The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #7,816 of 87,504
Yeah I intend to buy also but I'll wait till Amazon have them back in stock for absolute peace of mind. Showing January 6th for Amazon UK and I'm relatively OK waiting till then 😬
I float in and out of here but couldnt help finding this part of the discussion. When you find the right cable and tips, these Timeless are astounding. For me it's been a 5N Silver Cable and wide bore Azla Sednas & Tennmak Whirlwinds which allow all the low end to come through unrestricted and unbloated with what I think is remarkable detail and clarity up top connected by fluid natural mids that I've only ever heard in a planar. I've had pretty much every iteration of IMRs planars, excepting the EDP+ and these $200 babies as far as I'm concrned blow them away. I love these things. Really, cant take them out I just keep coming back to them. Any yes, we've heard a few QC issues reported but relative to the number of units that have gone out (I dont know how many - but with Drop, Crin, BGGA, and all the traffic on both the 7hz and Disovery threads - it's safe to assume thousands) I'd say the QC issues have been few and far between. I've had 2 sets of Nobles that had to be exchanged because of QC issues, but I would call that my random bad luck and not cast dispersion over the entire brand or line. I think the 7Hz Timeless is honestly the steal of the decade. Give em a good 150 hours of run in and I think most listeners will be fairly amazed at what $200 can do.

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #7,817 of 87,504
... oh and @Rockwell75 & @tgx78 , you guys up for a little Vancouver Rendezvous?

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #7,819 of 87,504

This through Timeless + SR25ii brought tears to my eyes.

There are currently ten 4.4 Timeless at Amazon…when it gets down to 2-3 I’ll probably order a second one.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #7,821 of 87,504
@drftr now that I sit here listening to them I’d say there’s an even-money shot you could be totally happy with the Timeless. Before blind buying something for $2K you owe it to yourself to try one.
After Linsoul cancelled my order I'm trying to order through the Amazon webshop of HifiGo BUT I can ship anywhere in Mexico EXCEPT to Morelia. The reason is they ARE allowed to ship to Michoacan state but ONLY to what they have as its capital city: Michoacan, which doesn't EXIST. So I'm pushing them to change this so that I can finally reorder.

I'm also working on making a U12t deal happen but that runs into VAT problems yet again, so I'm desperately trying to find someone crossing the border soon and take them with them.

Just hoping none of these take too long because I'll be leaving Mexico in a few weeks and I don't want to end up in a situation I've been in before...

Totally needless to say (but doing it anyway) I'm sooooo extremely thankful for everyone's guidance and well meant help!!!

drftr

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #7,822 of 87,504
Some new goodies came in today! The Cayin RU6 and the Penon Fan. I've only had a couple of hours for a short session with the Penon Fan (paired with RU6) so I thought I could give some impressions on those. This is my first Penon experience and I'm also realizing that this is my first single DD IEM. I've either had hybrids (and tribrids) or all BA sets so this is another fun first for me. I think the star of the show is the tuning. They really thread the needle with a lot of choices made here and somehow manage to strike a very pleasing middle ground. I am very far from an expert reviewer but hopefully these impressions are of interest to some.

Right off the bat it's clear that these are going for a fun yet surprisingly versatile sound. There's a slight warmth that envelops the entirety of the FR top to bottom. The bass is tuned with a light sub-bass tilt. Bass is certainly emphasized over the midrange, although I don't get the impression that there's too much bleed. I'd describe the bass texture as being a little wooly and soft overall with relatively slow transients/decay. Not as slow (or as anywhere near as elevated) as some DD-bass heavy hitters like the Bravado Mk2.

The mids are slightly recessed but not by much. The graph is very deceptive here actually, you'd think that they'd be completely recessed based on that alone. They are tuned in what I'd describe as a warm-leaning neutral tuning---definitely more neutral than not but still with a warmth surrounding the vocals. I assume the single DD timbre is part of what helps make these mids more inviting than what the graph suggests. The upper mids are quite tame and non-fatiguing as well. I definitely need more of these single DDs in my life is part of what I'm learning!

The treble region is interesting. The upper treble is clearly rolled off which is part of what makes this a warm set (in addition to the bass bump). The roll-off is very tastefully pulled off but trebleheads need not apply. That being said, lower/mid treble can get spicy here and there. I'm not particularly sensitive to these regions but I figured it's worth mentioning. In general I enjoy the laid-back approach to the treble.

As far as intangibles, I think the imaging, soundstage, detail and resolution are all quite good. Left to right staging is quite wide, height is alright, but depth is somewhat shallow. My main issue here is that I don't really have other points of comparison at this price point so I can't claim something is "above average." All I know is that this exceeds my expectations for 60 bucks haha.

In summary, I am quite impressed by these. They are a sensational value proposition! While there are certainly things to nitpick when we zoom into a given part of the FR, I think that from a birds eye view these are outstanding. There's a certain genius to the tuning that manages to hide whatever flaws the set might have. All in all, almost everything I throw on sounds good on them. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of the "Penon Tuning Magic" that I've heard about if these are any indication of what's to come.

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #7,823 of 87,504
You are always invited @holsen
We are thinking Thursday afternoon!
Awesome, I just had a buddy bail on a thursday cocktail commitment because he's now Island bound. Thursday works!

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #7,824 of 87,504
Some new goodies came in today! The Cayin RU6 and the Penon Fan. I've only had a couple of hours for a short session with the Penon Fan (paired with RU6) so I thought I could give some impressions on those. This is my first Penon experience and I'm also realizing that this is my first single DD IEM. I've either had hybrids (and tribrids) or all BA sets so this is another fun first for me. I think the star of the show is the tuning. They really thread the needle with a lot of choices made here and somehow manage to strike a very pleasing middle ground. I am very far from an expert reviewer but hopefully these impressions are of interest to some.

Right off the bat it's clear that these are going for a fun yet surprisingly versatile sound. There's a slight warmth that envelops the entirety of the FR top to bottom. The bass is tuned with a light sub-bass tilt. Bass is certainly emphasized over the midrange, although I don't get the impression that there's too much bleed. I'd describe the bass texture as being a little wooly and soft overall with relatively slow transients/decay. Not as slow (or as anywhere near as elevated) as some DD-bass heavy hitters like the Bravado Mk2.

The mids are slightly recessed but not by much. The graph is very deceptive here actually, you'd think that they'd be completely recessed based on that alone. They are tuned in what I'd describe as a warm-leaning neutral tuning---definitely more neutral than not but still with a warmth surrounding the vocals. I assume the single DD timbre is part of what helps make these mids more inviting than what the graph suggests. The upper mids are quite tame and non-fatiguing as well. I definitely need more of these single DDs in my life is part of what I'm learning!

The treble region is interesting. The upper treble is clearly rolled off which is part of what makes this a warm set (in addition to the bass bump). The roll-off is very tastefully pulled off but trebleheads need not apply. That being said, lower/mid treble can get spicy here and there. I'm not particularly sensitive to these regions but I figured it's worth mentioning. In general I enjoy the laid-back approach to the treble.

As far as intangibles, I think the imaging, soundstage, detail and resolution are all quite good. Left to right staging is quite wide, height is alright, but depth is somewhat shallow. My main issue here is that I don't really have other points of comparison at this price point so I can't claim something is "above average." All I know is that this exceeds my expectations for 60 bucks haha.

In summary, I am quite impressed by these. They are a sensational value proposition! While there are certainly things to nitpick when we zoom into a given part of the FR, I think that from a birds eye view these are outstanding. There's a certain genius to the tuning that manages to hide whatever flaws the set might have. All in all, almost everything I throw on sounds good on them. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of the "Penon Tuning Magic" that I've heard about if these are any indication of what's to come.
What tips do you use with penon fan ? Cant use mine because all the stock tips are make strong vacuum suction. tried some of 3rd party but still getting stong vacuum suction..

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #7,825 of 87,504
What tips do you use with penon fan ? Cant use mine because all the stock tips are make strong vacuum suction. tried some of 3rd party but still getting stong vacuum suction..
I have Spinfit CP100s I think. It's hard to tell because I have a big container with a ton of tips lol

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #7,828 of 87,504
I have Spinfit CP100s I think. It's hard to tell because I have a big container with a ton of tips lol
okay got some of spinfit tips.. will try later...

You could try foam tips perhaps?

drftr
i never use foam tips.. because it lowered bass and taming a little bit treble.. but i can try it again maybe can use with penon fan.. got some that come with 64audio iem...

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #7,829 of 87,504
okay got some of spinfit tips.. will try later...

i never use foam tips.. because it lowered bass and taming a little bit treble.. but i can try it again maybe can use with penon fan.. got some that come with 64audio iem...
Give the Tennmak Strong Foam a try. $8 for 6 pair. They're a high density silicone foam that don't muddy the bass or clip the highs. They wear like iron, dont rip or tear like comply and genuinely sound great while increasing the isolation. For $8 including shipping they're worth the roll of the dice. Everyone I've shared them with has been pretty impressed with them. Tennmak Slow Rebound Memory Foam

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #7,830 of 87,504
IMG-7161.jpg

Oh, this just came in...

First IEM in my collection that simultaneously satisfies my closet basshead and treblehead tendency.

set it up with @Precogvision 's parametric equalizer values and voila it is fulfilling my timbrehead tendency as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back