The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #21,781 of 87,077
Agreed, very interesting results.

Surprised a little Traillii remained so strong.
This mimicked the feedback I got helping at the MT table at CJNY. 50/50 Ext over Phoenix, the other TOTL offerings struggled to beat the Bird, for a few people one of the others did, not many though.
No love for the MADD sets.

I heard those MADD IEMs suck. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Not listened to them myself though.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #21,782 of 87,077
Surprised a little Traillii remained so strong.

I'm honestly not really. Hearing it for the first time is still one of the most singular experiences I've ever had in this hobby. The Bird is the real deal and will likely remain popular for some time.

Edit: What are MADD IEMs?

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #21,783 of 87,077
I'm honestly not really. Hearing it for the first time is still one of the most singular experiences I've ever had in this hobby. The Bird is the real deal and will likely remain popular for some time.

Edit: What are MADD IEMs?
They're from Ambient Acoustics. They piqued quite a bit of interest because they had insane driver counts; 16 in the MADD16 and 24 in the MADD24. This was back when multi-BA IEMs were king, and hybrids hadn't made a comeback yet. A lot of the feedback at the time, my own included, were pretty negative. But, there have been a few positive reviews since, claiming they'd been retuned. It looks like nothing's really changed since.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #21,784 of 87,077
I heard those MADD IEMs suck. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Not listened to them myself though.
They are all BA with no crossovers, 16 and 24 driver choices. I found them extremely accurate and boring, if anyone does in fact like either of them I can understand why.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #21,785 of 87,077
Surprised by the FiR sets, at CJNY not many besides me were talking much about them,
I think they were the silent winner of the weekend.

I think us hobbyists are the real winners here. We are indeed in a golden age of IEMs. Whatever your angle-- mids, bass & treble, technical chops, detail oriented reference tuning, niche exciting tunings...there is something, usually many things, available that perform at a very high level to choose from.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #21,786 of 87,077
There's clearly a lot of good options right now for sure. I think the EXT would be a spot or two higher if it didn't pose so many fit issues. I'm in the pseudo group of "it's turned into more of a problem over time" and am trying various tips out. Sound-wise, I think it's hard to beat. I'd say the ideal demo window is at least three days, but it's harder to have access to that kind of timeframe.

There's an open-box XE6 for $3100 and I can't say I haven't been tempted, but it's basically a blind buy. $3300 for a Phönix -- but again, blind buy -- and I'm not sure I wouldn't be in the EXT-preferring camp given its all-BA design. Like a lot of niche hobbies it can be hard to fight the urges to seek something better or more accommodating to your needs, which in this case is not just sound but ideal comfort.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #21,787 of 87,077
Any Better Call Saul fans here? About to dig into season 6 :D

HUGE fan of both, Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad! My Tw6 avatar is inspired by BB :wink: But Mrs Twister6 wants to wait until season is over and binge watch it at once. But how am I going to stay away from spoilers?

Another one I can't wait for is a series finale of Ozark, end of this month. Probably love it even more than BB/BCS.

And can't wait for reboot of Daredevil and The Punisher on Disney+ :D

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #21,788 of 87,077
Ordered a set of the bullet style 'Quarks' from Moondrop... another sub $15 set. Apparently one that is so small, you can comfortably wear in bed with ear to pillow. On Amazon so I'll find out in 2 days...

That's it now for top tier sets for me, all about hunting for good value 🙈🙉🙊

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09BN3YT1M/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_SYE0RRWVGBJJJYYDDTKK
Plus the final rubber earhooks and you're set for a good night listen or stroll :) It's a nice (and affordable) alternative to earbuds. And it's lighter with better seal too

320099_65086.jpg
320098_65088.jpg

final Ear Hook Type A ($10)

You can also get a pair by buying the final E3000, as it comes with the package. The Quarks and Moondrop Spaceship have both good values IMO :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #21,789 of 87,077
Well this is interesting. So far I've been counting Mason FS and Red Halos as one IEM...wondering if I should split them up after all.
Well, there's only 40 reds in existence so the pool will be rather small compared to the rest...

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #21,790 of 87,077
Lots of CRA talk. Love it. It's well deserved.

That iem makes me smile when I listen with it. $14 wonder.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #21,792 of 87,077
This is my wife's view point of me whenever I mention audio equipment.
grow up.jpg

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #21,794 of 87,077
There's clearly a lot of good options right now for sure. I think the EXT would be a spot or two higher if it didn't pose so many fit issues. I'm in the pseudo group of "it's turned into more of a problem over time" and am trying various tips out. Sound-wise, I think it's hard to beat. I'd say the ideal demo window is at least three days, but it's harder to have access to that kind of timeframe.

There's an open-box XE6 for $3100 and I can't say I haven't been tempted, but it's basically a blind buy. $3300 for a Phönix -- but again, blind buy -- and I'm not sure I wouldn't be in the EXT-preferring camp given its all-BA design. Like a lot of niche hobbies it can be hard to fight the urges to seek something better or more accommodating to your needs, which in this case is not just sound but ideal comfort.
I 100% would have kept the EXT had I been able to get along with the fit. Sound is obviously important but for me fit and comfort is ultimately paramount. Doesn't matter how good an IEM sounds if you can't use it comfortably for extended periods of time.
Another one I can't wait for is a series finale of Ozark, end of this month. Probably love it even more than BB/BCS.
Really looking forward to the series finale! The final episode of the first half of season 4 was INTENSE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back