The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Jan 16, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,156 of 1,222
If I may have my take: 

Full SD cards probably won't make a comeback. 

512GB SD cards cost a lot right now. 

You as a buyer will either buy full 512GB SD cards only for this DAP or you probably have a professional camera. There is nothing else an SD card goes into. At the same time, you can use a mSD card with an adapter - so this problem would be fixed. 

About the storage - I kinda agree - making 2 x full SD cards slots might be worth the effort, there is enough demand for this type of device. 

@JamesFiiO - The main point that the crowd asking for a transport only had was to make a device with 2 X SD cards, digital / coaux and everything else digital out and to give it great battery life. 

Making a custom version of an already existent DAP just to serve this crowd - like FiiO made E12DIY before might be worth the effort - the question is whether the people asking for it would be willing to pay the price it would cost (?) 

I'm not sure how it would be possible to test this... 

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,157 of 1,222
sorry for everyone who support our T3 in the past. as you may know thing change quite fast than we expect, now we have 2 issues in T3.

1, The kickstarters and indiegogo is not easy to us cause we have not enough resource to arrange it .  another option is work with 3rd partner but they charge very high cost . so the problem is we don't know how many people will like to support this project. 

also consider that we have X5 3rd which also meet most features of T3.

2, We still have a new project which may suitable to replace T3, which is based Android system but it can't supports any other APPs, not Wifi, but supports ATPX,  touch screen , but only supports one Micro SD card, slim design, long battery life. so it is still 

good option for T3 too.

James,

Do you have an estimated sale price for the T3 yet? If you can get some estimated prices, then simply run a survey at Headfi and Facebook/SurveyMonkey, asking questions such as:

1) Would you, as a consumer, pay $200 USD for T3 with two full sized SD slots, headphone out, line out, coaxial out and optical out?

2) Or would you rather pay $120 for T3 with two full sized SD slots and only headphone out?

3) Or would you rather pay $120 for T3 with two full sized SD slots and only line out?

4) Or would you rather pay $120 for T3 with two full sized SD slots and only optical and coaxial out?

Then see if there is a group of responses (out of 1-4) that meets your minimum production requirement. Decide from there.

Personally, I won't consider T3 anymore, if you remove the two full sized SD slots from it. Please let me know as soon as possible, if you have decide on that - I will leave and buy something else right away.

There are quite a few DAPs with dual mSD slots now, with price as long as $120 (Xduoo X3). One can use SD-to-mSD adapter, but it would be ugly and not durable. That is why I am still waiting for T3.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,158 of 1,222
Making a custom version of an already existent DAP just to serve this crowd - like FiiO made E12DIY before might be worth the effort - the question is whether the people asking for it would be willing to pay the price it would cost (?) 
I'm not sure how it would be possible to test this... 

That would be great. An X1-ish device with dual SD card slots, Coaxial/Optical and USB outputs and a stable, responsive firmware would be a good fit. But again this just my opinion cause I don't stream music and thus have no need for any wireless features.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,160 of 1,222
Been following this from the begiining. My take on Jame's comments are we are too small of a market with not enough potential volume to pay for, and provide profit after all of the engineering an production costs.

I, as with most, loved the idea of a high capacity transport that could hold large volumes of lossless files.

Guess we keep on dreaming......................

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #1,161 of 1,222
I think I changed my mind about the full size cards.

The real big ones are much more expensive. 512 gb sd cards are too expensive.

I got my 200gb micro sd for 60 euro minus 10 euro gift card. I sort of jave the feeling, that the time is over dor the full size sd cards.

If we have a chance for such a device, then it should be ssd based.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #1,162 of 1,222
I think I changed my mind about the full size cards.

The real big ones are much more expensive. 512 gb sd cards are too expensive.

I got my 200gb micro sd for 60 euro minus 10 euro gift card. I sort of jave the feeling, that the time is over dor the full size sd cards.

If we have a chance for such a device, then it should be ssd based.

SSD requires a lot of power to work right -  had a little project on this recently.

And it's not necessarily about the power - but the controller implementation. 

You're better off using mSD cards and using 4 if you really need more space 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #1,163 of 1,222
SSD requires a lot of power to work right -  had a little project on this recently.

You're better off using mSD cards and using 4 if you really need more space :D  

I am really thinking about getting the new X5 and another 200 gb msd :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #1,165 of 1,222

You're better off using mSD cards and using 4 if you really need more space 
biggrin.gif

I've an SSD in an old iPod and it takes a lot of power for writing but reading is no problem to give acceptable playback time.

A 4x mSD device would be fine too.

I'm sure FiiO or other manufacturer could produce a high-capacity transport based on existing products with minimal additional development costs.

One of the original suggestions for the X7 swappable modules was an SSD storage unit - perhaps that's still a possibility?

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #1,166 of 1,222

I've an SSD in an old iPod and it takes a lot of power for writing but reading is no problem to give acceptable playback time.

A 4x mSD device would be fine too.

I'm sure FiiO or other manufacturer could produce a high-capacity transport based on existing products with minimal additional development costs.

One of the original suggestions for the X7 swappable modules was an SSD storage unit - perhaps that's still a possibility?

The controller is the problem - more exactly how you go about implementing it. 

I've no idea how or why the old day ipods worked with SSDs and HDDs but it seems quite hard to replicate that controler - at least at an amateur level - maybe a big company can do it easier! 

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #1,167 of 1,222

The controller is the problem - more exactly how you go about implementing it. 

I've no idea how or why the old day ipods worked with SSDs and HDDs but it seems quite hard to replicate that controler - at least at an amateur level - maybe a big company can do it easier! 

​I do not think the technical details are the problem . A one or even two terabyte dap is easily within the bounds of current tech . Problem is the bulk of the market has moved on to streaming as the primary source .

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #1,168 of 1,222

​I do not think the technical details are the problem . A one or even two terabyte dap is easily within the bounds of current tech . Problem is the bulk of the market has moved on to streaming as the primary source .

Totally! 

That is totally a problem~!! 

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to make a Tidal thingy account - used a mail address I don't generally use. Guess what? Over 10 mails in 3 days from them to make that account even though I cancelled the registration step halfway through. Lesson learned. 

Well - we  can already have 512 GB space with 2x mSD - so space constraints are not as big as they used to be - pun intended. 

I regret this market shift towards streaming to be honest - it is taking something away from disconnecting and just enjoying music - which was my original intent for this hobby. Just to disconnect and enjoy - to not have to be bothered by internet to enjoy music... 

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #1,169 of 1,222
  I regret this market shift towards streaming to be honest - it is taking something away from disconnecting and just enjoying music - which was my original intent for this hobby. Just to disconnect and enjoy - to not have to be bothered by internet to enjoy music... 

I agree but for less emotional reasons.
Streaming reasonable content (=lossless format) today is just not reliable enough due to insufficient network coverage outside big cities.

But hey, who cares, and wifi capabilities in an Android ecosystem nowadays is much cheaper than the minimum 256Gb + 1 slot that most DAPs should have without paying 3000+$...
And at the same time, smartphones with 256Gb ram are sold for less than 1500$. Ironic...

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,170 of 1,222
I mostly regard streaming as platform to discover music rather than pure music listening. When I hear new albums from an artist I follow, I'd listen to it first on Spotify then decide whether to buy a good FLAC copy of it or not. Also, searching for albums based on random recommendation from people is a breeze to do. Must say, that last aspect alone make it worth it to have a device that's capable of streaming, which is why I love the package that is X5 III.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back