The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 8, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #31,546 of 86,758
In fact, I'm quite satisfied with the current lineup, but there will definitely be some excellent IEMs that I missed, such as the limited 750 pair from ALO Campfire Audio Solaris.
As nobody has yet done the honors, welcome to the Head Fi Matching-Named-Avatar Club.

We're quite a select group.

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #31,547 of 86,758
In fact, I'm quite satisfied with the current lineup, but there will definitely be some excellent IEMs that I missed, such as the limited 750 pair from ALO Campfire Audio Solaris.
Is there one hybrid model in you collection which can be more or less same volume in the ear as the Sennheiser IE900/IE600 that can be used for laying down with the head on the side on a cushion ?
Basically I enjoy both IE600 and IE900 .. but, I am still missing a bit the hybrid sound quality of the IER-Z1R or VE EXT ... but both can almost never be used with my head on a cushion.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #31,548 of 86,758
86BD3EA5E78DDE1A4917E174AEDD321E.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. My name is Anfernee, and I am an audiophile currently living in the US. Due to work reasons, I prefer portable gears, I can take a lot of IEMs with me on a trip, and I don't have to worry about them becoming a burden on me. Maybe someday, I'll consider taking my friend's advice and stepping into unfamiliar territory :).

I like copper cables from all over the world because I like a more natural sounding, the only affliction is that there will always be all kinds of difficulties in purchasing.

I haven't published any professional review articles, but I have constructed my own "top gear list" and called them "BIG 12". I generally maintain 12 pairs of headphones and cables as my starting lineup, and they change over time when better challengers emerge; those who are eliminated will be sold; that's my "law of the jungle" for them :p.

I like to pursue the ultimate sound experience, and this is not limited to the brand reputation of products or their history. You'll see that I might be bashing a brand the day before and then immediately rave about a new product as it comes out and experiences it. I love connecting with people; it keeps me motivated and passionate about the community :gs1000smile:.
Welcome. Nice selection of gear!

What's your tipple for music genre's?

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #31,549 of 86,758

Thanks for the welcome. My name is Anfernee, and I am an audiophile currently living in the US. Due to work reasons, I prefer portable gears, I can take a lot of IEMs with me on a trip, and I don't have to worry about them becoming a burden on me. Maybe someday, I'll consider taking my friend's advice and stepping into unfamiliar territory :).

I like copper cables from all over the world because I like a more natural sounding, the only affliction is that there will always be all kinds of difficulties in purchasing.

I haven't published any professional review articles, but I have constructed my own "top gear list" and called them "BIG 12". I generally maintain 12 pairs of headphones and cables as my starting lineup, and they change over time when better challengers emerge; those who are eliminated will be sold; that's my "law of the jungle" for them :p.

I like to pursue the ultimate sound experience, and this is not limited to the brand reputation of products or their history. You'll see that I might be bashing a brand the day before and then immediately rave about a new product as it comes out and experiences it. I love connecting with people; it keeps me motivated and passionate about the community :gs1000smile:.
Welcome to Headfi @Anfernee

I would’ve said sorry for your wallet, but it appears that ship has already sailed 😂

You have an insane collection! 🔥

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #31,550 of 86,758
Music Appreciation Post:

Totally randomly youtube suggested me this track:

This is Taiwanese Folk Metal. Nini is a Taiwanese instrumentalist who has been playing several different Chinese Traditional Instruments for over 20 years. Immediately after listening to this track I knew I had to have all of her collection. Headed over to Bandcamp, and surprise! Quite a lot of her tracks are free to download, while the 2 albums cost $1 each. There was an offer of $5.25 to get the complete collection so far, and even though quite a number of singles were free to download, it took me just about 10 minutes of comprehension to decide on getting the full discography. Her works are spectacular, versatile, and never fails to amaze me! Here are some of her tracks and the albums:

She's quite talented and I will make sure to follow her and support her on her musical journey.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #31,551 of 86,758

Welcome to Head-Fi and the Cooler thread @Anfernee !
And congrats for you gears! 🤤
Can you please share your BIG 12 list with us?

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #31,552 of 86,758
I think source is massively important-- but a lot more so with some IEMs than others. I've only demoed the Jewel twice-- once on my M8 and again on my M9. On my M8 the highs were overdone and I didn't enjoy Jewel all that much. Conversely on the M9 it was perfect during my brief demo on that player I got a sense of why the IEM is so revered. Traillii, on the other hand, has sounded great to me on everything I've plugged it into.

Sound just like beauty is in the ear of the beholder. I have said this often but for me once you hit about $1K (or just below in a few cases) you're at a point where improvements will be mostly in the arena of fine tuning and personal preferences. I can appreciate the higher tier sets but I haven't found one yet that can top my favorite kilobuck sets when it comes simply to sustained personal enjoyment. I envy many of you who can hoover up everything on the market with impunity-- this has never been an option for me...every purchase requires careful thought and judicious sacrifice. Fortunately right now we are living through a golden age of portable audio where it's possible for anyone to find many avenues for bliss at whatever price tier they're operating on.
Yes, this is a great advantage of Bird - it is able to sound perfectly, it seems, from any source. I even connected it to my laptop for the sake of interest. And I can't name a source with which it would sound bad.

Undoubtedly, each IEM has its optimal range for most productive work. However, it seems to me that we live in a time where there is no point in trying to create the so-called ideal conditions for a model if it can only sound good with one source, cable, tips, music and the phase of the moon.
Versatility is an advantage.

But fortunately, there are almost no bad models in the segment from $1k and above. So I think we could all put up with one of them if we had to. I mean the increase in quality in the sub $1k segment is much greater than the $1k and up segment.
But the comparison often shows why one model costs 1k and another 3 or 4.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #31,553 of 86,758

Pour this gentleman a whiskey and give him another hobby, I think he's completed the audiophile game))
Welcome. I think few people started more rather in this game)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #31,554 of 86,758
I don't really understand how power can impact anything audible other than reaching a listenable volume.
Pretty simple. Power is control. A more powerful source controls the headphones more easily than a less powerful one. Even if it is not about the fact that the less powerful source "don`t drive" headphones.
Conventionally speaking, an athlete who can lift 100 kilograms will lift 50 much more easily than one who can lift only 70. But when it is necessary to lift only 20 or 10 - they can both be almost equally effective.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #31,555 of 86,758
Pretty simple. Power is control. A more powerful source controls the headphones more easily than a less powerful one. Even if it is not about the fact that the less powerful source "don`t drive" headphones.
Conventionally speaking, an athlete who can lift 100 kilograms will lift 50 much more easily than one who can lift only 70. But when it is necessary to lift only 20 or 10 - they can both be almost equally effective.
Perfect analogy. This is especially true for DD IEMs and DD hybrids.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #31,556 of 86,758

Welcome to Head-Fi and the best thread, @Anfernee! That's an awesome collection you have there.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #31,558 of 86,758

Hi welcome! Happy to see another cable fan, esp a copper cable fan. Could you please share what you think would be the differences between the PWAudio cables you’ve listed in your signature? Curious to hear your views :wink:

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #31,559 of 86,758
If one had 6 cables 6 iems how many combos does one have? I’ll guess 720 at 6*5*4*3*2*1. But I failed probability 3 times at uni so….

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #31,560 of 86,758
If one had 6 cables 6 iems how many combos does one have? I’ll guess 720 at 6*5*4*3*2*1. But I failed probability 3 times at uni so….
They depend on the connector (2 pin, MMCX...) 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back