The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 15, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #1,771 of 87,635
How is the vocals on Reborn, and crispness of notes, say, for example, snare drums?
Vocals are lush and smooth. I would say emotional. Mids and high notes are crisp to my ears.
I guess you may love the reborn if you are looking for musicality over extreme technicalities.

If you prefer more technical (but less musical/euphonic) iems, there are better alternatives at the price :)

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,772 of 87,635
Not sure if this is going to be very useful, but I wrote a comparison between the Mk2 and Mason II a few years back, in case anyone is wondering how it sounds compared to the likes of UM Mentor V3 and Maestro (they share similar tuning)
Comparison:

Oriolus 2 ($800, Hybrid; 1 DD x Low, 1 BA x Low, 1 BA x Mid, 1 BA x High) :

Both IEMs have an overall smooth, and clear tonality. Oriolus 2 has a smaller stage dimension in comparison. Which is mainly due to its warmth, and note size. The MASON 2 on the other hand, has a cleaner, more transparent background. Mainly as a result of its resolution, and clarity.

They both present a rather warm atmosphere, with rich, and dynamic sound. The Oriolus 2 has a weightier note size due to its larger bass. This makes for a more engaging, fun listen with some genres.

The instrument notes are both relatively full-bodied. Oriolus 2 however has less space in their layering, and separation. Creating a more crowded, less coherent stage.

Bass is pretty similar for both IEMs. Depth is almost equal, the Oriolus 2 being deeper. Surprising; given their different driver source (i.e. DD x BA). Oriolus 2 still, has slightly more impact width from its dynamic driver. Albeit with the expense of less control, and slower decay/transient. You can feel the reverberation and its interaction with the stage. The Oriolus 2 has a voluptuous bass that you can feel rumbling. While MASON 2 has a quicker bass, with finer resolution. Both similarly are very satisfying.

Midrange are both pretty natural, smooth, and clear. The MASON 2 with its tonality, and resolution. While the Oriolus 2 with its warmth, and increased upper-mid. Oriolus 2 has a slightly warmer air, and as a result less detail. The MASON 2 is more detailed, and tonally accurate.

They both have a lift in the upper-mid frequency. With Oriolus 2 a sharper one, and MASON 2 a gentler one. Sensitive listeners may find the Oriolus 2 upper-mid a bit overwhelming sometimes (e.g. cymbal, snares).

MASON 2's treble extension is longer in comparison. This creates an airier stage that is more transparent than Oriolus 2. The Oriolus 2 has a peakier, more fatiguing treble that is not as forgiving as MASON 2.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-mason-ii.22391/review/18609/

I agree with most of it, beside to my ears upper-mids/treble in Oriolus reborn is not forward, peaky or extended.

The last thing I would say about the reborn is that they are fatiguing, at least to my ears, with spiral dots and stock no 5 cable :)
And I’m high-mids/highs sensitive, for example I find harman tuned iems peaky and fatiguing (like moondrop s8 or blessing dusk)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,773 of 87,635
Coming from a CA Solaris OG, I was looking for an upgrade. I enjoy the wide soundstage, deep bass, warmish mids of the Solaris but I can tell that some of technical capabilities were lacking in terms of speed and definition. I still feel that it is a very musical IEM that is flexible enough for many genres. IEMs are my office setup and I have a full speaker setup for home listening. Overall my benchmark sound is my home system which has very good pace, transparency, wide/deep soundstage and warmish mids. My sig has my full setup. This review is based off a Chord Hugo with a Vertere Red USB cable. Tips used are Final Audio Type E, Acostune AE07 and AE08, spiral dots, multiple types of spinfit. Stock cables were used. Percivali is a balanced 4.4mm version so I had to use a cayin adapter . Ely is also balanced but 2.5mm so a ddhifi adapter was used.

Solaris was my first real love in IEMs-- partly because of Campfire's whole aesthetic and philosophy, which I just vibe with, but also because Solaris set the first standard for me of a mature version of my personal target, which could be described essentially as balanced with a musical mid-bass emphasis, and which pushed me towards the first steps out of what could be termed my audiophile youth where I was mostly concerned with bass and pyrotechnics. I tried for a long time to find an upgrade but I never came across anything that I felt really one upped it across the board. The Elysium was the IEM to finally pull me away from Solaris, but even there concessions were made as I had to go without dynamic bass. It seems to me now that Oriolus and their IEMs are what I was really searching for back then but it's taken me until now to get some real exposure to them.

Build quality

Percivali
Very light and tiny. Was worried at first given its size and weight that it would translate into sub-par sound quality and boy was I wrong! Very comfortable fit overall. Bore hole is slightly smaller than Solaris. Faceplate is a wood finish which is nice, but not spectacular compared to VE and QDC or even other Oriolus.

Elysium
Very solid build quality and fits my ear. Bore hole is quite large and borderline uncomfortable over long periods of time.

Soundstage

Percivali
Much wider than Solaris and imaging placement and layering is excellent. There is a sense of space between the images…borderline holographic. Very surprising given the size of the IEM! Images are “bigger” on the Solaris (appears to have more height). Overall the Perci also gives a “speaker” like presentation

Elysium
Fairly narrow soundstage. I would call it intimate. For me this is one of the biggest drawback coming from the 2ch speaker world. I wouldn’t call it congested but in comparison, it is very tight.

Sub-Bass / Bass

Percivali
More sub-bass and bass definition than Solaris. Goes deep! But not overprounced to bass head levels/ I still have an aurisonics gold hanging around and that produces more quantity of bass. Bass notes are very well defined, much better than Solaris.

Elysium
Not as much sub-bass than Perci and Solaris. Bass faster and punchier than Perci and Solaris though

Mids

Percivali
I was slightly worried when I looked at the FR graphs given the dip vs Solaris and Ely. Upper mids / vocals are not in your face but slightly further back in comparison to Solaris. Timbre is excellent and you can hear the detail in the vocals and instruments. Lower mids are slightly thin which doesn’t affect vocals (even male vocals are really nice) but certain types of instruments. Overall the emotion is conveyed very well.

Elysium
Very nice timbre and lush mids. Detail on the mids are the best out of the three for sure. Vivid is the word I would use.

Treble

Percivali
the electrostats shine. Brings a new dimensionality to the sound. Very airy, speedy and detailed. Slightly rolled off in the top end resulting in no sibilance.

Elysium
Very similar to Perci but slightly sibilant to my ears. Slightly fatiguing after an hour for me.

Overall
Percivali
For me this is the better transition from Solaris and hits my goals. Lower mids are a drawback and I would like slightly warmer/lush vocals of the Ely but I can try changing to a copper cable in the future. Very musical presentation and I found myself gravitating to this IEM over the others. Going back to the Solaris was painful given how much detail I was missing. This was a blind buy given that there weren't many reviews out there but a combination of Justrest's review, the oriolus chart and the general oriolus tuning contributed to my purchase.

Elyisum
Love the presentation of the mids and really wanted to love this IEM given the praise it has been given. The unboxing experience was amazing and the accessories are top notch. For me three issues stand out: 1) the soundstage width 2) large borehole 3) slightly sibilant mids. The last item can be counteracted with more tip rolling and cable changes but the first two issues will never change.

Excellent writeup thank-you very much for sharing. Perci sounds like an incredible IEM but it was a bit out of my reach at this time-- I am very happy with the Reborn though :)

Regarding the Elysium did you ever try it with the Dave? The only thing I will say is that, more than probably any other IEM I've tried, Elysium is very sensitive to sources, power, synergies etc. I have heard that Chord gear tends to be bright-- is this your experience? If so it may explain why Ely veered towards sibilance for you but came nowhere close for me.

Just got a week ago the Oriolus Reborn as well, I had the mkii version in 2018 but at the time I sold them to try something new (big mistake, since I missed them afterward). They are really hidden gems in the iems world, they have a musicality that I struggled to find in many other sets I had or tried in the past years.

Tell me about it! I've been at this 3 years now and I'm only just becoming acquainted with Oriolus and their IEMs.

If anybody is interested in Oriolus reborn, I bought the last set from amazon jp but as far as I can tell they are “awaiting stock”. I also saw that hifigo had them available in either black or carbon fiber.

I saw that too. I wonder if they will be re-stocked on Amazon given that there are none more available from the Oriolus website and they have basically a new model that has succeeded it in the Crassi.

@Rockwell75 Try them with original (not++)spiral dots if you hadn’t already. With them, They are super smooth and the mid-bass slams (tested with pwaudio no 5)
At the time most people in the Oriolus thread used the spiral dots with their mkii. You may need a bigger size though due to the shallow fit.

Cheers man I actually do have a couple pairs of OG spirals around-- I'll try them out.

All sorts...vocal, instrumental, clasic rock, pop, country, jazz occasionally, grunge, post-rock, alternative rock, metal, orchestral, anime and game OST, bollywood....

(Bollywood..nice! Please share a favorite track or two here :)

Honestly it could go either way. Dorado, measured purely in terms of my unrestrained desires, may very well be my favorite IEM-- but I know that it is not for everyone. I'm tempted to say that the Reborn is probably a safer rec overall, and Isa safer still, but if you happen to be one of those people for whom the Dorado hits-- then imho there is nothing on the market right now sub $3K that can top it.

Apples and Oranges really :)
First, Mest mkii sound changes a lot between tips and insertion depth, it goes from sparkly, to mid forward, to warmish with excellent bass impact. Oriolus reborn not so much. I’ll go with pros and cons (to my ears and with the tips/sources I’m using)

Mest mkii:
+ Holographic soundstage with sounds floating all around your head
+Musical and technical at the same time
+Emotional vocals
+Bass quality and impact

- A LOT of tips rolling required. They fit more deep than Oriolus so you may feel them more than oriolus. Funny the best tips I found for them were the silicon Oriolus tips
- Vocals in some songs can be intimate. That may be good or bad depending on your personal taste

Oriolus Reborn:

+ They are supercomfortable as the fit is shallow. Especially with spiral dots
+ Musical. VERY musical tuning with warmish bass and lush mids
+ 3d soundstage
+they make you sit and want to listen more and more. They are very euphonic.

- Treble is not as extended as mest mkii
- shallow fit may not be for everybody. They are also bigger than mest mkii but not excessively so
- while soundstage is large and 3d, the mest mkii soundstage is still more holographic
- mest mkii is a more technical iem, reborn is more about musicality
- they have a more present subbass than mest mkii which make them slightly warmer and lush. This can be good or bad depending on your taste

The MEST II was one IEM that I simply did not connect with-- to my ears it lacked emotion, vitality and had a decided "tuned by algorithm" feel to it. I could see it trumping Reborn in terms of raw staging & technicalities, but that's about it. YMMV etc.

I would add that imo the mkii/reborn trumps for musicality a lot of superhyped iems released in the past years.

In my experience, at least around here, most of the super-hyping of the last few years has been around IEMs for their technical prowess, perhaps because its easier to objectively measure and quantify...with pure musicality seeming to be less of a priority.

Unfortunately it seems to me that Oriolus is not very interested in marketing here or other forums so the mkii/reborn didn’t gain as much interested or following like some other brands iems (i.e Campfire or Empire ears).

I don't think it's unfortunate really-- it gives the whole thing a unique and cool feel to it. Every hobby has its brands that are super hyped and everybody knows and others that are more low key that you only really discover after immersing yourself in the community for a time. Oriolus is just such a brand-- they seem less concerned with fanfare and almost entirely focused on the integrity of their art. It helps that the Old Man is arguably the Masamune of tuning IEMs...without an equal perhaps anywhere in the world. Say what you will about the Traillii but there is no denying it is a masterwork of tuning, with arguably no equal right now. There's a certain satisfaction in discovering Oriolus and their unparalleled tuning despite the lack of hype and publicity as it feels like I've earned and accomplished something after a lengthy effort-laden search.

How does Reborn compare to MKii?

How is the vocals on Reborn, and crispness of notes, say, for example, snare drums?

Vocals are positively divine.

Not sure if this is going to be very useful, but I wrote a comparison between the Mk2 and Mason II a few years back, in case anyone is wondering how it sounds compared to the likes of UM Mentor V3 and Maestro (they share similar tuning)
Comparison:

Oriolus 2 ($800, Hybrid; 1 DD x Low, 1 BA x Low, 1 BA x Mid, 1 BA x High) :

Both IEMs have an overall smooth, and clear tonality. Oriolus 2 has a smaller stage dimension in comparison. Which is mainly due to its warmth, and note size. The MASON 2 on the other hand, has a cleaner, more transparent background. Mainly as a result of its resolution, and clarity.

They both present a rather warm atmosphere, with rich, and dynamic sound. The Oriolus 2 has a weightier note size due to its larger bass. This makes for a more engaging, fun listen with some genres.

The instrument notes are both relatively full-bodied. Oriolus 2 however has less space in their layering, and separation. Creating a more crowded, less coherent stage.

Bass is pretty similar for both IEMs. Depth is almost equal, the Oriolus 2 being deeper. Surprising; given their different driver source (i.e. DD x BA). Oriolus 2 still, has slightly more impact width from its dynamic driver. Albeit with the expense of less control, and slower decay/transient. You can feel the reverberation and its interaction with the stage. The Oriolus 2 has a voluptuous bass that you can feel rumbling. While MASON 2 has a quicker bass, with finer resolution. Both similarly are very satisfying.

Midrange are both pretty natural, smooth, and clear. The MASON 2 with its tonality, and resolution. While the Oriolus 2 with its warmth, and increased upper-mid. Oriolus 2 has a slightly warmer air, and as a result less detail. The MASON 2 is more detailed, and tonally accurate.

They both have a lift in the upper-mid frequency. With Oriolus 2 a sharper one, and MASON 2 a gentler one. Sensitive listeners may find the Oriolus 2 upper-mid a bit overwhelming sometimes (e.g. cymbal, snares).

MASON 2's treble extension is longer in comparison. This creates an airier stage that is more transparent than Oriolus 2. The Oriolus 2 has a peakier, more fatiguing treble that is not as forgiving as MASON 2.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-mason-ii.22391/review/18609/

Thanks for sharing!

The last thing I would say about the reborn is that they are fatiguing, at least to my ears, with spiral dots and stock no 5 cable :)
And I’m high-mids/highs sensitive, for example I find harman tuned iems peaky and fatiguing (like moondrop s8 or blessing dusk)

I don't find Reborn fatiguing. It skirts the outer limits at times but it never quite gets fatiguing for me-- in fact the more I listen to it the more alluring it becomes. Such is Oriolus magic. Dusk I did find fatiguing...wince inducing actually and it only got worse with time. YMMV etc.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,774 of 87,635
Solaris was my first real love in IEMs-- partly because of Campfire's whole aesthetic and philosophy, which I just vibe with, but also because Solaris set the first standard for me of a mature version of my personal target, which could be described essentially as balanced with a musical mid-bass emphasis, and which pushed me towards the first steps out of what could be termed my audiophile youth where I was mostly concerned with bass and pyrotechnics. I tried for a long time to find an upgrade but I never came across anything that I felt really one upped it across the board. The Elysium was the IEM to finally pull me away from Solaris, but even there concessions were made as I had to go without dynamic bass. It seems to me now that Oriolus and their IEMs are what I was really searching for back then but it's taken me until now to get some real exposure to them.

Excellent writeup thank-you very much for sharing. Perci sounds like an incredible IEM but it was a bit out of my reach at this time-- I am very happy with the Reborn though :)

Regarding the Elysium did you ever try it with the Dave? The only thing I will say is that, more than probably any other IEM I've tried, Elysium is very sensitive to sources, power, synergies etc. I have heard that Chord gear tends to be bright-- is this your experience? If so it may explain why Ely veered towards sibilance for you but came nowhere close for me.

Tell me about it! I've been at this 3 years now and I'm only just becoming acquainted with Oriolus and their IEMs.

I saw that too. I wonder if they will be re-stocked on Amazon given that there are none more available from the Oriolus website and they have basically a new model that has succeeded it in the Crassi.

Cheers man I actually do have a couple pairs of OG spirals around-- I'll try them out.

Honestly it could go either way. Dorado, measured purely in terms of my unrestrained desires, may very well be my favorite IEM-- but I know that it is not for everyone. I'm tempted to say that the Reborn is probably a safer rec overall, and Isa safer still, but if you happen to be one of those people for whom the Dorado hits-- then imho there is nothing on the market right now sub $3K that can top it.

The MEST II was one IEM that I simply did not connect with-- to my ears it lacked emotion, vitality and had a decided "tuned by algorithm" feel to it. I could see it trumping Reborn in terms of raw staging & technicalities, but that's about it. YMMV etc.

In my experience, at least around here, most of the super-hyping of the last few years has been around IEMs for their technical prowess, perhaps because its easier to objectively measure and quantify...with pure musicality seeming to be less of a priority.

I don't think it's unfortunate really-- it gives the whole thing a unique and cool feel to it. Every hobby has its brands that are super hyped and everybody knows and others that are more low key that you only really discover after immersing yourself in the community for a time. Oriolus is just such a brand-- they seem less concerned with fanfare and almost entirely focused on the integrity of their art. It helps that the Old Man is arguably the Masamune of tuning IEMs...without an equal perhaps anywhere in the world. Say what you will about the Traillii but there is no denying it is a masterwork of tuning, with arguably no equal right now. There's a certain satisfaction in discovering Oriolus and their unparalleled tuning despite the lack of hype and publicity as it feels like I've earned and accomplished something after a lengthy effort-laden search.

How does Reborn compare to MKii?

Vocals are positively divine.

Thanks for sharing!

I don't find Reborn fatiguing. It skirts the outer limits at times but it never quite gets fatiguing for me-- in fact the more I listen to it the more alluring it becomes. Such is Oriolus magic. Dusk I did find fatiguing...wince inducing actually and it only got worse with time. YMMV etc.

That’s the magic (or the curse) of Mest mkii..they are more sensitive to tips rolling and insertion depth than any other iems I have ever tried:) Also, the output impedance of the source seems to affect the bass response. They are pretty musical and emotional with ton of air when I run them from dx300 with oriolus stock tips, darker from alpha.

Reborn vs MKii - Difficult since last time I heard the mkii was 3 years ago. Going from memory the sound is exactly the same. They just changed the shells material (better in reborn) and the cable (gold plated 2 pins no5).

At the time, I remember some people in the oriolus thread found the reborn highs a bit more extended and more airy, but may be just the cable.

Anyway, when last week I heard the reborn with new no5 and spiral dots I just had the feeling I was meeting an old friend with that smooth musical sound so not much has been changed :)

p.s It’s possible that the Reborn will become rarer and rarer since there are not so many set on sale online. It will be a pity if they will discontinue it

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,775 of 87,635
It’s possible that the Reborn will become rarer and rarer since there are not so many set on sale online. It will be a pity if they will discontinue it

A pity indeed for those who won't get to hear it, but a relief to me for pouncing on it at seemingly the last minute haha

I think there are a couple for sale in the classifieds on e-earphone. I have a friend in Osaka I was going to hit up for a favor after exhausting all other avenues of attainment.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #1,776 of 87,635

There are so many....but sharing the most favourites of mine:

edit:added some more...sorry, can't hold myself back :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,777 of 87,635
I agree with most of it, beside to my ears upper-mids/treble in Oriolus reborn is not forward, peaky or extended.

The Reborn other than improved the build/shell quality of the Mk2, I think also tweaked the driver response. I couldn't compare the Reborn with Mk2 side by side, but I suspect they addressed the treble issue with the Mk2 reducing it slightly to alleviate any sharpness. I didn't feel the Reborn to be splashy or too bright as well during my demo with them. The driver flex also didn't crackle as much as the Mk2 I recalled. Source may play a role too into ensuring a smoother upper-end. That said the bass on these are pretty fun to listen to :) With plenty of rumble, and little bleed

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,778 of 87,635
That said the bass on them are pretty fun to listen to :) With plenty of rumble, and little bleed

I'm shocked at how good the bass is on these...like it was a totally left field discovery for me. "I came for the mids but stayed for the bass." I have a feeling the Reborn will be right up @tgx78 's alley.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,779 of 87,635
@HarlanDraka here is Reborn with OG spiral dots…you may be onto something. They were my first ever after market tips and it’s funny to come back to them.

1E48166B-63C5-4CF9-AA1D-6791B80B312C.jpeg

Also this cable on loan from @tgx78 is a beast. Pretty sure I could jump my car with it lol.

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,780 of 87,635
@HarlanDraka here is Reborn with OG spiral dots…you may be onto something. They were my first ever after market tips and it’s funny to come back to them.

Also this cable on loan from @tgx78 is a beast. Pretty sure I could jump my car with it lol.
Love the performance of the cable, but it's so heavy I cannot use it comfortably...

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,781 of 87,635

I wouldn't say chord gear is bright. The Hugo 1 is more mid focused than the Hugo 2 for sure. I had both and I sold the Hugo 2 since it was more detailed but didn't have the same warm midrange. I think it may be a synergy issue. Spent the past two hours on the ely and it wasn't drawing me to the music. I kept on switching tracks. The mids are really nice but it wasn't getting my head nodding to the music. Couldn't get grooving..

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,782 of 87,635
I wouldn't say chord gear is bright. The Hugo 1 is more mid focused than the Hugo 2 for sure. I had both and I sold the Hugo 2 since it was more detailed but didn't have the same warm midrange. I think it may be a synergy issue. Spent the past two hours on the ely and it wasn't drawing me to the music. I kept on switching tracks. The mids are really nice but it wasn't getting my head nodding to the music. Couldn't get grooving..

It can happen man nothing is for everybody. That said I hope you're really enjoying the Perci...I may keep an eye out for a used one down the road.

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,783 of 87,635

Most of the people in the Oriolus thread were advising spiral dots for mkii/reborn and tbh I agreed at the time and I agree now :) I also like the no5 cable pairing the most, even though it makes them warmer and smoother.

If you search for Oriolus Hybrid thread here on headfi it’s still alive now after 5 years. I guess is kinda of a record :D

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,784 of 87,635

what cable is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back