The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 11, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4,096 of 87,105
I am glad you mentioned EM5. I loved it while I had it.

How Duo's soundstage compared to EM5?

I know it's not fair comparison but I just want to get a perspective.
Just done a quick test and the Duo manage a good 80% of the EM5s stage, I'd say. But the crucial thing is that the EM5 are perhaps a touch too open, if there can be such a thing? Aside from the instability of the fit with the Fiios (like the Dodo becoming extinct because it couldn't fly the f*ck away from man, so the earbud has withered on the vine because of its shaky fit, I would say), the EM5s never really give me that touch of intimacy I crave and get from IEMs.

I feel like the Duo are a great compromise between the two forms. A hybrid, evolved species, if you like.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #4,097 of 87,105
Just done a quick test and the Duo manage a good 80% of the EM5s stage, I'd say. But the crucial thing is that the EM5 are perhaps a touch too open, if there can be such a thing? Aside from the instability of the fit with the Fiios (like the Dodo becoming extinct because it couldn't fly the f*ck away from man, so the earbud has withered on the vine because of its shaky fit, I would say), the EM5s never really give me that touch of intimacy I crave and get from IEMs.

I feel like the Duo are a great compromise between the two forms. A hybrid, evolved species, if you like.
Thanks.
Yes EM5 is a wonderful earbuds which sometimes I preferred over HD6XX because how open they sound and light they feel on your ears.

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #4,098 of 87,105
@Rockwell75 Do you think the Duo would be a good ying to my Andromeda 2020‘s yang?

I have a feeling that it is shaping up to be so.

The one concern I’d have is that I share my home with my partner and she’s loud. So I value isolation. How open are these? The backs are open? You could hear a conversation?

So then I come back to the Dorado again.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4,099 of 87,105
I have to say reading the press and looking at these photos the 64Audio’s Duo is a classy looking IEM.

Understated. Simple. Elegant. Classy. It’s a good look. I know I for one really do not like the look of the Nio, Forte, U18t, or the Trio.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,100 of 87,105
Duo looks interesting. Wasn’t a fan of the trio

In other news, looks like Pw audio got Cyrus (oriolus/hyla) to make them an iem. Pricing is attractive too!

https://www.cyras.jp/136140.html

1636658111275.jpeg

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #4,101 of 87,105

In other news, looks like Pw audio got Cyrus (oriolus/hyla) to make them an iem. Pricing is attractive too!

https://www.cyras.jp/136140.html

1636658111275.jpeg
This one came up on the flinkenick thread months ago, but there wasn't really much after that. I believe it was only demo-able in certain parts of Asia. Have they announced any international demos yet?

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #4,102 of 87,105
@Rockwell75 Do you think the Duo would be a good ying to my Andromeda 2020‘s yang?

I could see the Duo as a thumping more energetic yang to Andomeda's more sparkling and technical yin, or alternately I could see the Duo's more reserved & refined yin as a compliment to the Dorado's raging yang. Quite honestly I could see one owning all 3 IEMs and finding something unique to love about each.

The one concern I’d have is that I share my home with my partner and she’s loud. So I value isolation. How open are these? The backs are open? You could hear a conversation?

I haven't tested it around groups of people yet but the isolation on these is interesting. I took them on the road last night and I was expecting the road noise from the highway to cancel out the bass like it does on the Isabellae making those IEMs unlistenable in those circumstances. With the Duo I could simultaneously make out both the road noise as as well as every nuance of the music-- it was rather interesting. But yeah if all other factors are equal the Dorado isolates better than the Duo.

Dorado's selling feature over the Duo is its more forward bass response & the unparalleled weight and clarity brought about by the ceramic. Dorado's bass is something else-- I find it quite addictive and quite unlike anything else I've ever heard. Personally I love it, though I know some object to the way the mids are a little pushed to the back at times. It also has the effect of giving certain tracks a lovely layer of oomph on the bottom end-- something like CCR's Green River or Grant Green's Sookie Sookie on the Dorado wipe the floor with the presentation of the Duo even though both tracks are very serviceable on that IEM. Conversely the selling feature of the Duo (to me) is how natural, organic & weighty the sound is on the whole while at the same time maintaining an impeccable balance and, paradoxically, an almost transparent quality. It is much more balanced and thus more versatile than the Dorado which is part of its charm.

I have to say reading the press and looking at these photos the 64Audio’s Duo is a classy looking IEM.

Understated. Simple. Elegant. Classy. It’s a good look. I know I for one really do not like the look of the Nio, Forte, U18t, or the Trio.

Indeed it is. Aesthetically & sonically it's my favourite 64 IEM.

Nor was I. I was having trouble wrapping my head around the difference in cost between the two IEMs and wondered if maybe 64 nerfed the sound of the Duo to be more consistent with a lower price tier...but after hearing the Duo I think it's more that they just decided to release a a top tier IEM at a more market friendly price. Get 'em while they're hot!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,103 of 87,105
The duo does still isolate, but not much. So if your partner is loud and your goal is not hear her, the duo isn't a great choice. They aren't nearly as open as actual open backs, but quite open for iems.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #4,104 of 87,105
The duo does still isolate, but not much. So if your partner is loud and your goal is not hear her, the duo isn't a great choice. They aren't nearly as open as actual open backs, but quite open for iems.

I must say I'm happy that, after all years our audio journey has dove-tailed it's nice to be at a point again where we're both in love with the same IEM.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #4,105 of 87,105
I must say I'm happy that, after all years our audio journey has dove-tailed it's nice to be at a point again where we're both in love with the same IEM.
Yes indeed. Will be nice to have the same iem to actually discuss at the same time.

As with everything, they won't be for everyone, and 1200 is still and insane price for an iem. But I think they may have hit a real good sweet spot with these in terms of "value" at least as far as high end iems go.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #4,106 of 87,105
As with everything, they won't be for everyone, and 1200 is still and insane price for an iem. But I think they may have hit a real good sweet spot with these in terms of "value" at least as far as high end iems go.

Indeed especially considering something like the Trio which is $1k more for an extra driver. IMHO they've taken a page out of CFA's book an offered basically top tier sound at the sub $1.5k price tier...which has always been my preferred stomping ground anyway (though if anything will change that it will be the VE Ext if I ever get to hear it).

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #4,107 of 87,105
Sooo glad I got my Duos while they were still 15% off for Black Friday 'month' @ Hifiheadphones - seems they've gone back to the £1k standard price now, just days later. Happy face for me, sad face for those who missed the window.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #4,108 of 87,105
Sooo glad I got my Duos while they were still 15% off for Black Friday 'month' @ Hifiheadphones - seems they've gone back to the £1k standard price now, just days later. Happy face for me, sad face for those who missed the window.

Yup plus how given how the world has been lately they could sell out soon and not be back in stock for months because of supply chain issues. One never knows these days.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #4,109 of 87,105
A 2022 resolution for me is to finally try 64 Audio and Campfire Audio! I've enough buds for now, focus back on IEMs :)

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #4,110 of 87,105
A 2022 resolution for me is to finally try 64 Audio and Campfire Audio! I've enough buds for now, focus back on IEMs :)
I heard the Campfire Andromeda 2020 and the 64 Audio U12t and Duo at CanJam socal. I like the Andromeda more than the other 2 IEMs, but not enough to buy any of them. I did really like the bass on the IE900 and since the sale was so good, I bought it. Was considering move it on, but I like it too much. I like to rotate it for walking around outside with Isabellae and M9. 3 different signatures and all very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back