The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 19, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #29,611 of 87,105
Anyone notice the strength of the USD to the Euro and GBP lately?

As an Australian who wants to buy gear from States, yes. USD is the highest against AUD since Covid started.

Usd is seen as safe currency - so it peaks during uncertain times.
Good for US consumers but bad for manufacturers

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #29,612 of 87,105
This guy would find a way to profit.

He has to go with CIEM.

Re: IEM Quote

Hi there,

We have received your measurements for your custom Mason Green Goblin. Due to the unusual amount of materials required (i.e. ultra rare pinewood sourced from the hull of the Titanic, eco-friendly mars expedition grade aluminum). It would come to $249,999 (per ear). Would you like to know about our cables?

Thanks,

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #29,613 of 87,105

Hi there,

We have received your measurements for your custom Mason Green Goblin. Due to the unusual amount of materials required (i.e. ultra rare pinewood sourced from the hull of the Titanic, eco-friendly mars expedition grade aluminum). It would come to $249,999 (per ear). Would you like to know about our cables?

Thanks,
Two bars of latinum would cover it then.
Will beam over for the exchange.
Got cables covered by the replicator.
Excited…

Listen mostly to the Klingon Opera genre, is this the best set to bring out the musk of the vocals, and the strident tones with ear-shattering precision?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #29,614 of 87,105
You guys know what? Auteur is the real MVP :p There I said it.

In my journey as an audio lover, I was lucky enough to audition a lot of good stuff including the HD600, HD650, Hifiman Arya, Ananda, HE1SE, Susvara, ZMF Verite Closed, and even the Sennheiser HE1(The list includes a few more) Thanks to the community here in my country and my good friends. HE1 is out of the league for the years to come because even 10 kidneys are not enough for it. HD800S is something I liked that will come someday into my collection to complement my auteur. Planars I like the Arya and Ananda, but they don't stand in front of ZMF Auteur for me. (Personal opinion). Auteur just sounds right, I mean I can sense it is colored, it has a slightly warmish tonality, but the soundstage depth is just exceptionally good, and the overall output is so musical, that it keeps me hooked on to the Auteur for hours.

auetier.jpg
I‘m a fellow owner of an Auteur as well and agree with your sentiments. It’s such a relaxing yet engaging listen.

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #29,615 of 87,105
Anyone notice the strength of the USD to the Euro and GBP lately? The USD and Euro are at par and the GBP is only 1.20 USD. Haven't seen these exchange rates in a long time. Good time for Americans to buy. This is surprising given the state of the US economy and inflation rate.
Funny how the prices of DCS are not any better for us.

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #29,616 of 87,105
Jul 20, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #29,617 of 87,105

Hi there,

Thanks,
you forgot to mention Anaconda's ear wax as the outer shielding on the cable :p

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #29,619 of 87,105
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #29,620 of 87,105
Congrats on the Supermoon. I reached out to CA today and got on the waitlist for a demo unit.
Hi discord,

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Went for a coffee run at Tilt Coffee Bar (in Downtown, Los Angeles), on a sunny Tuesday morning (7/19).
TiltCoffee-ColdBrewCoffee.jpg
Cold brew coffee, with mild lingering fruit notes of fermented cherry ending in a smooth tart finish (behind Tilt Coffee Bar, in Downtown, Los Angeles, California, 7/19). The taste reminded me of a refreshing cold fermented radish broth from dong chi mi guksu (Korean cold noodle soup). =)

Moving on to Supermoon. There’s something I find a little unique in the way Supermoon (ciem) presents its sound, with an engaging dynamic performance. It’s like a wide band of sounds rushing towards & past you and moving up-close across the whole front stage with bodied heft, airiness and speed in a fairly linear but spacious way.

To get the most out of Supermoon, I find it needs some extra power to sound its best (near 1 watt or more). A transportable dap with fairly high power output, or a desktop amp/dac with high power output at low impedance (in low gain/balanced) can get Supermoon to scale up more in dynamics, imaging and soundstage.

I currently use my Supermoon ciem (w/ Plus Sound 4-wire spc cable in 4.4) with a Topping DX7 Pro desktop amp/dac (w/ single ess9038 pro dac chip). With this setup, at 1.7 watts (in low gain & 4.4 balanced), Supermoon sounds more full, open and spacious with a bigger presence to its sound and stage.
Supermoon-plussound4wirespc-DX7Pro.jpg
Campfire Audio Supermoon ciem (in audiophile-fit) w/ Plus Sound 4-wire spc in 4.4 & Topping DX7 Pro amp/dac.

For fit and comfort, I don’t know how Campfire Audio universal-fit shells fare in comfort. But, I’d go as far to say that comfort in Supermoon custom-fit (in audiophile fit, with shorter nozzle in relaxed fit) is the most comfortable iem I’ve tried and worn, even more comfortable than my Samsung Galaxy Buds (1st gen) and Apple AirPods Pro, for hours of non-fatiguing listening at a time.

When they’re fit snug in the ears, the shells protrude out a bit, as its larger housing is probably due to additional parts needed to support the structure of the planar driver inside the shells.
Supermoon-ciem-plussound4wirespc-rightear.jpg
Front side view of Supermoon ciem w/ Plus Sound 4-wire spc cable (in my right ear).

From a visual comparison, Supermoon custom-fit shell is noticeably more thick and wide with a larger housing, compared to the more narrow-bodied universal-fit shell with slimmer nozzle of Vision Ears VE8.
Supermoon-ciem-sideview.jpg
Supermoon ciem (audiophile-fit).

VE8-universalfit-sideview.jpg
Vision Ears VE8 (universal-fit).

Some other things to note is the nozzles of Supermoon custom-fit (maybe due to not having a mesh filter of some kind) attract some dust (and other particles) inside, and the silver plated mmcx socket housing on the shells can get scratched easily.
Supermoon-silverplatedmmcxhousing.jpg
Within the first three days of light to moderate use, my Supermoon ciem (right side) has picked up scratch marks along the front side of the silver plated mmcx socket housing.

While Supermoon won’t wow you on first listen out of the box, it’s a unique take on planar sound with a distinct expansive and dynamic feel, which takes a little time to adjust to and get a feel for its sound & presentation as a whole.

In any case, I hope you find Supermoon to have an enjoyable sound and feel you’re looking for. =)

-Daniel.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #29,621 of 87,105
Hi discord,

Went for a coffee run at Tilt Coffee Bar (in Downtown, Los Angeles), on a sunny Tuesday morning (7/19).
TiltCoffee-ColdBrewCoffee.jpg
Cold brew coffee, with mild lingering fruit notes of fermented cherry ending in a smooth tart finish (behind Tilt Coffee Bar, in Downtown, Los Angeles, California, 7/19). The taste reminded me of a refreshing cold fermented radish broth from dong chi mi guksu (Korean cold noodle soup). =)

Moving on to Supermoon. There’s something I find a little unique in the way Supermoon (ciem) presents its sound, with an engaging dynamic performance. It’s like a wide band of sounds rushing towards & past you and moving up-close across the whole front stage with bodied heft, airiness and speed in a fairly linear but spacious way.

To get the most out of Supermoon, I find it needs some extra power to sound its best (near 1 watt or more). A transportable dap with fairly high power output, or a desktop amp/dac with high power output at low impedance (in low gain/balanced) can get Supermoon to scale up more in dynamics, imaging and soundstage.

I currently use my Supermoon ciem (w/ Plus Sound 4-wire spc cable in 4.4) with a Topping DX7 Pro desktop amp/dac (w/ single ess9038 pro dac chip). With this setup, at 1.7 watts (in low gain & 4.4 balanced), Supermoon sounds more full, open and spacious with a bigger presence to its sound and stage.
Supermoon-plussound4wirespc-DX7Pro.jpg
Campfire Audio Supermoon ciem (in audiophile-fit) w/ Plus Sound 4-wire spc in 4.4 & Topping DX7 Pro amp/dac.

For fit and comfort, I don’t know how Campfire Audio universal-fit shells fare in comfort. But, I’d go as far to say that comfort in Supermoon custom-fit (in audiophile fit, with shorter nozzle in relaxed fit) is the most comfortable iem I’ve tried and worn, even more comfortable than my Galaxy Buds (1st gen) and AirPods Pro, for hours of non-fatiguing listening at a time.

When they’re fit snug in the ears, the shells protrude out a bit, as its larger housing is probably due to additional parts needed to support the structure of the planar driver inside the shells.
Supermoon-ciem-plussound4wirespc-rightear.jpg
Front side view of Supermoon ciem w/ Plus Sound 4-wire spc cable (in my right ear).

From a visual comparison, Supermoon custom-fit shell is noticeably more thick and wide with a larger housing, compared to the more narrow-bodied universal-fit shell with slimmer nozzle of Vision Ears VE8.
Supermoon-ciem-sideview.jpg

VE8-universalfit-sideview.jpg

Some other things to note is the nozzles of Supermoon custom-fit (maybe due to not having a mesh filter of some kind) attract some dust (and other particles) inside, and the silver plated mmcx socket housing on the shells can get scratched easily.
Supermoon-silverplatedmmcxhousing.jpg
Within the first three days of light to moderate use, my Supermoon ciem (right side) has picked up scratch marks along the silver plated mmcx socket housing.

While Supermoon won’t wow you on first listen out of the box, it’s a unique take on planar sound with a distinct expansive and dynamic feel, which takes a little time to adjust to and get a feel for its sound & presentation as a whole.

In any case, I hope you find Supermoon to have an enjoyable sound and feel you’re looking for. =)

-Daniel.
Well. At least custom is not meant for resale otherwise those scratches would be shaving off dough big time.

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #29,622 of 87,105
Hi discord,

One of my fav Korean dishes growing up! Great on a warm day.

Is that the Burson? For me personally experimenting with the M17 on over ear mode (3 Watts) for IEMs I didn't notice as much of an upside.

For example sometimes I even prefer running low gain on the N8ii on the Traillii to off set the upper mids for treble heavy music.

For fit and comfort, I don’t know how Campfire Audio universal-fit shells fare in comfort. But, I’d go as far to say that comfort in Supermoon custom-fit (in audiophile fit, with shorter nozzle in relaxed fit) is the most comfortable iem I’ve tried and worn, even more comfortable than my Samsung Galaxy Buds (1st gen) and Apple AirPods Pro, for hours of non-fatiguing listening at a time.

Within the first three days of light to moderate use, my Supermoon ciem (right side) has picked up scratch marks along the silver plated mmcx socket

-Daniel.

Screenshot_20220720-011208_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220720-011900_Gallery.jpg

For scratch proofing something like this wouldn't be a bad idea for stainless steel shells. This came in the Eletech Luxe case. I wonder if its sold separately. @Eric
Chong

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #29,624 of 87,105
One of my fav Korean dishes growing up! Great on a warm day.

Is that the Burson? For me personally experimenting with the M17 on over ear mode (3 Watts) for IEMs I didn't notice as much of an upside.

For example sometimes I even prefer running low gain on the N8ii on the Traillii to off set the upper mids for treble heavy music.

Screenshot_20220720-011208_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220720-011900_Gallery.jpg

For scratch proofing something like this wouldn't be a bad idea for stainless steel shells. This came in the Eletech Luxe case. I wonder if its sold separately. @Eric
Chong
Campfire include those mesh bags with all their IEM’s, and you can buy them separately for $9 :)

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/campfire-audio-mesh-iem-bag/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back