeks or even months, while others listen to music five or more hours a day and rotate the collection regularly. And some collect for the sake of collecting and trying out the latest, greatest and obscure. The hobby is stock full of different paths to follow.
Haha same here... realise that I've been neglecting my HA300ii too much because of the 400hrs I'm throwing into burning in the Walkman~

The MEST and IE900 have not gotten any ear time since the Sho came and took over ear duties haha

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #31,574 of 87,496
On the topic of multiple IEMs, I go through phases with some, and others rarely a day or so go by without a listen. Plus I prefer some for listening before sleep, others for walking, travel, more focused/critical listening sessions etc - signature, genre choice, comfort etc all play a part in which one I reach for... love having variety and always good when I return to a set I've parked for a while, as was the case this morning with IE900.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #31,575 of 87,496
Some Sunday night Bandcamp shopping yesterday landed this gem - been in my wishlist a while. Female vocalist, with an excellent array of instruments - hard to pigeon hole the genre, but certainly leans trip hop, instrumental, experimental - anyway, its a fantastic album and she has a great voice.

Wow, this is cool. It never ceases to amaze me how many 'new' female vocalists I discover every week, despite having a collection of thousands. A quick listen suggests this is another one to add to the collection. I'm definitely far more of a music collector than anything else. I currently have it playing on my MacBook Pro speakers...this is going to sound dope on the Z1R!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back