The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 9, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #26,746 of 87,450
Is that the bird cable on the mk.2? Nicely done sir! :beyersmile:

Edit: You don't really want that 7AE do you? :wink::smile:

Haha 7AE is not going anywhere! It matches my desktop system too (same DAC chipset), and I like it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: same chipset family, to be precise...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #26,747 of 87,450
Anyone knowledge on this pair ?

https://ditaaudio.com/collections/dita-classics/products/perpetua

Single DD
Screenshot_2022-06-09-14-21-15-49_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #26,748 of 87,450
You can pick any domain of this hobby you want and there will always be new and better stuff coming out-- and I'm sure planars are no exception to this. There has always been a weird stigma around CFA that they're not a true totl brand and that their IEMs are almost intrinsically at a tier below certain other brands. I was confronted with this right off the bat when I entered this hobby-- being told emphatically and repeatedly early on that the only reason I loved CFA products was because I didn't have sufficient exposure to other, more reputed brands. Well I can tell you after having spent the better part of the past 3 years demoing everything can get my hands on and experiencing much of the best of what's out there that Campfire's best work on its own terms holds its own with anything else out there. So while I am sure that the future will bring more and more planar IEMs of more refined and high quality-- and in fact my number one wish in this hobby right now is for more of my favorite brands to release their own take on one-- I am also growing more and more confident with each passing day that with the Supermoon Campfire has released a benchmark IEM against which future products will be measured. They have set a bar here.

Oh I'm not delaying my decision because I think CFA is behind or inferior by any stretch. I'm actually a pretty big fan of CFA and share the same sentiments as you. Rather, my delay is only based on the $ that I would need to invest once I hit the $2K+ territory. There's so many options, planar or other configurations. I'm also not in a rush because everything I've listened to so far hasn't been able to dethrone my love of the Dorados so substantially that I just need to "have it" right away. The only ones close to that would be supermoon and Phonix but again, at their price points it gives me pause because I'm big on value and for what the Dorados deliver it's so hard to beat IMO. It's not for everyone, but it hits the mark for me when it comes to comfort, tuning, it's sonic profile and price. Sure, I can splurge and grab supermoon or Phonix if I reaaaaaly wanted to but, at this point in my life it wouldn't make me a responsible figure. I've gotta determine value / dollar and equate that to some degree of longevity and sonic satisfaction for a good amount of time. :)

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #26,750 of 87,450
Anyone tried Dita Perpetua? This must be the most expensive single DD available? Another I'm now intrigued about...

https://ditaaudio.com/collections/dita-classics/products/perpetua
It definitely is up there. The Limited Edition SK collab with Final was 2899USD MSRP IIRC. But this time it's their own product. Instead of the Be 10mm DD they used in that project they opt for a slightly bigger "PPT-D" (I'm not sure what that means) 12mm DD. It's not Be so I'm not too sure what really made it so much more expensive. The PPT-D might be the explanation if anyone knows what it means.

Also, @rev92 of Ear-Fidelity should have a review coming up soon so maybe he could share some early impressions here?

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #26,751 of 87,450
It definitely is up there. The Limited Edition SK collab with Final was 2899USD MSRP IIRC. But this time it's their own product. Instead of the Be 10mm DD they used in that project they opt for a slightly bigger "PPT-D" (I'm not sure what that means) 12mm DD. It's not Be so I'm not too sure what really made it so much more expensive. The PPT-D might be the explanation if anyone knows what it means.

Also, @rev92 of Ear-Fidelity should have a review coming up soon so maybe he could share some early impressions here?

I was told by the guys from Dita to let them burn-in for some time, so no initial impressions for now 🙈

BFCE2866-B5F1-4846-B003-C8C5F3C33C4F.jpeg

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #26,752 of 87,450
I was told by the guys from Dita to let them burn-in for some time, so no initial impressions for now 🙈

BFCE2866-B5F1-4846-B003-C8C5F3C33C4F.jpeg
I'm so jelly lol

Hoping to have a go at these someday too!

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #26,754 of 87,450
I heard the Dita Perpetua in SG and thought it was pretty good, probably one of the better single-DDs that I’ve heard. The staging on it really stood out to me, especially for it being a single-DD.

I think the real elephant in the room is the price. Both my friend and I pegged the Perpetua at around a grand at the exact same time when we were discussing it after the show haha. Imagine my surprise to learn it was a $3K DD IEM 😳

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #26,755 of 87,450
I heard the Dita Perpetua in SG and thought it was pretty good, probably one of the better single-DDs that I’ve heard. The staging on it really stood out to me, especially for it being a single-DD.

I think the real elephant in the room is the price. Both my friend and I pegged the Perpetua at around a grand at the exact same time when we were discussing it after the show haha. Imagine my surprise to learn it was a $3K DD IEM 😳

Project Perfection (DITA and PP are the same company) website lists it as $4.5k DD IEM ?

1654828496639.png

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #26,757 of 87,450
Deleted

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #26,758 of 87,450
Oh I'm not delaying my decision because I think CFA is behind or inferior by any stretch. I'm actually a pretty big fan of CFA and share the same sentiments as you. Rather, my delay is only based on the $ that I would need to invest once I hit the $2K+ territory. There's so many options, planar or other configurations. I'm also not in a rush because everything I've listened to so far hasn't been able to dethrone my love of the Dorados so substantially that I just need to "have it" right away. The only ones close to that would be supermoon and Phonix but again, at their price points it gives me pause because I'm big on value and for what the Dorados deliver it's so hard to beat IMO. It's not for everyone, but it hits the mark for me when it comes to comfort, tuning, it's sonic profile and price. Sure, I can splurge and grab supermoon or Phonix if I reaaaaaly wanted to but, at this point in my life it wouldn't make me a responsible figure. I've gotta determine value / dollar and equate that to some degree of longevity and sonic satisfaction for a good amount of time. :)
You have managed to put into words so eloquently what is currently in my heart. Love the Watercooler but it is so easy to get caught up with all the hype and develop a FOMO. I too am really happy with the Dorado!

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #26,760 of 87,450
Accounting for the exchange rate, that’s more expensive in Singapore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back