"the vinyl has been replaced by the CD, largely inferior in quality"
Jul 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #226 of 437

48khz now and is downsampled to 44.1 [..] None the less, one has to actually prove audibility.

Oh come-on, 48>44.1 SRC is inaudible now? I can show THD and THD+N figures very easily, so don't try me
benou_non.gif

Of course, anyone w/ a half-brain will always avoid such a lossy SRC.

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #227 of 437
a SRC algorithm that creates THD is simply broken, noise would actually be less for down sampling to a higher bit resolution, so possibly perceptual weighted noise could improve with advanced dither

the only effect from SRC down conversion that is unavoidable is the bandwidth reduction

if you want to claim some particular SRC code/plugin is broken that's entirely possible - but the math isn't the limitation

I have written my own filtering/decimation code several times for industrial instrumentaiton ADC - verified noise reduction/resolution growth from averaging - DSP, Signal Theory really works

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #228 of 437
Right, SRC is good for ya and no one can either DBT it or measure any difference whatsoever. Luckily it's terribly OT so we won't have to discuss it.

Anyway, after 16 pages it all boils down to ppl who prefer the utterly distorted and colored sound of a vinyl deck because it makes them feel "good". It's often the same ppl who enjoy highly colored tube amps. I guess JMJ forgot the word "subjectively" in his original sentence, that should have read "the vinyl has been replaced by the CD, subjectively largely inferior in quality".

Then it all makes perfect sense, coz there isn't a single technical explanation that can prove it to be true "technically" and not only "subjectively". I even sent the url of this very thread to the info email on his website, but I guess Mr JMJ is too busy talking nonsense and selling grossly overpriced ipod docks to explain us what he tried to say. And I guess he's not humble enough to finish his sentences by "in my opinion", as he both stated it on national TV and on his website as if it were a known verifiable fact. It is not, get real.

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #229 of 437

Quote:

I'm afraid the "information" at that link is a load of naive rubbish.

se

This.  The graphical representation is deliberately misleading and the author didn't talk about the DAC process where the approximation is reconstructed back to the original waveform.  

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #230 of 437
Quote:
Oh come-on, 48>44.1 SRC is inaudible now? I can show THD and THD+N figures very easily, so don't try me
benou_non.gif

Of course, anyone w/ a half-brain will always avoid such a lossy SRC.

I love how you misquote people creating strawmen:

"A lot of mastering is done at well above 48khz now" - what I wrote.

So how about you don't try me, eh?

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #232 of 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This.  The graphical representation is deliberately misleading and the author didn't talk about the DAC process where the approximation is reconstructed back to the original waveform.  

Yup. As I said, naive.

se

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #233 of 437
Anyway, after 16 pages it all boils down to ppl who prefer the utterly distorted and colored sound of a vinyl deck because it makes them feel "good". It's often the same ppl who enjoy highly colored tube amps.

Yup...poor people...choosing their audio equipment based on what makes them happy...such a tragedy.

Let's notify the Ministry of Truth and file a report.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #234 of 437

Yup...poor people...choosing their audio equipment based on what makes them happy...such a tragedy.

Let's notify the Ministry of Truth and file a report.

Fantastic idea, I'll call him right away
jerome38.gif

And I've got a great idea for my next thread: "the tube has been replaced by the opamp, largely inferior in quality"...hopefully we'll make 50 pages on it. It might take some extensive googling to find someone smart enough to have said this verbatim, but I've got a genuine confidence in the human kind.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #235 of 437
Yes. And then, unless you're doing direct to disc recording, there's the analogue tape recorder. Want to talk about "compression"?

Those who think the vinyl manufacturing process is somehow more direct than digital hasn't seen how records are made.

Here's a promotional film for Capitol Records with Mel Blanc, Billy May, Alan Livingston and Bozo the Clown. At around 10:30 there's a tour of the Scranton pressing plant. The steps a recoed goes through in manufacture is enough to make a neat freak vinyl fetishist to faint dead away!

Let Bozo show you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IMuRICNP0&sns=em

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #236 of 437
I'm too young to have lived through this, but didn't audiophiles look down upon vinyl discs when fidelity was concerned? Wasn't the preferred format reel to reel?

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #237 of 437

Fantastic idea, I'll call him right away
jerome38.gif

And I've got a great idea for my next thread: "the tube has been replaced by the opamp, largely inferior in quality"...hopefully we'll make 50 pages on it. It might take some extensive googling to find someone smart enough to have said this verbatim, but I've got a genuine confidence in the human kind.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #238 of 437
Anyway, after 16 pages it all boils down to ppl who prefer the utterly distorted and colored sound of a vinyl deck because it makes them feel "good".

I like vinyl because I can go to the Pasadena Record Swap Meet and get music that has never been released on CD for a buck or two a disk. In some cases, I can find music that has been released on CD, but the mastering is better on LP. I can get nice big pictures on the covers and liner notes in a font size that I can read without squinting.

I'm not married to obsolete formats. I like flat response. I think the ritual of cleaning records is an annoyance. But I just run a capture whenever I play a record and add it to my digital library. I have a ways to go though...

recordwall.jpg

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #239 of 437
Reel to reel does have the potential to sound better, and does have much better technical performance than vinyl, but commercial reel tape duplication was not all that great. And reel tapes are even less convenient than records.

That said, I love my reel to reel deck :D

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #240 of 437
In the spirit of compromise of the US House and Senate, I'd like to propose that we all agree that 8Tracks suck.

Edit: Except I just remembered that the 8Track of Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money was a completely different mix than the LP and had some things going for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back