The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 25, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #30,196 of 84,802
Szalayi breaking in,

IEMs I want to buy before 2023:
Sony IER-ZIR
CA Supermoon
Technics TZ700

Jul 25, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #30,197 of 84,802
Looks familiar :)
Szalayi breaking in,

Sony IER-ZIR
CA Supermoon Universal
Technics TZ700

None of these are exceptionally expensive and are good if not great performers

Jul 25, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #30,198 of 84,802
Szalayi breaking in,

Sony IER-ZIR
CA Supermoon
Technics TZ700
Should start sourcing for the IER-Z1R. They seem to be out of stock pretty often in Singapore. :)

Jul 25, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #30,199 of 84,802
Speaking of the IER Z1R 3 years ago this week I received my first one in the mail...

20190730_143706.jpg

Szalayi breaking in,

Sony IER-ZIR
CA Supermoon
Technics TZ700

No Trifecta? :p

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #30,200 of 84,802
Szalayi breaking in,

Sony IER-ZIR
CA Supermoon
Technics TZ700
My current target is just the U12T and maybe a decent mid-range or entry-level high-end Hybrid set.

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #30,202 of 84,802
Depends on how things go at Canjam for me. Leaning on Jewel in CIEM format
is anyone displaying Jewel at Canjam London?

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #30,203 of 84,802
Sorry if you described this before and I missed it.
You have an amazing collection of IEMs and several of them are not shy on bass. I am most curious about what is different than say XE6 or EVO, can you elaborate.

For the price I should just buy one, I am so short on time these days, though different sounding is what interests me the most.

Based on what you said could the Oriolus game plan be; Do not do the same sound profile again. Do our best and call it done.
Both are absolutely top tier IEMs. I'd say the principal differences are that the XE6 has more extension at both ends of the spectrum (and perhaps a bit more mid bass too). It also has a significantly bigger stage. The quality and control of the bass is excellent on both but the tactile nature of the low end has a slightly different flavour on each. I assume this is due to the difference between the XE6's 'kinetic bass' and the EVO's 'weapon x' bone conduction driver in how each delivers it.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with (and I wouldn't want to part with) either. It's impossible for me to say which one would be my preference as both have such unique signatures and I tend to yo-yo between them on any given day.

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #30,204 of 84,802
Both are absolutely top tier IEMs. I'd say the principal differences are that the XE6 has more extension at both ends of the spectrum (and perhaps a bit more mid bass too). It also has a significantly bigger stage. The quality and control of the bass is excellent on both but the tactile nature of the low end has a slightly different flavour on each. I assume this is due to the difference between the XE6's 'kinetic bass' and the EVO's 'weapon x' bone conduction driver in how each delivers it.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with (and I wouldn't want to part with) either. It's impossible for me to say which one would be my preference as both have such unique signatures and I tend to yo-yo between them on any given day.
I noticed that you have the IMR Dark Matter, how would you compare it with XE6 and EVO. Thank you!

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #30,205 of 84,802
Wow 15 pages or so since I went offline Friday.... I don't do the internet on weekends anymore, probably a side effect of so many years in IT. If I don't have to log in I don't!. Anyway I am caught up now only took an hour and a half :p

The Dioko showed up last night. I like the mid range so far so have gravitated to some vocal jazz. We will see what happens as the driver breaks in. think this is quite good for $99. Not sure if I have the correct filter or not either..

Giving my ears a reset form the Thunder which I am absolutely in love with. I have gotten the goose bump effect more with it in the last week than I have had with anything else combined this year. That knd of emotional connection is what I do this for so it's a total winner!

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #30,206 of 84,802
I noticed that you have the IMR Dark Matter, how would you compare it with XE6 and EVO. Thank you!
I would have to A/B them all to give you a more specific answer but...

I'd say the DM is further away in signature than the other two. Whereas the other two are clearly heavily bass dominant, I would describe the DM as 'reference' with an increased bass shelf. All IMR IEMs tend to have excellent, full bass but, with the exception of the IMR BCs perhaps, the bass is less of a 'statement' than in the XE6s and EVOs.

I'm actually in the middle of assessing the DMs for a review at the moment (recommended burn-in time for them is 300 - 500 hours, and I also had an unfortunate accident that sent me to hospital for a while, so I've had a lot of time to listen to them) but - SPOILER ALERT - I can tell you that I absolutely LOVE the DMs. They are one of my absolute favourite IEMs that I've owned and I can't see myself ever letting them go. Their sister flagships, the Avalons, are also excellent. I've said it elsewhere but I think Bob at IMR, aside from being one of the very nicest people in the industry, is also responsible for creating some of the most interesting, exceptional IEMs out there and really deserves to be held in the same regard as the Empire Ears, 64 Audios and Fir Audios of this world.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #30,207 of 84,802
Wow 15 pages or so since I went offline Friday.... I don't do the internet on weekends anymore, probably a side effect of so many years in IT. If I don't have to log in I don't!. Anyway I am caught up now only took an hour and a half :p

The Dioko showed up last night. I like the mid range so far so have gravitated to some vocal jazz. We will see what happens as the driver breaks in. think this is quite good for $99. Not sure if I have the correct filter or not either..

Giving my ears a reset form the Thunder which I am absolutely in love with. I have gotten the goose bump effect more with it in the last week than I have had with anything else combined this year. That knd of emotional connection is what I do this for so it's a total winner!

Thunder are absolutely the definition of emotional connection! Great to hear you are enjoying them.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #30,208 of 84,802
I would have to A/B them all to give you a more specific answer but...

I'd say the DM is further away in signature than the other two. Whereas the other two are clearly heavily bass dominant, I would describe the DM as 'reference' with an increased bass shelf. All IMR IEMs tend to have excellent, full bass but, with the exception of the IMR BCs perhaps, the bass is less of a 'statement' than in the XE6s and EVOs.

I'm actually in the middle of assessing the DMs for a review at the moment (recommended burn-in time for them is 300 - 500 hours, and I also had an unfortunate accident that sent me to hospital for a while, so I've had a lot of time to listen to them) but - SPOILER ALERT - I can tell you that I absolutely LOVE the DMs. They are one of my absolute favourite IEMs that I've owned and I can't see myself ever letting them go. Their sister flagships, the Avalons, are also excellent. I've said it elsewhere but I think Bob at IMR, aside from being one of the very nicest people in the industry, is also responsible for creating some of the most interesting, exceptional IEMs out there and really deserves to be held in the same regard as the Empire Ears, 64 Audios and Fir Audios of this world.
I just traded some iems for Dark Matter and I can barely wait to receive it. I am curious about it because it is basically a dynamic driver plus a bone conduction so it can be considered single dynamic and I am hopeful that it will up there with the best single dynamic driver iems (ie 900, Sony ex1000, technics tz700). I would love to hear more about this iems. I would definitely have to read the IMR thread but there are so many pages and so many iems in that thread

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #30,209 of 84,802

More extension at both end of the spectrum?! I can imagine XE6 having more treble extension but can’t imagine anything reaching deeper than EVOs bass… from what I’ve read the XE6 goes for more of a mid bass emphasis and lacks a little extension in the sub bass compared to other TOTL in this area. That’s the impressions I got from the posts I’ve read anyway.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #30,210 of 84,802
Thunder are absolutely the definition of emotional connection! Great to hear you are enjoying them.
Definitely enjoying them! For my tastes they do any genre of music beautifully. Last nights listening was all over the map from the Pineapple Thief to Dr Dre, Amon Tobin to Melody Gardot, Gun's and Roses to Rachmoninoff... all just superb. I love that the bass can hit so hard with texture and definition and yet not obscure anything.
Still a week or so out from my review but I think we know my conclusion.

As far as the Dioko goes I changed the stock cable to one of my Hart Audio modular cables and plugged it into my Singxer SA1. It seemed to wake up. The IEM output on my RME ADI-2 DAC FS didn't really bring out its best. Very very good for it's price point!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back