The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #91 of 84,805
Interesting thought-- I'm sure there's lots we don't know.
I'm also starting to wonder if people can be more or less sensitive to different areas of FR due to how deep their voices are, or if they speak a language that is more/less prevalent in certain FR regions.
Yeah, that's quite possible too.

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #92 of 84,805
Sublime rich natural sound. 50C8D667-6063-4B93-B16F-BE4949A5AB1E.jpeg

Much thanks to @1TrickPony for the opportunity.

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #94 of 84,805
Nice. The question is if it's going to climb up the list though.
Still early for me to drop comments, but the Elysium is pretty high on my list (not that I've heard an extensive amount of totl gear lol).

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #95 of 84,805
Sublime rich natural sound.50C8D667-6063-4B93-B16F-BE4949A5AB1E.jpeg

Much thanks to @1TrickPony for the opportunity.

Ditto. I'm already liking what I'm hearing. A part of me wants to analyze, but it's struggling against the Ely's ability to shut my mind down and I can't help but enjoy the music. Imaging is rather immersive, and the ba bass is actually better than I imagined.

PS. I agree with you on the ve8 mids, it's probably some of the richest mids I've heard.

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #96 of 84,805
Ditto. I'm already liking what I'm hearing. A part of me wants to analyze, but it's struggling against the Ely's ability to shut my mind down and I can't help but enjoy the music. Imaging is rather immersive, and the ba bass is actually better than I imagined.

PS. I agree with you on the ve8 mids, it's probably some of the richest mids I've heard.
I can't decide between the two. Which one is your pick? Which one is warmer in the midrange?

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #97 of 84,805
I can't decide between the two. Which one is your pick? Which one is warmer in the midrange?

Don't buy anything yet, gimme time to write some thoughts down. In the meantime, give us an idea as to what you're looking for.

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #98 of 84,805
Don't buy anything yet, gimme time to write some thoughts down. In the meantime, give us an idea as to what you're looking for.
I am not sure 🤣. I like warmer signatures. More bodied male vocals and electric guitars. But also I love a good natural timbre, which I assume is better on the Ely.
Anyway I'll wait for your impressions and then decide.
Really appreciate this.

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #99 of 84,805
Same VE8 is definitely moving up. It
I am not sure 🤣. I like warmer signatures. More bodied male vocals and electric guitars. But also I love a good natural timbre, which I assume is better on the Ely.

They're both quite good for natural timbre-- I don't think you'll find another BA set that tops VE8 here...Ely wins the day in terms of instruments (like guitars) and female vocals imho. In terms of male vocals I would give it to VE8...male vocals are the closest thing Ely has to a weakness...or at least one aspect that isn't as strong as the rest imho.

May 1, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #100 of 84,805
So would you guys think the VE8 and Elysium are complimentary or are they more similar than different? I take it that the Dorado 2020 and Elysium have a more yin/yang dynamic.

May 1, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #101 of 84,805
Same VE8 is definitely moving up. It

They're both quite good for natural timbre-- I don't think you'll find another BA set that tops VE8 here...Ely wins the day in terms of instruments (like guitars) and female vocals imho. In terms of male vocals I would give it to VE8...male vocals are the closest thing Ely has to a weakness...or at least one aspect that isn't as strong as the rest imho.
Given that I listen mostly to male vocalists I think the VE8 is the better choice for me. Plus It's cheaper and easier to drive . I just might go ahead and order one. Thank you

May 1, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #102 of 84,805
Given that I listen mostly to male vocalists I think the VE8 is the better choice for me. Plus It's cheaper and easier to drive . I just might go ahead and order one. Thank you
Might be worth waiting for impressions and reviews of the VE7 to come out! Although it's meant to be a more neutral sound (and it sounds like thats not what you're looking for) VE are full of surprises. Saying that, I absolutely love the VE8 in general and for male vocals and rock etc its an easy rec for me.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #104 of 84,805
So would you guys think the VE8 and Elysium are complimentary or are they more similar than different? I take it that the Dorado 2020 and Elysium have a more yin/yang dynamic.

In my opinion the Elysium is a further evolution of a very similar general (mid-range centered) tuning philosophy that the VE8 offers. As such I would say the Elysium represents an improvement/refinement of the VE8 perhaps as much as 75% of the time-- 50% of this is due to it having access to the strengths provided by the different driver types it has over VE8 and the other 25% from VE's peerless tuning prowess applied to those different driver types. That said it's definitely not a sweep across the board for Ely as the VE8 still has some strong suits (male voclas and single driver coherence to name two) that may make it perhaps a better choice for some depending on their tastes, listening preferences or what particular niche in their collection they're looking to fill. For me they are too similar to keep both around. If I listened to enough male vocals (as @Mehran does) it would perhaps justify it...but that area is not a huge priority for me. As an all BA set the Andromeda 2020 is still my go to because, having my lush natural midrange box checked by the Elysium, the VE8 has a harder time making a case as it lacks the playful charm, top end air & sparkle, and holographic staging of the Andromeda. If I didn't already have the Elysium in my collection the VE8 would be s shoe in, however. As with everything though, YMMV.

How does that copper faceplate look on the VE8 @Rockwell75 ? I was so torn between this one and the signature but I'd imagine this one has an understated look that looks awesome when caught in the right light.

I'll have a good look with some different lighting and take some closeup pictures later today.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #105 of 84,805
Might be worth waiting for impressions and reviews of the VE7 to come out! Although it's meant to be a more neutral sound (and it sounds like thats not what you're looking for) VE are full of surprises. Saying that, I absolutely love the VE8 in general and for male vocals and rock etc its an easy rec for me.
Thanks for the rec. But after a couple of experiences I runaway from anything remotely neutral, so I'll stick to the VE8 for now. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back