The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 29, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #5,326 of 87,356
Me thinks Jeff has created a Head-Fi account for everyone in his town to win a bet! 🙀

drftr

The massive numbers are people without HF accounts.

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #5,327 of 87,356
The massive numbers are people without HF accounts.
But the 30-something members are actively subscribed to the thread, correct? If true, then what is the group that does have a HF account, and is passively watching the thread instead of actively? I mean, at any given moment there must be way more HF members reading some thread than the current 31, as most of that number seem to be regulars. And with a zillion threads on HF it seems unlikely they're all after cooled water.

drftr

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #5,328 of 87,356
1885FBC3-A4F6-4186-8147-D452312C9CCC.JPEG

Empire Ears Odin - initial impressions.

For some reason I was expecting these to be bass cannons-- they are not that at all. In fact, the excellent quality of bass aside I can't imagine an IEM more different than the Legend X. The first thing that jumps out at you with Odin is the massive amount of detail & clarity you're presented with-- the sound the Odin puts forward is literally swimming in detail...you hear everything: every nuance, every detail...in live sets I'm half expecting to be able to pick up threads of a conversation people are having in the audience. Staging is deep and imaging is spectacular.

Mids are forward and clear... too forward a times but I'll get to that later. Timbre of the mid-range is decent-- it doesn't give its BA-ness away too glaringly like the mids on the Oriolus Reborn (the only other IEM with BA mids I've heard recently)...but I do miss the richness and natural bodied textures of the mids on the Duo when I jump over to Odin.

In terms of the bass...sub-bass is truly incredible and up there with the best I've ever heard. Fathomlessly deep, nuanced, well textured...never really dominating the scene but always present just lurking below the surface with thunderous rumbling potential.

Ultimately the Odin puts forward a detail oriented signature that, for me, is more suited to analysis than emotional connection. The level of detail is such that I often find myself forgetting the forest for the trees so to speak-- it's not really balanced in the sense that I find myself often getting lost in the details rather than taking in the soundscape as a whole. It's an utterly enthralling listening experience though-- intellectually stimulating if not the most emotionally engaging. Like being sucked into a close knit logical argument more than having your soul stirred in reverie. Subjectively, while I admire what the Odin does well-- I'm in awe of it actually-- ultimately it's not really an IEM whose signature is in line with my personal preferences. For sh1ts and giggles I went and grabbed some squiggs of 3 notable IEMs of the past year for me:

graph-15.png

Above are basically my 3 favorite IEMs right now and, while all 3 those IEMs are massively different it's clear that there's a very definite bass to lower mids type FR I am drawn to. Note the elevated sub-bass that stays into the mid-bass before it tapers off with the whole curve being "concave up" and the mid-bass being level or close to level with the upper mids and lower treble for the most part.

Now check out this graph of the Odin vs. Duo:

graph-12.png

Note in the above the sharper drop into the mid-bass and lower mids and the supremely boosted upper mids. Looking at the graph going in I thought the upper mids would be wince-inducing...they are not...but in extended listening sessions I often find them a little too energetic at times and with my library this means I am hitting skip more than I would like. Compounding this is the diminished lower mid/mid-bass presence which to my ears means the sound at times lacks a body, punch and warmth that I like. I often place IEMs on two different axes-- one ranging from analytic to musical, and the other ranging from Eastern (upper mids & sub-bass) to western (lower mids & mid-bass). My preference is strongly in the "Western" and "musical" directions and the Odin is imho heavily skewed in the analytic & Eastern directions so while I can say that it is undeniably a great IEM and I have no problem understanding all the praise it has gotten ultimately I have doubts it would suit me in the long term. As with all things in this hobby, YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #5,329 of 87,356
1885FBC3-A4F6-4186-8147-D452312C9CCC.JPEG

Empire Ears Odin - initial impressions.

For some reason I was expecting these to be bass cannons-- they are not that at all. In fact, the excellent quality of bass aside I can't imagine an IEM more different than the Legend X. The first thing that jumps out at you with Odin is the massive amount of detail & clarity you're presented with-- the sound the Odin puts forward is literally swimming in detail...you hear everything: every nuance, every detail...in live sets I'm half expecting to be able to pick up threads of a conversation people are having in the audience. Staging is deep and imaging is spectacular.

Mids are forward and clear... too forward a times but I'll get to that later. Timbre of the mid-range is decent-- it doesn't give its BA-ness away too glaringly like the mids on the Oriolus Reborn (the only other IEM with BA mids I've heard recently)...but I do miss the richness and natural bodied textures of the mids on the Duo when I jump over to Odin.

In terms of the bass...sub-bass is truly incredible and up there with the best I've ever heard. Fathomlessly deep, nuanced, well textured...never really dominating the scene but always present just lurking below the surface with thunderous rumbling potential.

Ultimately the Odin puts forward a detail oriented signature that, for me, is more suited to analysis than emotional connection. The level of detail is such that I often find myself forgetting the forest for the trees so to speak-- it's not really balanced in the sense that I find myself often getting lost in the details rather than taking in the soundscape as a whole. It's an utterly enthralling listening experience though-- intellectually stimulating if not the most emotionally engaging. Like being sucked into a close knit logical argument more than having your soul stirred in reverie. Subjectively, while I admire what the Odin does well-- I'm in awe of it actually-- ultimately it's not really an IEM whose signature is in line with my personal preferences. For sh1ts and giggles I went and grabbed some squiggs of 3 notable IEMs of the past year for me:

graph-15.png

Above are basically my 3 favorite IEMs right now and, while all 3 those IEMs are massively different it's clear that there's a very definite bass to lower mids type FR I am drawn to. Note the elevated sub-bass that stays into the mid-bass before it tapers off with the whole curve being "concave up" and the mid-bass being level or close to level with the upper mids and lower treble for the most part.

Now check out this graph of the Odin vs. Duo:

graph-12.png

Note in the above the sharper drop into the mid-bass and lower mids and the supremely boosted upper mids. Looking at the graph going in I thought the upper mids would be wince-inducing...they are not...but in extended listening sessions I often find them a little too energetic at times and with my library this means I am hitting skip more than I would like. Compounding this is the diminished lower mid/mid-bass presence which to my ears means the sound at times lacks a body, punch and warmth that I like. I often place IEMs on two different axes-- one ranging from analytic to musical, and the other ranging from Eastern (upper mids & sub-bass) to western (lower mids & mid-bass). My preference is strongly in the "Western" and "musical" directions and the Odin is imho heavily skewed in the analytic & Eastern directions so while I can say that it is undeniably a great IEM and I have no problem understanding all the praise it has gotten ultimately I have doubts it would suit me in the long term. As with all things in this hobby, YMMV and all that.
Awesome write-up and observation Rock!
Since Odin doesn’t have the lower mid-range warmth and fullness (or coloration, depending on your point of view) unlike your current top 3, I expected this tuning wasn't for you. Although quite extended and well defined in the bottom octaves, Odin definitely doesn’t do “slam” the way mid-bass boosted IEMs do. On acoustic instruments that play down into the low bass, such as contrabass, timpani, piano, organ, contrabassoon, it is nigh incomparably realistic. On Fender bass, synth, rock drum set, or any instrument that is as much about power and impact as it is about pitch, timbre, and duration, the thrill, though not gone, is not there the way it is with, oh, big Penon Volt or Z1R.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #5,330 of 87,356
Since Odin doesn’t have the lower mid-range warmth and fullness (or coloration, depending on your point of view) unlike your current top 3, I expected this tuning wasn't for you. Although quite extended and well defined in the bottom octaves, Odin definitely doesn’t do “slam” the way mid-bass boosted IEMs do. On acoustic instruments that play down into the low bass, such as contrabass, timpani, piano, organ, contrabassoon, it is nigh incomparably realistic. On Fender bass, synth, rock drum set, or any instrument that is as much about power and impact as it is about pitch, timbre, and duration, the thrill, though not gone, is not there the way it is with, oh, big Penon Volt or Z1R.
This is where I feel EVO flips the script on Odin and why it's a co-flagship...it brings back all that slam, warmth and energy to the bass, yet retains alot of the detail and energy further up the FR but in a more balanced way. I haven't heard Odin myself, but have read enough impressions now to know where it sits, and @Rockwell75's deft analysis just reinforces it for me.

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #5,331 of 87,356
This is where I feel EVO flips the script on Odin and why it's a co-flagship...it brings back all that slam, warmth and energy to the bass, yet retains alot of the detail and energy further up the FR but in a more balanced way. I haven't heard Odin myself, but have read enough impressions now to know where it sits, and @Rockwell75's deft analysis just reinforces it for me.
Due to more mid/upper treble presence on Odin. Upper mids come out a touch sharper. This is what gives Odin the edge on mids detail, but at the same time might become too harsh for others.
I personally love upper mid presence in iems so they both are lovely iem. But their purpose is quite the opposite.

Though what i noticed, or should i say preferred, vocals on EVO while forward were most natural sounding with no added zing that you get with treble heavy iems. Which in my mind are never there when you hear someone sing live.(unless you count me in after 5 pints)
But im really not vocals expert so might aswell just ignore it lol.
Odin on the other hand has advantage on some string instruments and piano. Giving edge in definition of these instruments.

They both have coloured upper mids, if i went by general consensus though. And i agree on Odins part. But with EVO... Mids feel more balanced due to bass tuning.

This is what i took from several Odin auditions with my own gear, tips music. Last ones were A/B with EVO too

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #5,334 of 87,356

Thanks man I'm super grateful for the opportunity to audition.

On acoustic instruments that play down into the low bass, such as contrabass, timpani, piano, organ, contrabassoon, it is nigh incomparably realistic.

It's funny how we all approach things differently. There aren't a lot of acoustic instruments in much of what I listen to so instrumental realism, while the Holy Grail for many, is not something I'm tremendously focused on. I'd be keen to hear @SBranson's take on these.

Wait till you hear EXT…

Yeah all signs are pointing to EXT being the next major thing I should be looking at.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #5,335 of 87,356
It's tuning has always been somewhat divisive

Honestly that's true of many of the best IEMs. The Jupiter was long gone from the scene by the time I turned up and I don't think I've ever read detailed impressions of it. Congrats on your purchase.

In other news my Zen Pro just shipped :D. Here's hoping that shipping issues and other nonsense doesn't impact Amazon's prediction that I should have it by the end of the week.

Edit: @Mehran eagerly awaiting your IE900 impressions :D

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #5,337 of 87,356
Out of work today as I was in hospital for a checkup, sedatives still have me in a pleasant haze! A health issue that could have finished me off about 16 months ago but I'm finally recovering from... I blame that on my 'life is short' philosophy that nudges me before every spend! Excuse wearing thin now...

Anyway, listening to the below and Traillii is fantastic for more subdued dub techno like this.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #5,338 of 87,356
My Dark Sky has shipped too, I might even have it by tomorrow... The as always super fast service from Musicteck.

n6ii-Ti and Athena also about to ship so they will possibly land before the weekend.

Currently eyeing up: Kato, Timeless, Serial, FD7 and ZEN PRO 🤪

I'll be curious about your impressions (especially build & materials quality) of the Athena. I still have a 6-braid one in my cart at Satin's site (no longer even listed at Musicteck)

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #5,339 of 87,356
My Dark Sky has shipped too, I might even have it by tomorrow... The as always super fast service from Musicteck.

n6ii-Ti and Athena also about to ship so they will possibly land before the weekend.

Currently eyeing up: Kato, Timeless, Serial, FD7 and ZEN PRO 🤪

Screenshot_20211130-141857_Samsung Internet.jpg
Your transformation to IEM Addict is complete. Congrats. And get well soon! 🙏🏻

PS. Next comes selling everything off and keeping just one or two eye-wateringly-expensive IEMs because, you know, been there, done that, got the best, done with the rest. 😎

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #5,340 of 87,356
After a nearly 3 months wait I received my (matte steel) Kato yesterday. It's very nice OOTB, maybe a bit bright but it didn't bother me, and certainly a strong contender for the sub$200 crown. IMR Splash Of Gold also arrived yesteday and I should get my Lotoo LE-M1 (very curious about this one) and Simphonio RX10 before the end of the week. A bit annoyingly these all arrive at the same time instead of quite well separated in time as they normally should have. That'll be all for me this year I guess. Probably eying a Dunu or two in the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back