The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 17, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #21,496 of 87,091
I remember almost getting the 335DW and the Monet17 back in the day, but they were a bit too expensive for what I felt they offered technically. The Air 2, EST and Titan were just at the threshold for me when I tried them in Japan, though I could see how fans of “Eastern tunings” (for lack of a better term) could easily see past that. I guess you could call FitEar a Japanese VE to a degree, where they charge a bit more for that sense of prestige, and their driver-per-dollar ratios are higher than usual.

Of their line-up that I’ve personally tried, the 334 is the one I’d be willing to forgive its lack of raw resolution for (by today’s standards), simply for its musical tone. In fact, its washier sound is what gives it its smooth warmth.

I remember loving the FlipEars Ace when I tried it in Japan as well. I was cynically half-expecting an artificially heightened price for the Aurora, once I saw they put an LCD screen in its packaging. :D To be fair to them, it’s not too bad given the driver count. Of course, whether or not it performs to that level remains to be seen (or heard).
I fell in love with the 334 the same way as well, and it’s funny you say that they’re the Japanese VE :smile:, I’ve mentioned it to my other audio buddies that VE is like the German FitEar haha

I forgot to add the Air 2 to my list actually. Apparently it still sounds quite different from the Titan. I still have yet to hear the 335DW, my SR version is apparently quite different as well. Now that you mentioned the Monet17, I really miss that unique tuning.

I forgot the Flipears IEM I’ve tried, but it only had dual BAs and I was pretty impressed. They were priced well too, but the Aurora is definitely on the extreme side. It was quite a shock for me that they released something that pricey. I’m still eager to try it out one day though.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #21,497 of 87,091
It's a great dap with that amp combo, and excellent price/performance ratio!

Btw, just curious, any updates about STORM, are you testing it now or on the list of reviewers? Not sure about their strategy of who will be allowed to review it.

I don't have any updates on Storm. Just know that its coming as soon as they get their parts in to build up units.
I will be reviewing it. Not sure what their tour strategy will be. I think they may become a sponsor here when its closer to release and announce more info officially.
Toranku posted some basic info on precog's thread : here and here

$4599 tentative release pricing (it may go up after that?) -- apparently its not a super easy thing to build. i know everything they are putting into the accessory package is all custom hand-made stuff from locals in singapore as well as the iem.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #21,498 of 87,091
I can feel a storm brewing in the Cooler...
At the moment it doesn't sound like it will be easy to demo which means blind buying. Wonder how many will do that at this price point now?

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #21,499 of 87,091
At the moment it doesn't sound like it will be easy to demo which means blind buying. Wonder how many will do that at this price point now?

I'd say we'll have a few brave trailblazers...

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #21,500 of 87,091
I'd say we'll have a few brave trailblazers...
A good follow up to the recent survey might be who bought one of the cooler top 5 blind?

(Edit: I've bought 95% blind)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #21,501 of 87,091
A good follow up to the recent survey might be who bought one of the cooler top 5 blind?
2. Red and now Jewel. 3 if indigo was top 5. Don't think ive had a demo of any IEM before I've bought it.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #21,502 of 87,091

Oh I’ve blind bought a lot :D

It would be too hard to do an accurate top 5 but notable blind buys for me: XE6, Ely X, Phonix & EXT, Indigo, Fourte Noir, Z1R, Tia Trio.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #21,504 of 87,091

Looks very interesting!!!

FlipEars Aurora, a wonder of the world that can now be heard. Hear it, believe it.

Technical Specification
2 EST + 6 BA + 2DD twin subwoofers

2 EST - 2 ultra high
6 BA - 2 low-mid, 2 mid, 2 mid-high
2 Subwoofers - Sub-bass.

Frequency Response: 5Hz - 70kHz
Impedance: 21ohms @ 1kHz
Sensitivity: 124dB @ 1mW
Cable: FlipEars 8-core OCC copper cable, 2-pin recessed
Default connector: 2.5mm
Free adapters: 3.5mm, 4.4mm, 6.35mm
Packaging: All leather case with LCD display.

https://flipears.com/product/aurora/

I remember almost getting the 335DW and the Monet17 back in the day, but they were a bit too expensive for what I felt they offered technically. The Air 2, EST and Titan were just at the threshold for me when I tried them in Japan, though I could see how fans of “Eastern tunings” (for lack of a better term) could easily see past that. I guess you could call FitEar a Japanese VE to a degree, where they charge a bit more for that sense of prestige, and their driver-per-dollar ratios are higher than usual.

Of their line-up that I’ve personally tried, the 334 is the one I’d be willing to forgive its lack of raw resolution for (by today’s standards), simply for its musical tone. In fact, its washier sound is what gives it its smooth warmth.

I remember loving the FlipEars Ace when I tried it in Japan as well. I was cynically half-expecting an artificially heightened price for the Aurora, once I saw they put an LCD screen in its packaging. :D To be fair to them, it’s not too bad given the driver count. Of course, whether or not it performs to that level remains to be seen (or heard).

I posted 2 months ago FlipEars aurora but no one tested it…

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #21,505 of 87,091
I forgot the Flipears IEM I’ve tried, but it only had dual BAs and I was pretty impressed. They were priced well too, but the Aurora is definitely on the extreme side. It was quite a shock for me that they released something that pricey. I’m still eager to try it out one day though.
Will wait your feedback!

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #21,506 of 87,091
Wow, if this was available back in December I would have done this. That’s also quite the price premium over the universal model??

6B5F3983-7AB5-4B5A-BC36-9C3C85A2319B.png

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #21,507 of 87,091
I posted 2 months ago FlipEars aurora but no one test it…
Yeah, it's because they aren't really available to demo anywhere outside of select regions in South-East Asia. Their only dealer outside of the Philippines that I know of is in Japan. I believe they may have a dealer in Thailand as well, but I'm not 100% sure. So, the only people who can test them and provide feedback here would probably be @ranfan. As always, it's hard to get impressions out of an IEM, unless it's more readily available to demo. It's why Aroma, for example, didn't really gain traction until MusicTeck started carrying them and offering demo loans.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #21,508 of 87,091
Wow, if this was available back in December I would have done this. That’s also quite the price premium over the universal model??

6B5F3983-7AB5-4B5A-BC36-9C3C85A2319B.png

Ja, that’s quite a premium over $2699USD retail / $2299USD currently on sale price.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #21,509 of 87,091

Has an extra $1k gone on there by accident? O_o

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back