The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 18, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #10,126 of 87,611
The Mail Man arrived earlier than expected..
DE495642-DA90-4D76-B396-8FBAD41F6F9D.jpeg

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #10,127 of 87,611
How does it fare vs. EXT & Erlkonig for you?
For me, completely different IEM when compared with the EXT, serving different purposes. EXT is for short term excitement (IMO it has - I wouldn't say best because there are so many IEMs that are considered "best" for bass, and I haven't heard the FiR XE6 yet - the most enjoyable bass out there), and Phonix is like your 20 year long partner.

The Erlkonig LE (setting 2) sounds even more dense than the Phonix (which is already as dense as the Erlkonig OG) with a very heavy note weight, presumably due to the silver shell. It is slightly warmer and sounds a little bit more musical. Mids/Vocals are less forward compared to the Phonix. Phonix's bass is more controlled, has better extension and subbass rumble, and is 10 miles ahead in terms of treble. That being said, the Erlkonig LE's note weight and density is really something else.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #10,129 of 87,611
For me, completely different IEM when compared with the EXT, serving different purposes. EXT is for short term excitement and Phonix is like your 20 year long partner.

I see that comparison. Phonix is my Grace Kelly and EXT is my Salma Hayek...though in my case I'm going to throw caution to the wind and marry Salma.

iu-15.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.22.48 AM.png

I wouldn't say best because there are so many IEMs that are considered "best" for bass, and I haven't heard the FiR XE6 yet - the most enjoyable bass out there)

Yeah "best bass" is an over used cliched statement-- what I do feel confident in asserting based on my collective experience is that EXT has the best bass/mids combo out there...relative to my tastes & wants anyway.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #10,130 of 87,611
Really wanted to keep EXT but the fit kills it. These oval bumps on the nasals are to big for my ears. and my ear canals are not small.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #10,131 of 87,611
Yeah "best bass" is an over used cliched statement-- what I do feel confident in asserting based on my collective experience is that EXT has the best bass/mids combo out there...relative to my tastes & wants anyway.
I agree with that. The non-offensive musicality+DD bass&mids combination is unmatched.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #10,132 of 87,611
Really wanted to keep EXT but the fit kills it. These oval bumps on the nasals are to big for my ears. and my ear canals are not small.

Yes I could see that...I struggled with the fit for the same reason...I wonder if it's more difficult for people with larger ear canals. I found personally that Spiral Dots++ plus experimenting with inserting & positioning the IEMs got me to a place where I can consistently get a sustainably comfortable fit...and then it was game time for me....so much so that I've been having trouble going to bed and going to work the last few days because doing both means I have to take the EXT out of my ears...and I never want to. YMMV etc. and I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #10,134 of 87,611
I wonder if it's more difficult for people with larger ear canals.
Might be, since it is a relative small IEM but built like a CIEM with bumps on the inner shell. With large ears the bumps might sit in an unintended place which causes discomfort.

A smooth shell like the Phonix or U12t would pose no such problems I think.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #10,135 of 87,611
Might be, since it is a relative small IEM but built like a CIEM with bumps on the inner shell. With large ears the bumps might sit in an unintended place which causes discomfort.

A smooth shell like the Phonix or U12t would pose no such problems I think.

EXT's shell is translucent-ish and you can see the positioning of the HALC right about where that weird nub in the stem is.

Edit: I wonder if they'll ever release EXT as a custom...I'd be right tempted if they did.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #10,136 of 87,611
EXT's shell is translucent-ish and you can see the positioning of the HALC right about where that weird nub in the stem is.

Edit: I wonder if they'll ever release EXT as a custom...I'd be right tempted if they did.
It's off the table right now, because of both the acoustic needs of the DD and the placement of the e-stats. Amin also said CNC-ing differently-shaped faceplates for each customer would be impossible logistically, but that's basically a non-issue, since customers could just choose another from their plethora of faceplate options anyway.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #10,137 of 87,611
It's off the table right now, because of both the acoustic needs of the DD and the placement of the e-stats. Amin also said CNC-ing differently-shaped faceplates for each customer would be impossible logistically, but that's basically a non-issue, since customers could just choose another from their plethora of faceplate options anyway.

I wish they’d consider an EXT CIEM, I don’t care about the fancy aluminum shell or venting. Give me a traditional CIEM with a small pinhole vent (if possible) and I’d buy an EXT CIEM.

The way the EXT is tuned is so unique and is sort of a timeless type of sound, I’d feel comfortable getting it in CIEM knowing the sound is more than likely not going to be replicated or “one-up’d” if you will.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #10,138 of 87,611
I wish they’d consider an EXT CIEM, I don’t care about the fancy aluminum shell or venting. Give me a traditional CIEM with a small pinhole vent (if possible) and I’d buy an EXT CIEM.

The way the EXT is tuned is so unique and is sort of a timeless type of sound, I’d feel comfortable getting it in CIEM knowing the sound is more than likely not going to be replicated or “one-up’d” if you will.

BTW, how do you like the M9?

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #10,139 of 87,611
20220118_153638.jpg

Been a bit of a lurker recently but thought it was about time I chirped in...

New toy (s) day courtesy of Andrew. 1st off, a big thanks to him. Superb customer service and delivery, even for someone living across the pond!

Onto the goodies...

Indigo. Yes. These are the IEMs I have been looking for. It's very rare for something straight out of the box to float my boat but these do so without question.

I don't usually pay much attention to the material side of life but these are beautiful. Shells, cable, cable hardware, love it. I guess the shells are marmite for some but in the flesh they're very nice indeed. Most photos I've seen give the copper tinted alu (or whatever it is) a gold hue but its very much on the silver side of life which looks ace.

Fit is superb for me, super comfy shells and cable. Cable is nice and supple, non tangle, slightly waxy finish (?) rather then the hard plastic coated stuff.

Sound wise, whoa! EST! These are an absolute must for me now. Straight out of the box thoughts I generally ignore but MEST is new to me so had to have a listen. Treble sounds absolutely on point, meaning it sounds real! Crisp, non fatiguing, air...love it.

Bass also awesome. DD goodness and BC notable. Probably take a bit of brain burn in to get used to it but certainly ticks a box for me with rock. Full, deep, defined, linear.

Mids I'll pay heed to once they've had a few hours but vocals seem to have great texture, especially male when further down the register.

Like them a lot already with less than an hour on them. Honeymoon for sure but off to a good start.

M9. What a ballache trying to get the wooden box out! Love a massive air vacuum to make life easy... Nice feeling dap, like the finish, easy to hold compared to MAX. All the buttons feel purposeful, nicely laid out / sized. Case is better than I had expected and quite solid despite being a skeleton.

Took a while compared to MAX to scan library and for some reason loads of albums are split. I'll be sorting out tags anyway but it's a bit more all over the place than MAX so file system must be slightly different.

GUI is nice. Far better layout for library than Mango. Way easier to navigate.

SQ...with indigo MAX wins hands down for now. Really not fair to comment until its had some hours put on it but max is a notable step above (for me). M9 sounds softer, less textured, less weight lower down and not so lifelike up top. Layering / separation not on par. I'll stop there though as it's not a fair comparison considering it's had zero play time.

Form factor and interface m9 wins for me but it needs to come alive on SQ for me to retire MAX.

Interesting few days ahead. Indigo I'm probably a 9/10 on even though they're fresh in, need some proper tip rolling (although xelastics sound good anyway), soundstage I'd like a touch wider. M9 I'll give it some time and see where it leads me.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #10,140 of 87,611
BTW, how do you like the M9?

It is fantastic. I was really worried it was going to be “overpriced” due to AKM 4499 premium, which I’m sure that is factored in, but the sound is great and it actually exceeded my expectations. I hear it as warm neutral with great textures and dynamic ability. Great holographic staging ability without just making the sound overly large. I’m very impressed. Totally don’t care for this modular plug stuff though. I wish it was just 4.4mm and a 3.5mm but it’s entirely a first world problems thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back