The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 27, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #27,826 of 87,652
1- Thunder + PlusSound TriHybrid
2- Ace
3- Fiba 7 Ultimate

Wasn’t easy to chose the best, but based on my library and daps matching I chose Aroma Thunder that scaled a lot with better cable.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #27,827 of 87,652
Very specific combinations for me to extract the most from the IEM. ranking would change if I changed the source or cable

1 - Z1R with ZH1ES
2 - U18T + 1960s with Hugo 2 + Zen Streamer
3 - Oriolus Percivali with Hugo 2 + Zen Streamer

Jun 27, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #27,828 of 87,652
Results are definitely more eclectic this time around. FYI if you present a list with 5 on it I will only take the first 3-- also please no "ties"...each person here can only contribute 3 votes. Happy voting :)
If you say so.

1. Phonix
  2. Solaris 2020
  3. Supermoon

Jun 27, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #27,829 of 87,652
Radio was better back then, stations were not so formatted so we lost something also. In balance we came out way ahead I think.
Commercial radio yes. But listener-supported radio endures and is typically available via streaming anywhere.
My go-to stations are Seattle's KEXP and Melbourne's 3RRR. I'm happy to support them both for the outstanding programming they provide.

In other news since it's officially summer I thought it would be a good time to revisit the "Watercooler charts". At the beginning of spring I asked everyone for the top 3 IEMs in their lives at that moment. The results were very interesting. Perhaps we could make this seasonal affair...so without further ado, what 3 IEMs own your heart at the moment? Criteria for selection is entirely up to you.

My 3 are the same as last time, although the order may have changed:

1. A12t
2. Andro2020
3. IER-Z1R

Legacy/Legendary for a reason :ksc75smile:

Jun 27, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #27,830 of 87,652
I listed for sale my RS6 and Dark Sky, let me know if you’re looking for them. 😊

Jun 27, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #27,831 of 87,652
My top 3 (obviously those that I own at the moment 😁)

1. LCDi4
2. XE6
3. IE900

Jun 27, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #27,833 of 87,652
Results are definitely more eclectic this time around. FYI if you present a list with 5 on it I will only take the first 3-- also please no "ties"...each person here can only contribute 3 votes. Happy voting :)
Rock, I agree the results are not the same old ones, If you noticed, there were several new participants. most of the new guys listed what works for them, not the usual TOTL items we discuss regularly. I myself have returned to branching out like Scuba.

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #27,834 of 87,652
Jun 27, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #27,836 of 87,652
in your opinion what are the substantial differences between Traillii and Jewel?
Wow gone 10 days and like a hundred pages.

My personal opinion is they are very similar, main difference is Traillii using BA’s for bass and Jewel has Dynamic, both are done well. I own the Jewel over Traillii because I prefer Dynamic bass sound over BA even when BA provides decent bass. There’s something about the sub bass and air movement in Dynamic that meshes with me. Both have a similar neutral very resolving sound signature with great layering and sound stage.

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #27,838 of 87,652
First results. Xe6 takes the lead, Jewel not far behind.

Xe6 x 8
Jewel x6
IER Z1R x5
Evo x4
Phonix x4
Traillii x4
Annihilator x3
Fourte/Noir x3
Indigo x3
Supermoon x3
a/u12t x2
EXT x2
Mason x2
Mest/Mest II x2
Trio x2
Thunder x2
Ace
Aether R
Andromeda 2020
Anole VX
DC Ti
Eden
Elysium
Erlkonig
Fibae 7
Hook-X
IE900
Khan
LCDi4
Legend
Legend X
Percivalli
SE846
Solaris 2020
Storm
Turii
u18t
Wraith
X

Edit: Added @efftee

Rock, I agree the results are not the same old ones, If you noticed, there were several new participants. most of the new guys listed what works for them, not the usual TOTL items we discuss regularly. I myself have returned to branching out like Scuba.

I didn't put any criteria for entries so I'm happy if people put whatever they want...but the hope from my end is that most of the entries will be whatever people are listening to lately that has most captured their attention. I've been fortunate to hear some great IEMs this year so far and what I've listed are the 3 that have resonated with me the most. This isn't meant to be any objective indicator of worth-- it's just a cool way to find out what's in people's hearts at the moment.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #27,839 of 87,652
Here are my current three:

1. Penon Legend - It's really a shame how underrated and overlooked this IEM is. Truly TOTL sound, especially when paired with the Storm cable.
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. UM MEST MKII
I totally agree! The @Penon Legend is one of the most underrated and overlooked IEMs of recent years. It’s a true TOTL contender that deserves WAY more recognition.

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #27,840 of 87,652
Don't know Fabio as I've never heard Trailli and don't see myself swapping out Jewel for anything else anytime soon....
I'd agree with that.

In other news since it's officially summer I thought it would be a good time to revisit the "Watercooler charts". At the beginning of spring I asked everyone for the top 3 IEMs in their lives at that moment. The results were very interesting. Perhaps we could make this seasonal affair...so without further ado, what 3 IEMs own your heart at the moment? Criteria for selection is entirely up to you.

My votes:

1) Supermoon
2) EXT
3) Annihilator
1. Annihilator/Venom
2. DC Ti/Aqua
3. Storm/Mira-4 (Do prototypes count?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back