The Ultrasone million dollar question
Mar 20, 2008 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

brospin

100+ Head-Fier
A question for all Edition 9 users/owners: Honestly, is the E9 really worth its high price? Please take into account that retail price in Europe is Euro 1500 (approx $2250)! Unbelievable: a product made in Europe is cheaper in the US!

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 24
This is a competitive marketplace, and is cost driven. I just ordered a pair myself, and at a price that will upset you. $1193.64 plus shipping. I can't answer that if they are even worth what I'm paying. I'll know in little over a month. But I own some of their lesser models and appreciate what they offer for money spent. The threads all mention adjectives such as warm, wet and liquid, with above average bass response with good levels of detail. Sounds that are right up my alley. And I have a Rudistor RPX-33 to mate with them. That duo is supposed to be a synergistic combination.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by brospin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question for all Edition 9 users/owners: Honestly, is the E9 really worth its high price? Please take into account that retail price in Europe is Euro 1500 (approx $2250)! Unbelievable: a product made in Europe is cheaper in the US!

I have heard some say that they arent worth "ten dead flies" and others say they are the "best" phones ever.
At the price your talking about paying you should make sure which camp your in, or you might take a real beating if you decide to unload them.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 24
Woot! For that price you can get a killer setup including a great amp. I can hardly see how that price can be justified. Of course if they are something unique they might be worth it for someone who already have a great setup.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 24
There is a steak house in Knoxville, Tn that I used to go to, to often, when I lived in the area. That steak house had steaks that I would call steaks that tasted like I imaged a steak should taste like. I have yet to go to another steakhouse where I got that impression. The steak house BTW is called Ye Olde Steakhouse.

Now back the the UE9s. The UE9s strike me much the same as that steakhouse. How should music sound out of a headphone? Well, when I image how music should sound I hear it with the UE9. Few other headphones come close. My new ALo-780J comes near it and the iQube + Triple.Fi does as well but still not quite at the level of the UE9.

So is having that imagined sound fulfilled by experience worth the price? It is to me.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by brospin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...is the E9 really worth its high price?

Ask your own ears and your own wallet.
wink.gif

It's all about personal preferences. No doubt that the E9 is a set of high-end headphones. It's the price that most have to justify.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 24
Well, yes they are. And no, they're not. They're superb phones and the best I've ever heard, with an ability to communicate musically that IMHO is unmatched. But they are expensive, even at a discount, and that makes the "worth it" question a very personal one.

For me, they were ABSOLUTELY worth it, and then they weren't. They weren't once my priorities shifted and I need to recoup some of the money I spent on them and my sense of what was worth it changed. So if you can see your way clear to spending that kind of $$$ on headphones, and you like the Ultrasone sound and fit, there's nothing to touch them. But if you're after sound that is "very good" or "good enough," you might look elsewhere. And either way, they're one headphone where I'd say an audition is almost mandatory if you're at all concerned about fit -- physical fit and fit with your musical preferences.

I miss mine like crazy already, and they've only been gone a few days.
frown.gif

best,

o

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 24
I still have to find the money to blow on them but I would not hesitate buying them even though they are € 1500,- list price in Europe. It's the best dynamic I have heard so for me totally worth the price.

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 24
It's hard to enjoy other cans (save Sony R-10s) the others sound flat in comparison. Fit issues make them less than perfect but they are close to perfect sounding for rock/ambient/alternative. Of course some very experienced head-fiers may hear differently. I think it is because the Ed9 experience is so unique. My advice is to find them used and listen for a week to know how much you enjoy them. If you don't like them, sell them. The used market for them is very much a sellers market. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 24
The Edition 9, shopping around, and choosing wisely, can be purchased for around the half of the figure you are mentioning, I do not know of any head-fier yet that have paid full retail for them, so if you ask me, of coruse not, they are not worth 1500Euro or approx $2250! That is an outrageous price for them...Even you can get them used for less...

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Edition 9, shopping around, and choosing wisely, can be purchased for around the half of the figure you are mentioning, I do not know of any head-fier yet that have paid full retail for them, so if you ask me, of coruse not, they are not worth 1500Euro or approx $2250! That is an outrageous price for them...Even you can get them used for less...

this man said it.

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #12 of 24
Thanks a lot to all posters. I can get them for a lower price (similar to the US retail price) but without a chance of auditioning. Maybe I should take the risk as there will always be the possibility of selling them.
BTW my stationary amps currently are a Corda HA-2 SE and a Rudistor NKK-01 (old version without DAC). Will they sinergize with the Ed9?

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #13 of 24
The UE9 will make anything you feed it sound it's best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back