The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 24, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #30,151 of 87,367
I am here to report that the new SpinFit W1 Ear Tips are excellent.

Very comfortable. They stay in place. Have a good sound. I would say a balanced sound, medium bore tip.

A+

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #30,152 of 87,367
+2. The poetry contained in rap music has the potential to communicate emotion and philosophy in ways other genres can't. Personally, I am less into the nihilistic mumble rap culture that has consumed the mainstream today.

When I am in the mood there's two types of "Rap" music that I listen to:

Pop Fusion: - Songs that are less about substance and more about the euphoric beat & lyricists flow:

Angels and Stars - Eric Turner & Tinie Tempah

Young Forever - Jay-Z

Tupac - California Love

Zion - Coastin

Story Telling:
Mike Posner - We own it (Fast and the Furious Soundtrack Remix):

- Inspiring and uplifting. Back when I was in my early 20s with nothing in my pocket working odd fast food jobs, this song would get me through the day.

Jay Z - Diamonds From Sierra Leone:

- This song raises the moral and ethical dilemma about materialism.

Eminem - When I'm Gone

-It's been a while since I listened to Eminem. Had another go today. This hits differently now that I have a kid. This and Mockingbird are my top two Eminem songs.

Dumbfoundead - Jam Sesson 2.0

- This still gives me goosebumps. I love how this song effortlessly brings together people from all walks of life using different languages and even instruments.

Mc Sniper - Better Than Yesterday:

- Killer sample track of Rocky theme song. Raw talent. It speaks volumes about the struggle that Koreans went through to make it to where we are today. It also has the fastest and accurate bars I have ever heard from a rapper called Outsider 3:54.

Apart from the ones already mentioned here, two of my current favorite emcees are Royce da' 5'9" and Black Thought. They just epitomize wordsmith.

Anyone here Tom Misch fans?
Something I always liked

'Love his music. I've mentioned the slight difference in vocal mixing between track 1 and 2 (IIRC) of his Geography record as a test for an IEM's reference-ness. :D This freestyle jam between him, Yussef Dayes and (the one-and-only Pino Palladino's son) Rocco Palladino is an underrated favorite of mine.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #30,153 of 87,367
Good points, also big price difference. With the single driver exceeding the Oriolus in cost. Coherency would be a concern with the Szalayi. So far have not read much excitement about the Szalayi, more people like me wondering, is it like Isabellae and great for the price, or is she even better than that. You really like the Supermoon based on your posts.
If this new set tops that for 40% less money than that says something.

Not too much pressure, realize your reactions are just how you hear them. Do you have another set with a planar inside to compare?
I can answer that. Yes, it’s extraordinary value for the price as long as you enjoy a bassier-leaning IEM. It has an overall sound signature quite unlike anything else in my collection. Personally, I love it!

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #30,154 of 87,367
I can answer that. Yes, it’s extraordinary value for the price as long as you enjoy a bassier-leaning IEM. It has an overall sound signature quite unlike anything else in my collection. Personally, I love it!
Sorry if you described this before and I missed it.
You have an amazing collection of IEMs and several of them are not shy on bass. I am most curious about what is different than say XE6 or EVO, can you elaborate.

For the price I should just buy one, I am so short on time these days, though different sounding is what interests me the most.

Based on what you said could the Oriolus game plan be; Do not do the same sound profile again. Do our best and call it done.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #30,155 of 87,367
Epic shootout,
Campfire Vs Oriolus battle of next gen IEM planar.

Cannot wait to hear your thoughts after burn in time has past (be it brain, driver, or cable) and sorted out what each set needs as far as amping goes to reach potential.
If I could, I would compare, of course.
However, I don't think it's entirely fair - single driver vs hybrids. Let's say, I don't compare them with oBravo Venus, which are a hybrid - planar and DD.
After all, as far as I can tell, the Ori have a distinct and tight bass. At the same time, Supermoon is more of a monitor. An even presentation that sounds whole, but is oriented towards a more honest, analytical presentation.

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #30,156 of 87,367

Yeah I love it too, with a caveat to say I've been only listening to electronic music really so far, and even that has been somewhat limited due to first of all leaving to burn-in, then a focus on Moonlight over the weekend as I've a review to publish. It definitely has unique tuning with big and coherent bass, mid and sub... each time I've had a quick listen, Szalayi has delivered a big smile to my face and I'm looking forward to spending more quality time soon.

Just noticed I stepped over the 20k likes and not far from 5k posts - which tells me I've spent too much time (and money) as a result of Head-Fi since I innocently swung by in November 2020 to read up on the ZX507, an upgrade at the time for the ZX300, which interestingly I still have the latter, but not the former!

I feel like I'm edging my way to really deeply understand my tuning preferences, and possibly even 'settling down' on a few once Jewel lands... A solitary pig just flew passed my window, he used to keep quite a lot of company during flight... 🐖 🐷

But I've a big ZERO when it comes to medals, and I'm very keen to get to a CanJam and finally meet some of the wonderful people I've met here, many I speak with almost daily and countless have been instrumental in helping me navigate this crazy but wonderful addiction hobby :)

Screenshot_20220724-204521_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #30,157 of 87,367

That's quite a statement considering your collection :D

Not too much pressure, realize your reactions are just how you hear them. Do you have another set with a planar inside to compare?

No my only experience with planars has been with Timeless and then Supermoon and the latter is a considerable improvement to the former imho. Szalayi is a going to be a different sort of sound sig and possibly more of a special teams IEM for me.

At the same time, Supermoon is more of a monitor. An even presentation that sounds whole, but is oriented towards a more honest, analytical presentation.

I would agree with that but add that I feel it has just enough romance/fun factor/engagement to not land it squarely in the "reference monitor" category. For this reason the Supermoon to me represents Campfire's long awaited spiritual successor to the Andromeda.

How are you enjoying the SM?

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #30,158 of 87,367
One of our Canadian tour group participants went blind on a Supermoon and sent me the following:

"Thanks for the recommendation bud! I bought the custom audiophile fit. I do not have a Dap currently but I have never had music sound so amazing on my Samsung S8. Really stellar. Saw the complaint online regarding metallic midrange. Don't hear it. Sound very planar to me. Really excellent."

3 months in and still my fave :D

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #30,159 of 87,367
Yeah I love it too, with a caveat to say I've been only listening to electronic music really so far, and even that has been somewhat limited due to first of all leaving to burn-in, then a focus on Moonlight over the weekend as I've a review to publish. It definitely has unique tuning with big and coherent bass, mid and sub... each time I've had a quick listen, Szalayi has delivered a big smile to my face and I'm looking forward to spending more quality time soon.
Count me as another who is absolutely loving the szalayi so far. Electronic is great on them, but I have been enjoying some classic rock too and think they do well there as well.

I haven't done any direct comparisons with my two remaining more expensive pairs (duo and Jolene), but I do think they definitely compete on the same level

Also count me surprised that (so far) I haven't really experienced much if any discomfort with them even though they are fairly large. Tomorrow at work will be the real test.

Szalayi is a going to be a different sort of sound sig and possibly more of a special teams IEM for me.

You may be right about that. I know you are big on mids, and while they aren't bad by any stretch, but they definitely aren't a mid focused iem. Very interested to hear your thoughts.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #30,160 of 87,367
Count me as another who is absolutely loving the szalayi so far. Electronic is great on them, but I have been enjoying some classic rock too and think they do well there as well.

I haven't done any direct comparisons with my two remaining more expensive pairs (duo and Jolene), but I do think they definitely compete on the same level

Also count me surprised that (so far) I haven't really experienced much if any discomfort with them even though they are fairly large. Tomorrow at work will be the real test.

You may be right about that. I know you are big on mids, and while they aren't bad by any stretch, but they definitely aren't a mid focused iem. Very interested to hear your thoughts.

It's funny, and probably due to the hit and miss nature of my time with them so far, plus mostly electronic music but I found the mids quite vibrant and even lush... but I guess the key will be how it might differ when it comes to non electronic instruments and vocals. But bass certainly the star player with Szalayi, hard to ignore it! Definitely trying them again tonight for a longer session.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #30,161 of 87,367
Sometimes listen IEMs was listed for sale is dangerous.
Dark sky will stay with me again, sounds marvelous with RS6 and N6ii ti also.🤩

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #30,162 of 87,367
I am here to report that the new SpinFit W1 Ear Tips are excellent.

Very comfortable. They stay in place. Have a good sound. I would say a balanced sound, medium bore tip.

A+
Compared to AZLA SednaEarfit Max Standard?

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #30,163 of 87,367
Hi friends,

I just caught up with the last couple hundred pages (the total page count more than doubled over the last 6 months, whew 😅). I took an extended break from Head-Fi largely out of disillusionment with a crappy CIEM buying experience that was no one's fault, really. In short, CIEMs didn't fit because my impressions had issues with them, then because of the pandemic (and the fact that Penon is based in HK) I had to wait half a year to fix this issue. Today I have *finally* received my snugly-fit Penon Volt CIEMs and I feel like I can finally breathe... Way too early to write down any impressions (<1hr), but just wanted to share this highly cathartic moment!

Happy to see so much activity in the thread and newcomers :)

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #30,165 of 87,367
It's funny, and probably due to the hit and miss nature of my time with them so far, plus mostly electronic music but I found the mids quite vibrant and even lush... but I guess the key will be how it might differ when it comes to non electronic instruments and vocals. But bass certainly the star player with Szalayi, hard to ignore it! Definitely trying them again tonight for a longer session.
Im wondering if it's possible that because the bass is strong enough and has a good subbass focus, that the lower mids/upper bass are maybe a bit less forward making them sound slightly thinner to me. Really might be the music choices too.

Who knows. There's a bit of a quality to these that I have a hard time putting into words. Might also be that I haven't been super active in this hobby this year. All I know is I'm pretty sure these are keeper, and at least for the near future they will be getting most of my ear time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back