The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 2, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #26,206 of 84,812
Don’t worry I’m glad to answer you.
Duet is the brighter and harder to drive well.
With RS6 and Gryphon sounds but sometimes lose coherency with RS6 stand alone, with C9 scale a lot, get more body in mids and everything is in the right place.
Consider duet is 98db 25ohm, also DMAGIC 3D is 98db but 13.5ohm and scale a lot with C9 also.
Duet has great sub bass, incredible transparency for a dual DD, but need an amp to shine.
I was in doubt to buy C9 ora A100TB, maybe I’ll buy aroma amp also😜
Do you also feel the same loss of coherency for Dark Sky while paired with RS6?

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #26,207 of 84,812
Jun 2, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #26,209 of 84,812
Yeah, it got released in HK/CH first I believe.

e-earphone has the driver names mentioned as well.

You are right... must be their selling points.

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #26,210 of 84,812
Old DAP talk had me dig out some of my collection.

First up, the Rio Carbon 5GB player from 2004 - charging now and still works! I'm going to fully charge it first and then have a listen. Beautiful little player.

The Rio Karma 20GB - no sign of life here unfortunately! Loved this player, it came with a dock with 2-phono line out and was one of the first from memory to support ogg vorbis. Quite a lot of them had hard drive failures unfortunately.

Next is the Cowon range, starting with iAudio S9 - this was from 2008 and I think is 16GB, this still seems to have life in it so I'll charge and see how it goes. I can't find my X5 which was my favourite, probably in a box somewhere...

Cowon F2 1GB from 2006 - tiny little player, no sign of life unfortunately... but might need more time.

iAudio 7 4GB from 2007 - again a tiny little device, and showing signs of life!

Cowon A3 30GB - 2008. No life here yet either but I'll give more time. I think this might have been when they started to drop the 'iAudio' sub branding?

Finally the D2 2GB (2006) but with an SD slot and a rather novel feature of a touchscreen - this was again a great little player, another that doesn't appear to show life.

Wow, you still have those players. I used to have a couple Cowon DAPs (D2+, C2, X7, Z2 Plenue) until a few hears ago I gave them to my brothers and nephews.
It's going to bother me for sometime that Cowon being gone from DAP making. I was looking at their website a few days ago to see if they have any new players.

It's the second time I am so sad and disappointed that a company gave up, the first time it was Nokia. I guess they couldn't keep up with the Android dominated world.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #26,211 of 84,812
Sounds like a holiday to Melbourne is in order for you my friend 😎 but come in summer time, it’s too cold at the moment lol
Good luck with the fit😂 I enjoyed it immensely but that fit is a no-go.

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #26,213 of 84,812
Don't hear that every day lately.

Battery life is not that great for a sleek portable player. My SR25ii gets like 15+ hours.

"Qualcomm Snapdragon 665" -> Can anyone more knowledgable than me comment on whether this will be slow as molasses like the M8 or snappy like the M9?

Also, has anyone heard any of Shanling's non AK players like the Sabre M6 Pro or the Cirrus Logic M8?
Do you get that battery life while using the balanced out? I'm kinda interested in getting a SR25ii for portable usage and burn in purpose...the Shanling M7 is a bit too heavy to have in pocket while walking.

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #26,214 of 84,812
Do you get that battery life while using the balanced out? I'm kinda interested in getting a SR25ii for portable usage and burn in purpose...the Shanling M7 is a bit too heavy to have in pocket while walking.

I've never measured but you get lots. Don't hesitate-- the SR25ii is a perfect and complete dap that is ideally optimized for portable use.

@Rockwell75 how does the Supermoon compare to the Timeless? Sorry if you posted already, it's easy to fall behind here.

It's been months since I listened to Timeless so take that for what it's worth. From memory Supermoon has more and better bass, a larger more ballsy, spacious & vivid sound overall. Timeless is more relaxed head to toe, possibly a slightly more "effortless" presentation whereas, while impeccably disciplined, Supermoon has a dash of that "in your face" quality that is characteristic of Campfire IEMs. Supermoon blows Timeless away when it comes to fit, build quality etc. I consider Supermoon to be an echelon of quality above Timeless across the board. I moved on from Timeless in short while whereas my sense now is that Supermoon may be an IEM for the ages for me.

I would definitely place the SM on top too.

SK is a top tier IEM for sure...some of the best bass I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #26,217 of 84,812
Also, speaking of Planar hybrids.

There’s also the MADOO Typ 711. The creator used to be an engineer for Acoustune I believe.

EDF800F7-9FAA-4D1C-8D57-6804EF618138.png

It has 3 Planar micro drivers (1 handles the sub-bass, another handles the low-mids, and the other handles both treble and bass) and 2 BA drivers that handles the upper-mids. Quite an interesting configuration. I think someone mentioned about it over on Nic’s thread last year(?) but it’s finally out in Japan as well.

@ranfan have you had the chance to hear them yet?
I could demo it again at the store, from what I recall; wearing it felt heavy, and the size is massive. Mids were tuned like Acoustune overall

Jun 2, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #26,220 of 84,812
Supermoon probably top of my list following the praise it's getting and how much I'm loving planar in the significantly cheaper P1 Max... a strange description possibly but it sort of sounds as if the music is just 'floating' in my ears, unusual but highly addictive. Hopefully Supermoon is released as a universal!

20220602_071637.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back