The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 5, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #13,681 of 87,018
It is a shame for sure that more people don't get to hear them. Stunning with M9 too.

Regards your survey question, one IEM for each of the main genres I listen to and then replace them as something better comes along. Great listening along the way and I enjoy researching and experiencing new gear.

I look forward to hearing X when we meet up!!! I'll no doubt ending up wanting it, so maybe that will be TOTL #3...

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #13,682 of 87,018
I look forward to hearing X when we meet up!!! I'll no doubt ending up wanting it, so maybe that will be TOTL #3...

For the type of music you listen to it's ideal.

It passes itself with other genres so you could have it as a one and only but EXT would be much better for genres like rock or metal for example.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #13,683 of 87,018
For the type of music you listen to it's ideal.

It passes itself with other genres so you could have it as a one and only but EXT would be much better for genres like rock or metal for example.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

Hmm, I don't listen to metal at all, and rock/indie etc very rarely with IEMs. I had the feeling, and maybe wrongly, that EXT would be a good fit for more melodic electronic music.

@Rockwell75 - I know we have a shared appreciation for D&B, how is the more liquid/atmospheric variety of D&B with EXT?

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #13,684 of 87,018
Feel free to share some of your beautiful creations in this thread.

06661FB6-77BE-4B19-A04A-656EACEF490B.jpeg

E000AB70-C807-4638-8B88-E0463286B27B.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #13,685 of 87,018
Hmm, I don't listen to metal at all, and rock/indie etc very rarely with IEMs. I had the feeling, and maybe wrongly, that EXT would be a good fit for more melodic electronic music.

@Rockwell75 - I know we have a shared appreciation for D&B, how is the more liquid/atmospheric variety of D&B with EXT?

Epic. Great on both XE6 and EXT. EXT nails the lushness I crave from that sort of music...but I can't deny the smile XE6 puts on my face with its more visceral nature.

Also don't sell your lineup short-- IE900 and Zen Pro are as TOTL as anything IMHO. You'll never see a $3K single DD but a well executed single DD has a charm and allure that even the most technical & TOTL hybrids can't match.

Well guess I am not shy, here is a sculpture.

Nice what kind of wood is that?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #13,686 of 87,018
Damn deciding between bird and aroma jewel is one of the toughest decisions ever.

DD bass for the jewel is desired but bird has GREAT bass even with BAs.

Bird Vocals: damn

Jewel Stock Cable: why....?

Jewel Mids > Bird

Treble: Both Great in Diff Ways

Edit: I think in the end I liked Jewel a LITTLE more. They are both definitely really REALLY good but a18t is still no slouch imo! Jewel had that DD bass that I just preferred, and I did not mind the slightly lesser treble on the Jewel.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #13,687 of 87,018
Survey question: Are you searching for "one IEM to rule them all" or do you imagine you'll always have a collection for different use cases. Personally I don't think the former is possible as narrowing everything down to one will always involve sacrifices of one sort or another.
I always prefer to have IEMs that can play well with all music in my library. I don’t segregate them based on my music genre.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #13,688 of 87,018
Damn deciding between bird and aroma jewel is one of the toughest decisions ever.

You can get a used bird fairly easily for like 60% the cost of the Jewel, which will be a lot harder to find on the used market. Grab a used bird and if it doesn't float your boat after a while sell it at a minimal loss and upgrade.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #13,689 of 87,018
Nice what kind of wood is that?
Maple, Pudauk, and Bowl is Burl Maple.

I love wood, so warm, these shapes are made using many layers of thin wood steamed and shaped over wire and plaster forms. The process takes months as each layer needs time to cure under vacuum.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #13,690 of 87,018
Well guess I am not shy, here is a sculpture.

06661FB6-77BE-4B19-A04A-656EACEF490B.jpeg
If you shrunk that down to ear size, it might be a great design for an IEM.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #13,691 of 87,018
I always prefer to have IEMs that can play well with all music in my library. I don’t segregate them based on my music genre.

100% I'm the same way. I enjoy all my IEMs with all my music..each of them brings different aspects into focus.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #13,693 of 87,018

Ah, you are picking me up the wrong way around. I'm not saying you can't use EXT for electronic, I was comparing X's ability to EXT's for genres such as rock or metal. Here EXT is more capable than X if that makes sense now.

Personally I don't use EXT for electronic but that is because I use X. No reason at all that you can't use it for that genre though and I'm sure it will be excellent.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #13,694 of 87,018
Epic. Great on both XE6 and EXT. EXT nails the lushness crave from that sort of music...but I can't deny the smile XE6 puts on my face with its visceral nature.

Also don't sell your lineup short-- IE900 and Zen Pro are as TOTL as anything IMHO. You'll never see a $3K single DD but a well executed single DD has a charm and allure that even the most technical & TOTL hybrids can't match.

Ok, great to know - MEXT does a fine job on D&B too btw... perfectly tuned for the genre.

Yes indeed, you are right re the various single DDs in my collection, and I can't see me ever parting with IE900 or ZEN PRO - two incredible IEMs.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #13,695 of 87,018
Ah, you are picking me up the wrong way around. I'm not saying you can't use EXT for electronic, I was comparing X's ability to EXT's for genres such as rock or metal. Here EXT is more capable than X if that makes sense now.

Personally I don't use EXT for electronic but that is because I use X. No reason at all that you can't use it for that genre though and I'm sure it will be excellent.

Ah yes, got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back