The Unofficial Head-Fi Paypal/Traders Lack of Appreciation Thread
May 19, 2012 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

doublea71

Headphoneus Supremus
General discussion of measures taken to prevent being scammed, scamming horror stories, and your 2 cents for how to keep trading on the up and up, inspired by real events that originated from the twisted mind of an amoral Latvian youth...

May 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:
Keep your eyes open, always use  tracking, never use Gift on Paypal, research who you are trading with and most of all USE COMMON SENSE.

I don't know what else needs to be said - that's really the gist of it, but maybe somebody has a horror story to share? Or perhaps (and surely to everyone's delight) a story of sweet revenge against a scammer who thought he was going to get away with it, but didn't.

May 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 30
Theres always gonna be a risk. I did a trade with a guy from Turkey, no negative feedback. I traded jvc700 for recabled dt770 and 100 cash. Communication was great, even conversated during the 2week shipping time. Well i was very excited to pick up package from po. Well this idiot ships headphobes in an envelope from turkey to US with no box. Headphones were broke. I cobtact him and tell him either we can refund and ship items back or just paypal the difference. He refuses and tells me thats the chance i take by trading. Once he ships its not his problem and even said that the package wasnt the fault. Someone at po must of opened package and broke them and put back into package. Then to top it off he leaves me negative feedback, even though hecreceived his package in perfect shape.
Found out recently that he made another trade and item he sent them was 1/2 brkke. Amp/dac and only dac worked...was listed as both working

May 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:
Keep your eyes open, always use  tracking, never use Gift on Paypal, research who you are trading with and most of all USE COMMON SENSE.

I agree with that if you are in the position of being a trustworthy buyer.
If you're a trustworthy seller and you're dealing with someone new then you're simply nuts if you accept PayPal as a purchase, it leaves you wide open for being scammed.

As I said before: I demand PP as a gift or bank transfer if the buyer has no or not much feedback or some kind of verifyable reputation here. Otherwise I'm fine with PP as a purchase. 

I see it like this: I have enough feedback both in the old and new system and have been a member here for almost 4 years. If someone new shows up and wants to buy from me I am the one with the credentials to be trusted, he isn't (yet). If he doesn't agree to my terms I don't sell to him.
That said, I have sold to more than a few new members, but always using this system. That way the newcomers have a chance to build-up some feedback as well else they're never gonna have any.
I never let them start with high-priced items though, that's too much of a risk.

Tracking is a must though, that I fully agree with. As with the using common sense of course.

May 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:
Theres always gonna be a risk. I did a trade with a guy from Turkey, no negative feedback. I traded jvc700 for recabled dt770 and 100 cash. Communication was great, even conversated during the 2week shipping time. Well i was very excited to pick up package from po. Well this idiot ships headphobes in an envelope from turkey to US with no box. Headphones were broke. I cobtact him and tell him either we can refund and ship items back or just paypal the difference. He refuses and tells me thats the chance i take by trading. Once he ships its not his problem and even said that the package wasnt the fault. Someone at po must of opened package and broke them and put back into package. Then to top it off he leaves me negative feedback, even though hecreceived his package in perfect shape.
Found out recently that he made another trade and item he sent them was 1/2 brkke. Amp/dac and only dac worked...was listed as both working

Indeed, if you're afraid of the risk or can't afford that risk financially you shouldn't buy anything on the net.
Even when you're buying new from a company things can go wrong, I've had that three times and twice it was resolved. 

May 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Lvrhs, even if you had photos with your nickname, you would still be sending fake tracking numbers to everyone, or broken Apple earbuds, are you an idiot?

We already know the answer to that... 
wink_face.gif

Has anyone been able to contact the police, or...? It's truly terrible that he was able to scam this many people...

May 20, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 30
Someone has his coach's email and I think his school's email, too. Another head-fier is from Lithuania and says his hometown is a four hour drive and that he too was scammed by this kid. He basically said he's willing to pay him a visit just for the satisfaction and to possibly get other head-fiers' gear back....so things are developing and hopefully there will be consequences meted out to this *******.

May 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:
thats not my coach email anyway, but site administrator. and i dont learn in my city.

can i ask are you seriously coming back over and over just to taunt us?! why?! you have nothing to gain here, there is no way you will convince anyone that you are not in the wrong. if someone robs you at knife point for money and then says "but i really needed it" in court it doesn't hold. this is the same, you keep coming to say you aren't that bad but you are. so why do you keep coming back?! 

damn you are so so infuriating 

May 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 30
also just quick another thing you can do is NEVER use paypal gift. if the seller insists on you paying the extra charge, just go to this site : http://ppcalc.com/

here you can calculate how much you would have to pay to cover the charges. it costs you exactly the same seeing as via gift you still have to pay the charges, and it still gives you the protection, which from my experience (conned twice on gumtree) is actually quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back