The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #30,226 of 87,564
Great thanks, one more question how does Szalayi sound different than XE6, and everything else you have? XE6 particularly since I have that IEM already. Helpful info on EVO.

I was expecting tamer less energy everywhere for Szalayi compared to XE6.
I definitely haven't burned in the Szalayi for quite enough time to be able to give a truly definitive answer to that question but, from my current perspective, they are very different. The Szalayi is definitely not tamer, with less energy, that's for sure. At least not in the bass.

What sets the Szalayi apart from others in my collection is that all three frequency ranges are clearly set apart from each other. The Bass driver unmistakably pushes air like a DD, the mids have that full, clean precision of a Planar and the treble is unquestionably BA, extending nicely (without sibilance), but perhaps not as much as Electrostats or Piezos might. I know that sounds like a recipe for incohesion, but somehow it creates something unique and magical. (I suspect that, as they burn in, the bass will calm down a little and will only increase the overall cohesion of the signature).

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #30,227 of 87,564
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #30,228 of 87,564
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #30,229 of 87,564
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #30,230 of 87,564
Which is more maintenance a tube amplifier and a cat or 4 babes and a boat?
I don't think people really understand what goes into maintaining a yacht. I had an event in the early 2000s for some rich potential investors on a yacht. The owner let us use it for entertainment. It had 3 state rooms and a full crew. The owner told us it was $20,000 per month to maintain it. No matter how many babes that boat attracted, it wouldn't be worth the time and energy I would need to expend to keep it. Besides, babes who like you for your money aren't worth keeping around either. The only babe I would want is the one who stays with me when I lose everything and the yacht is gone. Oh, that's the one I have. Lucky me.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #30,231 of 87,564
It's added mid bass relative to the EVO might give the impression of it being more mid bass focussed but the XE6 absolutely does not skimp on the sub bass.
I’ve been going back and forth between the Xe6 and Z1R the last couple of weeks and I’ve come to the same conclusion about the Xe6.

My first reaction when going back to the Z1R from the Xe6 is that the Z1R feels somewhat ‘hollow’ in the middle. This goes away after about a minute as my brain readjusts back to the cavernous majesty of the Z1R.

Even after this time with both I still can’t say which has ‘better’ bass, they are both outstanding.

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #30,232 of 87,564
I’ve been going back and forth between the Xe6 and Z1R the last couple of weeks and I’ve come to the same conclusion about the Xe6.

My first reaction when going back to the Z1R from the Xe6 is that the Z1R feels somewhat ‘hollow’ in the middle. This goes away after about a minute as my brain readjusts back to the cavernous majesty of the Z1R.

Even after this time with both I still can’t say which has ‘better’ bass, they are both outstanding.
Z1R and XE6 are both great and polar opposites. Clarity and punch are the Z1R fortes. I prefer the bass on Z1R because it has a more traditional bass shelf. Where I have a problem is its mids. The XE6 is overloaded in the mids.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #30,233 of 87,564
Noticing that MusicTeck has listed Eletech in their website.

Both Andrew and Eric have exceptional customer service and excellent reputation. So excited that they're teaming up.

E6327202-357A-40DA-99A1-77A6C8FD4A1F.jpeg

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #30,235 of 87,564
Z1R and XE6 are both great and polar opposites. Clarity and punch are the Z1R fortes. I prefer the bass on Z1R because it has a more traditional bass shelf. Where I have a problem is its mids. The XE6 is overloaded in the mids.
It's interesting how you describe the mids on the xe6. I had a similar thoughts as soon as I heard it, to me they seemed very dense and not really to my liking. You definitely get use to it the more you listen to it though... mind blowing bass makes you forget. Unfortunately I need my mids to be just right :frowning2:. Very similar thoughts with the z1r, immediately though that there something off about the mids but didn't know hot to describe it at first. After listening for a while... they seemed missing to a degree? A bit too hollow and recessed to my liking and I had to let them go.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #30,236 of 87,564
It's interesting how you describe the mids on the xe6. I had a similar thoughts as soon as I heard it, to me they seemed very dense and not really to my liking. You definitely get use to it the more you listen to it though... mind blowing bass makes you forget. Unfortunately I need my mids to be just right :frowning2:. Very similar thoughts with the z1r, immediately though that there something off about the mids but didn't know hot to describe it at first. After listening for a while... they seemed missing to a degree? A bit too hollow and recessed to my liking and I had to let them go.
Exactly. You get used to the XE6 over time. The Z1R has recessed lower mids. You can solve it with a warm source which serves a dual purpose of elevating the mid and subbass as you bring up the mids to a more listenable level. Or, you can EQ them which also works well. To me, the Z1R is about punch and clarity. I hear it that way almost every time I listen to them. And I like it. I also like the XE6 for other reasons. Iike it for its energetic listen

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #30,237 of 87,564
Exactly. You get used to the XE6 over time. The Z1R has recessed lower mids. You can solve it with a warm source which serves a dual purpose of elevating the mid and subbass as you bring up the mids to a more listenable level. Or, you can EQ them which also works well. To me, the Z1R is about punch and clarity. I hear it that way almost every time I listen to them. And I like it. I also like the XE6 for other reasons. Iike it for its energetic listen
Sounds good, I use my mojo + fiio m11 + xinhs graphene cable ( and also the Singxer but I'm now selling that as well and using the audio gd master 9 + holo may L2 instead) for all the iems I have tried. I'm thinking they were not warm enough to address those issues on the z1r. Which source would you recommend with the z1r?

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #30,238 of 87,564
Talking about warm sources. My friend was experimenting with the mojo and did some capacitor rolling for a while, we found a pair that really made my VE ext sing on the mids (after comparing regular mojo and modded mojo the ext seem very dark with the og). Same effect on the kinera nannas. Not so much on the lz a6 though (it was impervious to it). The problem was that mojo wouldn't stay on, we had to adapt an external/permanent power supply through the spdf port and since the caps were substantially bigger I couldn't keep the battery. Runs great, cool and fixes a lot of iems but Somehow I still prefer the lzs.

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg

677887709.jpg

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #30,239 of 87,564
I don't think people really understand what goes into maintaining a yacht. I had an event in the early 2000s for some rich potential investors on a yacht. The owner let us use it for entertainment. It had 3 state rooms and a full crew. The owner told us it was $20,000 per month to maintain it. No matter how many babes that boat attracted, it wouldn't be worth the time and energy I would need to expend to keep it. Besides, babes who like you for your money aren't worth keeping around either. The only babe I would want is the one who stays with me when I lose everything and the yacht is gone. Oh, that's the one I have. Lucky me.
Yeah, I see what you mean. It would be terrible.

girls on a yacht.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back