The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #5,806 of 84,868
As much as I like Audiolevel's reviews, I have never ever seen a IEM review that wasn't promising the creme of the crop. Could be that he only reviews things he really believes in, but before starting you already know the conclusion. I mostly watch them for practical things and try to pick up the things that are not utterly brilliant as that may translate as crap. Absolutely love his enthusiasm!!

Edit: By the way, seeing so many Traillii's in the classifieds would make one think it's utter trash as well, especially at the prices they're offered for. When I started looking into the Bird I thought "Wow! Are they really THAT good that so many people want to get rid of them at 50-60% discounts within just a few months?". So yeah, you never know the real reason.

drftr
I don't think the classifieds are fully reflective of the demand for a given IEM. For the Traillii, it was only meant to sell around 10 units per month. Given the hype on head fi, just the buyers here impacted demand by a lot. So, when the hype was done, there was a tremendous over supply and not a new set of demand. And, Oriolus increased, the price, thereby lowering demand even more. Too much supply and low demand = big market price drop.

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #5,807 of 84,868
Edit: By the way, seeing so many Traillii's in the classifieds would make one think it's utter trash as well, especially at the prices they're offered for. When I started looking into the Bird I thought "Wow! Are they really THAT good that so many people want to get rid of them at 50-60% discounts within just a few months?". So yeah, you never know the real reason.

drftr
I have been thinking lately that a Traillii at 50-60% off is still a lot of cash. I think a decent number of people like to keep trading for something new and that may be the driving force. The number of birds on the classifieds I believe is more indicative of that wanderlust than a default in the drivers.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #5,808 of 84,868
I have been thinking lately that a Traillii at 50-60% off is still a lot of cash. I think a decent number of people like to keep trading for something new and that may be the driving force. The number of birds on the classifieds I believe is more indicative of that wonder lust than a default in the drivers.
I agree, but isn't a 3 grand haircut just to try something new a bit much? But if they can afford it, all the better for many of us.

The Traillii is possibly in a bit of a difficult position at the current price point because that $6,600 includes a $2,200 cable while many audiophiles already HAVE a bunch of fantastic and expensive cables. Even more, they keep upgrading cables with the very best possible so they know they will be spending that $2,200 while only enjoying it for a few months as that is when they will buy an even better cable. If I read the PW Audio thread then birders are desperate to lay their hands on their latest and greatest and that won't change any time soon. I think at the quality level of the Traillii it makes much more sense to offer it without a cable, or perhaps add that as an option. And still at that $4,400 it would have extremely decent competition that even comes with a very good cable included. I for one wouldn't be surprised if the complete Traillii package would be repriced at 5 grand to fend off competitors.

drftr

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #5,809 of 84,868
72DC6415-5113-4A9E-AAB7-1F24F93480F3.jpeg
My first plane ride in a long time and it’s very bittersweet! Leaving my home of 15years, San Francisco to go be with my family for awhile.
I hope to come back but I am happy the sky was clear today so I could snap this photo of my beloved city for one last “see ya later”
76B8DE6F-AC46-425D-893B-6D718BEB0818.jpeg
First time also listening to my little set up here on an airplane. Listening with my 7hz timeless planar iems that literally arrived yesterday! Just in time before I had to leave today. I will say for $200 these iems are an insane price to performance! A gold standard maybe. It’s so so good with the above album! And getting a decent isolation even able to listen on the plane with little outside noise. Def the best purchase I’ve made under 300$ in a very long time!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #5,810 of 84,868

My first plane ride in a long time and it’s very bittersweet! Leaving my home of 15years, San Francisco to go be with my family for awhile.
I hope to come back but I am happy the sky was clear today so I could snap this photo of my beloved city for one last “see ya later”

First time also listening to my little set up here on an airplane. Listening with my 7hz timeless planar iems that literally arrived yesterday! Just in time before I had to leave today. I will say for $200 these iems are an insane price to performance! A gold standard maybe. It’s so so good with the above album! And getting a decent isolation even able to listen on the plan with little outside noise. Def the best purchase I’ve made under 300$ in a very long time!
Safe travels.
I will be getting Timeless soon, the impressions aren't consistent between people who have it ,but this got me excited for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #5,811 of 84,868
I haven’t heard the Monarch but I owned the Clairvoyance, it didn’t do much for at all. It sounded thin and overall quite boring for me and my library.

Had the Oracle briefly, and my impression echoes yours on the Clairvoyance. Bass was ok, but mids sounded pretty thin with vocals lacking body. Treble was nicely extended, but soundstage was really small and closed in. Just didn't do anything for me at all.

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #5,812 of 84,868
Had the Oracle briefly, and my impression echoes yours on the Clairvoyance. Bass was ok, but mids sounded pretty thin with vocals lacking body. Treble was nicely extended, but soundstage was really small and closed in. Just didn't do anything for me at all.
Yeah, it was siad to have the perfect tonality by some prominent reviewers.
I can see that for someone who mainly listens to jazz maybe ،other than than ,not even close for me.

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #5,817 of 84,868
@Rockwell75 I took delivery of a set of Monarch MKII last Thursday. I've been crazy busy. I haven't had them in my ears a ton, but a good sign, for me, is that I didn't instantly box them up for a return to headphones.com after an initial listen over this past weekend (I have literally done that before).

I am someone who **tends** to have a preference for laid-back upper mids, and also desire for well extended treble and tactile, textured bass with sub bass rumble when called for. I respectfully take under advisement @Precogvision 's take on them, except I've never heard the OG Monarchs, and not sure I entirely agree with his critical read on the bass response (I have not found it to be so lacking as him, but IMO, clearly takes a back seat to my IE 900, and not only in quantity). I am somewhat surprised the 5K bump that is graphed hasn't been a turn off for me. I personally like the treble response so far.

Soundstage-wise...yeah, nothing exceptional here. I'd call it "adequate" which I know is meaningless for others.

It's a pretty resolving set; nice detail retrieval all-around; exceptional clarity; liking it a lot with all the jazz I've pumped through it.

I listen probably 40% electronic (ambient/house/a little bit of trance); 40% jazz (from bop to contemporary); other 20% is mostly alternative/progressive rock, very little pop music for me. Methinks, as always, music library matters a lot.

I am trying my best to not drop a ridiculous amount (for me) on a cable, but I'm having thoughts, hahahaha!

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #5,818 of 84,868
@Rockwell75 I took delivery of a set of Monarch MKII last Thursday. I've been crazy busy. I haven't had them in my ears a ton, but a good sign, for me, is that I didn't instantly box them up for a return to headphones.com after an initial listen over this past weekend (I have literally done that before).

I am someone who **tends** to have a preference for laid-back upper mids, and also desire for well extended treble and tactile, textured bass with sub bass rumble when called for. I respectfully take under advisement @Precogvision 's take on them, except I've never heard the OG Monarchs, and not sure I entirely agree with his critical read on the bass response (I have not found it to be so lacking as him, but IMO, clearly takes a back seat to my IE 900, and not only in quantity). I am somewhat surprised the 5K bump that is graphed hasn't been a turn off for me. I personally like the treble response so far.

Soundstage-wise...yeah, nothing exceptional here. I'd call it "adequate" which I know is meaningless for others.

It's a pretty resolving set; nice detail retrieval all-around; exceptional clarity; liking it a lot with all the jazz I've pumped through it.

I listen probably 40% electronic (ambient/house/a little bit of trance); 40% jazz (from bop to contemporary); other 20% is mostly alternative/progressive rock, very little pop music for me. Methinks, as always, music library matters a lot.

I am trying my best to not drop a ridiculous amount (for me) on a cable, but I'm having thoughts, hahahaha!
I am at heart a bass head, so bass quality means a lot. It's why some great BA bass IEMs get high marks from me, but don't get a lot of listening time. I am hoping the mkii is competitive with Odin, EVO, IE900, Z1R for bass quality. If it's close, it is going to be great for me.

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #5,819 of 84,868
@Rockwell75 I took delivery of a set of Monarch MKII last Thursday. I've been crazy busy. I haven't had them in my ears a ton, but a good sign, for me, is that I didn't instantly box them up for a return to headphones.com after an initial listen over this past weekend (I have literally done that before). I am someone who **tends** to have a preference for laid-back upper mids, and also desire for well extended treble and tactile, textured bass with sub bass rumble when called for.
Looks like you're describing Penon Volt, Monarch mk2 is in the same vein then?

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #5,820 of 84,868

First time also listening to my little set up here on an airplane. Listening with my 7hz timeless planar iems that literally arrived yesterday! Just in time before I had to leave today. I will say for $200 these iems are an insane price to performance! A gold standard maybe. It’s so so good with the above album! And getting a decent isolation even able to listen on the plane with little outside noise. Def the best purchase I’ve made under 300$ in a very long time!

Beautiful & safe travels!

In other news I received the Zen Pro:

C4AC4EF0-4654-46F3-BBD1-34B7384C6735.JPEG

Got the Zen Pro in and had a chance to get some quick impressions. In short-- they are excellent. Natural, bodied, balanced, impeccably technical & detailed, non-fatiguing, beautiful timbre-- they're probably just on the "technical over emotive" side of the spectrum but not enough for me to feel anything is lacking. Imaging is top tier...staging is not massive but everything is very well placed. Mids are even-keeled & clear, bass is excellent..all in all the balance across the spectrum is wonderful. Very satisfied with this purchase and very happy it comes with one of Dunu's modular cable so I could just throw a 4.4 connector on it. All cables should come like this. Will compare it to Isa, which I also received today, a bit later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back