The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #8,791 of 87,610
I have this document (attached) open in front of me to reference at the moment, shared earlier in this thread I think by @drftr - excellent resource.

1640865283654.png

Do you have the PDF? All I can see is a .jpg screen grab. Looks useful though!

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #8,793 of 87,610
Interesting! My understand of dynamics is the total frequency range and the movement or swings between two different points. I know there was an audio engineer (?) mentioned previously on this thread who began to compile a glossary of terms decades ago - is there something we could compile here in an effort to better standardise our definitions? Or does such a thing already exist here and I've just overlooked it?

I have this document (attached) open in front of me to reference at the moment, shared earlier in this thread I think by @drftr - excellent resource.

There’s indeed a few glossaries out there.

I settled on Moon Audio’s when creating Empeiros Audio (no longer active) after asking for permission and created a shortlist of the terms I found the most useful in order to describe sound.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #8,794 of 87,610
There’s indeed a few glossaries out there.

I settled on Moon Audio’s when creating Empeiros Audio (no longer active) after asking for permission and created a shortlist of the terms I found the most useful in order to describe sound.
There it is cached.

I'm going to make a copy for me as I don't believe I did and some of the stuff was useful (it was a time when I had more... time :p).

Edit: reading what I published, I actually did a mash-up of Moon Audio's glossary for the "Hard & Soft" part and used two other sources for the "Describing Sound" part. I'm going to re-use it for TVA I think.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #8,795 of 87,610
Thanks for your feedback :relaxed:

I won't add anything on Head-Fi's "review" as I leave actual reviews to better ones like @twister6. I merely do write-up more than anything else.

Dynamics are referred to as "The volume of a sound or musical note." Moon Audio has a very useful glossary but the way I perceive/describe it is how engaging the sound is.

Think boring versus exciting with both extremes being bad unless you specifically look for one or the other. Something too boring is, well, boring. Something too exciting can very quickly become fatiguing.

But this is my own read on it. YMMV.
Gotcha. The energy in the sound, and the relative loudness between notes - how contrasting different notes are. Like, for me, the SOR is more dynamic than Aladdin - which feels a more relaxed listen but with added crispness so as not to become too boring.

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #8,796 of 87,610
There it is cached.

I'm going to make a copy for me as I don't believe I did and some of the stuff was useful (it was a time when I had more... time :p).

Edit: reading what I published, I actually did a mash-up of Moon Audio's glossary for the "Hard & Soft" part and used two other sources for the "Describing Sound" part. I'm going to re-use it for TVA I think.

Excellent, bookmarked and thank you! I'm finding I thoroughly enjoy reading these.

Are there any good books actually that cover these topics and more in terms of audio?

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #8,797 of 87,610
Excellent, bookmarked and thank you! I'm finding I thoroughly enjoy reading these.

Are there any good books actually that cover these topics and more in terms of audio?
I have always heard Dynamics referred to as Macro Dynamics and Micro Dynamics. That said another word that has been explained to me as part of clarification, was Transients as they refer to the Sound Reproduction Dynamics.

Dynamics to me is also a differentiator for the various sources of the amplification as well as the transducers, and I think this has a lot to do with the synergy we prefer with a transducer set. Alas there are many factors at play here.

Macro dynamics refers to the song as a whole and specifically the transitions from quiet to thunderous.

Micro dynamics refers to the transients which are short in duration and can be where we would hear for example punch, when there is a quick change in volume or a quick change in frequencies. Drums and percussion are the trickiest part of the music for the sound engineer to optimize the micro dynamics.

Transients is defined simply as lasting only for a short time.

In reading the couple posts here about Dynamics they are all different ways to say basically the same.

I am no expert and if I am not understanding this correctly I will not be offended if any of you know better.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #8,798 of 87,610
I have always heard Dynamics referred to as Macro Dynamics and Micro Dynamics. That said another word that has been explained to me as part of clarification, was Transients as they refer to the Sound Reproduction Dynamics.

Dynamics to me is also a differentiator for the various sources of the amplification as well as the transducers, and I think this has a lot to do with the synergy we prefer with a transducer set. Alas there are many factors at play here.

Macro dynamics refers to the song as a whole and specifically the transitions from quiet to thunderous.

Micro dynamics refers to the transients which are short in duration and can be where we would hear for example punch, when there is a quick change in volume or a quick change in frequencies. Drums and percussion are the trickiest part of the music for the sound engineer to optimize the micro dynamics.

In reading the couple posts here about Dynamics they are all different ways to say basically the same.

I am no expert and if I am not understanding this correctly I will not be offended if any of you know better.

Echoes my understanding too, except I typically refer to micro dynamics as transients.

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #8,799 of 87,610

I added the vocabulary primer I compiled on TVA, here it is (also linked from the home page). It's not meant to be exhaustive, quite the contrary, it's a curated list, mainly for yours truly.

I certainly won't correct you. The sources I used are linked but if anyone here would like to go deeper down the rabbit hole the main reference seems to be Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary J. Gordon Holt, July, 1993 which is the one linked a few posts above.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #8,800 of 87,610
Shanling M9
tempImageL33den.png
tempImageL33den.png
tempImageXhNVfB.png
tempImageL33den.png

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #8,801 of 87,610
Can't fix it!!

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #8,802 of 87,610

If I were to make it as succinct and visual as possible, dynamics to me refer to how far and how cleanly a note can leap off of its background. When a note is capable of jumping out at you with power and slam, then the entire chain (from source, to transducer, to track) is exhibiting strong dynamics. It's achieved both tonally and technically. A contrast-y tonality - v-shapes, w-shapes - have an inherent advantage because of how explosive and punchy those FRs tend to sound. Technically, a quick, clean transient attack and a crisp, black background to leap off of both contribute towards dynamics too. Then, the quality that tops it all off would be control; being able to go quiet when the track demands, and only being dynamic or explosive when appropriate. So, you really feel it when the latter occurs.

Micro-dynamics to me refer to how much tinier, individual details can pop within the ensemble. So, when you're listening to an orchestra, and the IEM is capable of making the little chimes or ride hits in the background pop and catch your ear, then the IEM has strong micro-dynamics. The opposite would be where those little details blend into the background and go unnoticed. Whereas, macro-dynamics is a measure of how powerful, impactful and moving the soundscape as a whole can be. When I talk about, say, the Jolene having this big, arena-sized, PA-system-like sound, that would be what I'm referring to. An IEM with great macro-dynamics should sound almost "empty" if the track itself is being quiet, then adaptably ramp up, fill up and roar when the track reaches its climax. Those are dynamics in a nutshell to me.

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #8,803 of 87,610
tempImageeJxBPL.png
tempImageE2aw61.png

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #8,804 of 87,610
M6 Pro 21, M8 and M9. You know you have been screwed when whatever it is comes in a nice wooden box.

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #8,805 of 87,610
If I were to make it as succinct and visual as possible, dynamics to me refer to how far and how cleanly a note can leap off of its background. When a note is capable of jumping out at you with power and slam, then the entire chain (from source, to transducer, to track) is exhibiting strong dynamics. It's achieved both tonally and technically. A contrast-y tonality - v-shapes, w-shapes - have an inherent advantage because of how explosive and punchy those FRs tend to sound. Technically, a quick, clean transient attack and a crisp, black background to leap off of both contribute towards dynamics too. Then, the quality that tops it all off would be control; being able to go quiet when the track demands, and only being dynamic or explosive when appropriate. So, you really feel it when the latter occurs.

Micro-dynamics to me refer to how much tinier, individual details can pop within the ensemble. So, when you're listening to an orchestra, and the IEM is capable of making the little chimes or ride hits in the background pop and catch your ear, then the IEM has strong micro-dynamics. The opposite would be where those little details blend into the background and go unnoticed. Whereas, macro-dynamics is a measure of how powerful, impactful and moving the soundscape as a whole can be. When I talk about, say, the Jolene having this big, arena-sized, PA-system-like sound, that would be what I'm referring to. An IEM with great macro-dynamics should sound almost "empty" if the track itself is being quiet, then adaptably ramp up, fill up and roar when the track reaches its climax. Those are dynamics in a nutshell to me.
Well, I think we found who needs to write the Head-Fi's official glossary :wink: :p

Very clear and enlightening, kudos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back