The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 25, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #22,801 of 87,363
Is it just me, or is it fatiguing with all these releases to keep track of?

It's fatiguing if you're actually looking for something...that is to say if there is some need your currently library/collection doesn't meet. If that's not the case then all it takes is a bit of will power to let go for bit, enjoy what you have and take in everyone else's impressions by proxy.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #22,802 of 87,363
How is the Jewel with Rock, Metal, EDM or Hip Hop?
I really like the Jewel with rock and metal has great dynamics, vocals and metal doesn’t get grungy or smeared. With EDM and hip hop it’s very good but I know my EVO is sometimes better. EDM might be a toss up depending on the amount of layering needed, if it’s a complex track the Jewel is king, if it’s an all bass line track the EVO is better. Rap depends because lots of 90’s rap I like better on the EVO but most modern rap has more to it then just a bass line so the Jewel will again win out for me. Will say the Jewel with stock cable has a thinner sound then with a cable like FT so with stock cable I’d prefer EVO for EDM and rap, but if your willing to swap cables the Jewel’s DD livens up.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #22,803 of 87,363
For the first time in years, if someone told me I could only keep one IEM, I don’t think I’d be as devastated as I would have two months ago. I alway switch IEMs based on the genre of music I felt like listening to, with the Jewel I really haven’t found one genre that’s unpleasant or I feel is drastically missing something. Sure EVO has more bass, but the Jewel still hits hard and low when called upon. Male vocals sound great, female vocals sound amazing, jazz sounds great, orchestra has nice separation and a natural tone. Sure maybe the Traillii has warmer male vocals but in genres with a lot of those deeper male vocals the bass is lacking on the Traillii. Phoenix also has lovely vocals but again missing the bass and now also details and highs. It’s the first IEM in a while that feels fairly complete for my playlists and preferences.

Curious if others would be able to live with one IEM for a while and which would it be?

I finally moved the A12t and Odin out of my bedroom nightstand IEM draw and into their original boxes. Next maybe Jewel custom.

I'm down to two that I'd be content with if they were the only two... ISN EST50, and Aroma Thunder.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #22,804 of 87,363
I'm down to two that I'd be content with if they were the only two... ISN EST50, and Aroma Thunder.
I might have to try the Thunder after really liking the Jewel, but it kind of sits where the EVO is. And I’d also like to try the xe6 and I’ve heard that’s also a bass monster.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #22,807 of 87,363
I don't know. 3 iems may be the least I can ever go. It's what I have been listening to for the last 2 months exclusively with no feeling I am missing out on anything.

The details that set apart IEM's as class leaders in classical and jazz are detrimental elements to have for metal and hip hop, so....
Unless you make concessions I'm not willing to make, there is no IEM that can do justice to all genre's.
It's impossible to have the extended clarity you need in one genre and then be perfectly blunted for the other genre unless we start having mod bits to dampen and change the physical IEM tuning and ports. And that comes with a whole host of other usability issues. It would have to be a transformer.

3 is the magic number for now.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #22,808 of 87,363
I don't know. 3 iems may be the least I can ever go. It's what I have been listening to for the last 2 months exclusively with no feeling I am missing out on anything.

The details that set apart IEM's as class leaders in classical and jazz are detrimental elements to have for metal and hip hop, so....
Unless you make concessions I'm not willing to make, there is no IEM that can do justice to all genre's.
It's impossible to have the extended clarity you need in one genre and then be perfectly blunted for the other genre unless we start having mod bits to dampen and change the physical IEM tuning and ports. And that comes with a whole host of other usability issues. It would have to be a transformer.

I completely agree. I also think 3 is the minimum set to cover all of my music.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #22,809 of 87,363
Apr 25, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #22,810 of 87,363
Three (3) is @Rockwell75 ’s number for IEMs as well.
Daniel,

You definitely need to bring your WA8 to your next Canadian meet up and pair it with an N8ii. When @Rockwell75 hear's his EXT with that set up, it is going to blow his mind. Been listening all morning and it sounds like I am listening to full sized headphones. The holographic imaging is outside my head and the subbass rumble feels like I have a subwoofer in the room. These EXT can really take power which pushes out the stage in a great way. The N8ii keeps everything relatively tight.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #22,811 of 87,363
For the first time in years, if someone told me I could only keep one IEM, I don’t think I’d be as devastated as I would have two months ago. I alway switch IEMs based on the genre of music I felt like listening to, with the Jewel I really haven’t found one genre that’s unpleasant or I feel is drastically missing something. Sure EVO has more bass, but the Jewel still hits hard and low when called upon. Male vocals sound great, female vocals sound amazing, jazz sounds great, orchestra has nice separation and a natural tone. Sure maybe the Traillii has warmer male vocals but in genres with a lot of those deeper male vocals the bass is lacking on the Traillii. Phoenix also has lovely vocals but again missing the bass and now also details and highs. It’s the first IEM in a while that feels fairly complete for my playlists and preferences.

Curious if others would be able to live with one IEM for a while and which would it be?

I finally moved the A12t and Odin out of my bedroom nightstand IEM draw and into their original boxes. Next maybe Jewel custom.
Interesting to think about. I've always looked for all-arounders with safer tuning as I do struggle to swap between IEMs when I have multiple in rotation. I would be totally fine leaving Head-Fi and riding off into the sunset with the FiR Ne4 and the Shanling M9.

Which IEMs in your collection get the nod for the aforementioned genres?

I think I could get away with 2 IEMs as there isn't a huge variety of genres in my library. I rarely, if ever, listen to pop, radio rap, female vocalists, country or classical.

Genre set 1 - Metal (death, black, doom, progressive), rock (progressive, alt, indie), funk, EDM (trap, house, D&B).
IEM wants - punchy, prominent bass but mids that aren't buried. Smooth, well extended treble.
Considerations for the role - Neon 4 currently filling this slot. Xenon 6 as a potential upgrade. Maybe the Aroma Thunder.

Genre set 2 - Jazz, world music, piano, string and wind instruments, acoustic guitar / acoustic trios.
IEM wants - lots of clarity, well layered with plenty of instrument separation and gobs of detail. Visceral yet polite bass.
Considerations for the role - Odin. One of the Masons. Jewel or Traillii, maybe. EXT would be here if I could fit them comfortably.

I liked the EXT with jazz a lot. More so than the Ne4. The Neon suits my preferences better for heavier, more energetic genres such as metal and rock though.

If I sprung for the Jewel or Traillii I'd want them to be the one set to cover all bases purely based on the high price points. But I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with either for my genre set 1.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #22,812 of 87,363
Apr 25, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #22,813 of 87,363
I like having three sets as my daily choices.
Not so much for genres more so for time of day and what I am doing.

Morning I need a lot of energy very strong bass, XE6 or Thummim is my go to for this, choose appropriate music across many genres where the bass work is amazing.

After that, working time, need detail and musicality, Traillii or Mason FS current choices. Want to use while working, my mind will go in and out of the project and the music and when I focus on the tunes I want to hear everything balanced. Almost any genre here is fine though I need feeling in the music no obvious cliche type music as it needs to be deep and inspiring.

Night time, need calm to relax, mid focused, bass and treble audible though not as forward, currently using Isabellae or Elysium for this. Like to chose music here that is slower paced, and tends to be pretty.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #22,814 of 87,363
I think it really comes down to 1) your music library/music tastes, and 2) even with a smaller library or more homogenous genre range, your appetite for variety.

In my case I don't have such an eclectic range of music tastes that require multiple IEMs. Even if I do listen to the occasional classical or jazz album, I'm hardly looking for 'perfection' in those genres.

I have my staple favourites - mainly indie/pop/singer-songwriter/Americana, and it's easy enough to cover all of those with one exceptional IEM that will also do justice to anything else I play through it.

Ultimately though, for me, it comes down to listening time. I'm not wealthy enough to have super expensive gear sit idle, nor am I in the hobby to be a gear collector.

I'm also very happy to audition and listen to all manner of gear without actually needing or wanting to buy any of it. Of course that's easy to say when you've found your dream system, but still.

Apr 25, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #22,815 of 87,363
Interesting to think about. I've always looked for all-arounders with safer tuning as I do struggle to swap between IEMs when I have multiple in rotation. I would be totally fine leaving Head-Fi and riding off into the sunset with the FiR Ne4 and the Shanling M9.

Which IEMs in your collection get the nod for the aforementioned genres?

I think I could get away with 2 IEMs as there isn't a huge variety of genres in my library. I rarely, if ever, listen to pop, radio rap, female vocalists, country or classical.

Genre set 1 - Metal (death, black, doom, progressive), rock (progressive, alt, indie), funk, EDM (trap, house, D&B).
IEM wants - punchy, prominent bass but mids that aren't buried. Smooth, well extended treble.
Considerations for the role - Neon 4 currently filling this slot. Xenon 6 as a potential upgrade. Maybe the Aroma Thunder.
Isabellae, and you save a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back