The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #20,746 of 86,926
Some pics:

I received mail from the illustrious @tgx78
IMG_9048.JPG

I won't be able to listen properly for a bit but I wanted to share.

Edit: I haven't nailed the fit yet but they sound lovely out of the headphone gain out of my M9 :D

Since I know some folks here like Canadian natural beauty we took our exchange students on a waterfall/nature tour today through one of our provincial parks:

04D78284-4D64-438D-988B-21631B40D0F6.JPEG19A97231-4AF0-45A1-8EF7-905255E93D54.JPEG2034534C-46A0-4592-B79C-12E6E2FD4F1F.JPEG
C41970C9-936B-45D3-AAE8-E610C355DF13.JPEG

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #20,747 of 86,926
My LX custom arrived! We all know from Odin that EE does fancy very well, but I decided to go with one of the standard faceplate options and am still quite impressed. The fit is absolutely perfect so far! This being my first custom I wasn't sure what to expect, but this really elevates the experience, they just feel right. This may be the default option going forward me, if offered, unless it's an IEM I feel a more fleeting attraction to. I'm now considering getting my Jewel reshelled but I don't think I'd have the patience to be without it for a month.

20220413_183526.jpg20220413_125920.jpg

I spent years on the fence due to the impression process and reading stories here about multiple refits etc...But in the end it turned out to be pretty painless. I checked some local audiologist reviews and went during lunch one day and walked out ~20 minutes later and $50 lighter with boxed impressions ready to be shipped. The audiologist intern wound up taking mine lol (while his preceptor looked on). I was ok with this as it didn't seem like rocket science and general audiologists have plenty of experience taking impressions for hearing aids. I think the prevailing wisdom that you have to shop around for an impression taking 'guru' is probably hype, that or my intern is like a future all star in his rookie year.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #20,749 of 86,926
Hey there, thanks for asking, I'm currently waiting on the Subtonic Storm tbh since it's so interesting imo so i haven't ordered the traillii yet. But sometimes there is a demon calling from the other side that says "Just get Custom Jewel + FT Cable, you won't regret it..." God, I'm truly torn...
You're not the only one. I am in the same boat, probably with a bunch of others too!

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #20,750 of 86,926
I received mail from the illustrious @tgx78
Nice! Can't wait for mine to arrive! Illustrious indeed!

Since I know some folks here like Canadian natural beauty we took our exchange students on a waterfall/nature tour today through one of our provincial parks:
Stunning! You are blessed!

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #20,753 of 86,926
I make a point of scanning the classifieds here at the beginning and end of each day ( a long standing habit) and I must say there's very little of anything interesting appearing in terms of IEMs and DAPs lately.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #20,754 of 86,926
To add more on hiding or being less than open with our spouses / partners regarding our audio purchases, I sent one of my packages to my work place 🫣

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #20,755 of 86,926
So the midweek Cooler Quiz question: how much are you influenced by branding in your choice of audio gear? Would you generally be inclined to pay higher prices based on this influence regardless of product merit?
I'm not sure I would necessarily pay a higher price for something simply because of it's brand reputation, unless that reputation was specifically for exceptional build quality and longevity. For eg I'm happy to pay the "Apple Tax" because I know their products are built to last and hold their value well if I decide to resell. Same would go for audio products from 64Audio, Campfire and Meze, just to pick 3...
Beyond that our tastes and approaches are so totally opposite that I tend to really only take note if he dislikes something as that's an indicator to me that I might really like it.
If I had a nickel for each time I've read something along these lines from you I'd be able to get .... a CCA CRA maybe? :ksc75smile: Because of my many-flavors approach to the hobby so far, I find I agree with much of what Crinacle praises (eg A/U12t) and disagree with much that he doesn't (eg Cascade, Onyx/Honeydew). End of the day, I think his reviews provide a very worthwhile yardstick comparison.
Moondrop is very popular but I'm always jaded by build quality of ChiFi products and have not had much interest in their products despite their raging popularity.
Yeah, initially the term "ChiFi" put me off and made me think immediately of 'low-quality', but that has definitely not been the case at all with the ones I've purchased. I can't think of anything that has been bad, and in fact build quality has pretty much always been quite a lot better than expected vs price. I've only got the one Moondrop, but I can say the Aria is way up there in terms of it's fit and finish, I have no reason to expect it to fail any time soon.
Wish my wife’s handbags were that cheap, it’s only leather, no technology there.
One new handbag==one new IEM, amirite??
Skipped a step:
3. Will your wife kill you? If no go to step 4
4. Purchased
Well I'm not dead yet...
The "explain to the Mrs." is a good bell-weather topic.
I find I don't have much to explain anymore, ref. handbags above.
I spent years on the fence due to the impression process and reading stories here about multiple refits etc...But in the end it turned out to be pretty painless. I checked some local audiologist reviews and went during lunch one day and walked out ~20 minutes later and $50 lighter with boxed impressions ready to be shipped. The audiologist intern wound up taking mine lol (while his preceptor looked on). I was ok with this as it didn't seem like rocket science and general audiologists have plenty of experience taking impressions for hearing aids. I think the prevailing wisdom that you have to shop around for an impression taking 'guru' is probably hype, that or my intern is like a future all star in his rookie year.
@Tokpakorlo excellent post on the topic of getting his own CIEM convinced me that it's not as daunting a prospect as it might at first seem. I finally got around to this myself yesterday, and went to the audiologist recommended by the 64A dealer I'm getting my A12t from. They knew all about doing the impressions for IEMs, I was in and out of there in about 15 minutes. The proof will be in the fit when I get them of course, but at this point I'd do it all over again no problem, if/when I decide to get another custom.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #20,758 of 86,926
You're not the only one. I am in the same boat, probably with a bunch of others too!
you know what, i might ask my dealer if it sounds amazing, then i will get it and try, if its not mindblowing, then sell it and choose between traillii or jewel + FT Cable... haha

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #20,759 of 86,926
Swiss design, very very cool!🤩
Custom Art is one of the brands that got me in the hobby. Music One, Music Two, Pro 330V2, Harmony 8 Pro. Excellent products. They never overcharge their products.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #20,760 of 86,926

Users who are viewing this thread

Back