The ultimate DAP! 512GB storage, 10,000mAh battery, features of Note 4, 32bit 382kHz / DSD, Wi-fi support!
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #16 of 119
thanks for the responses.  one more question:  i don't play dsd or anything higher than flac ripped from cd's- i.e. 16 bit sound.  does that make any difference re these choices?  are any of them overkill?

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 119
thanks for the responses.  one more question:  i don't play dsd or anything higher than flac ripped from cd's- i.e. 16 bit sound.  does that make any difference re these choices?  are any of them overkill?

Nope. They all sound fine with normal FLAC files. DacPort and Meridian Explorer 2 work fine too. They support 24bit pcm files and no DSD files but they cost the same (299 dollars).
It's up to you. I'm just providing facts. You can choose what to buy.

Geek Out is smaller than both Explorer and DacPort. I heard that DacPort sound pretty good. Dragonfly is cheaper but it sounds worse than Geek Out and DacPort. Good luck.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 119
thank you again.  all your posts have been very helpful.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #20 of 119
thank you again.  all your posts have been very helpful.

No problem. It will take up to three years for a DAP manufacturer to make a DAP with 550GB of storage, 10,000 mAh battery, Note 4 level touchscreen and UI, and sound quality of Geek Out. When they do this, they might ask you to pay more than 3,500 dollars! I would choose this setup over an over priced DAP.

Most of them are playing with you guys with numbers. You don't have to pay 2,400 dollars because a DAP has a 256GB of internal storage. A 256GB PNY SD card is only 90 dollars.
They offer you max 3,000 mAh battery while a small 10,000 mAh battery is only 59 dollars.
32bit 382kHz / DSD support could be accomplished at cost below $299. HibyMusic player has better UI than that of Calyx M and it's free. Calyx Audio takes forever to implement a proper folder navigator despite of continuing requests. It takes only 2 minutes to download HibyMusic app.
Remember how iBasso guys ignored firmware fix request and discontinued R10 and DX100.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #21 of 119
--------------------------------------------------------------------
TOOLS NEEDED:

Samsung Note 4 Snapdragon Variant(Note 4, S4, and S5 have the best compatibility with portable USB DACs. It can run them without an external battery or a Y cable!) - Only snapdragon version can read 512 cards!

This is unlikely to be true, the Exynos version is likely compatible with the 512gb cards if they are formatted Fat32. Iasked the OP at the XDA thread and he only tested with the card formatted ExFat. 

Regards some of the earlier discussion about 256gb cards - I'd recommend the PNY ones, good price and mine has been perfect with my phones.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #22 of 119
This is unlikely to be true, the Exynos version is likely compatible with the 512gb cards if they are formatted Fat32. Iasked the OP at the XDA thread and he only tested with the card formatted ExFat. 

Regards some of the earlier discussion about 256gb cards - I'd recommend the PNY ones, good price and mine has been perfect with my phones.

Nope, the person who took the photos of modified Note 4 has tested Exynos Note 4 with the same 512GB SD card and confirmed that it doesn't work. Only Snap Dragon version could read up to 512GB. He has warned in the original post. You can try to experiment if you can afford both.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 119
Nope, the person who took the photos of modified Note 4 has tested Exynos Note 4 with the same 512GB SD card and confirmed that it doesn't work. Only Snap Dragon version could read up to 512GB. He has warned in the original post. You can try to experiment if you can afford both.

I think you may not have read my post correctly (admittedly it could have been more clear).

I am aware of the testing he has done, it is what I am referencing (the person you are referring to is the OP from the XDA thread, I was also referring to his testing). He did not test the card formatted to Fat32, I would be extremely suprised if it did not work with the Exynos Note 4 with the card formatted to Fat32. 

If nobody has a chance to test that out I will do it eventually when I get my own 512gb card.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #24 of 119
You have not read my post correctly. I am aware of the testing he has done, it is what I am referencing. He did not test the card formatted to Fat32, it will almost certainly work with the Exynos Note 4 formatted to Fat32.

No one knows yet unless someone buys both and test them.
I think it might work fine but why only the snap dragon version can read unformatted 512GB card and the other versions can't?

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 119
No one knows yet unless someone buys both and test them.
I think it might work fine but why only the snap dragon version can read unformatted 512GB card and the other versions can't?

No idea, likely firmware related. He could test it, since he appears to have access to an Exynos Note 4 - he would only have to reformat the card to Fat32.

Given my Note 3 could read 2TB drives formatted to Fat32, I would be genuinely surprised if the Exynos Note 4 is truly unable to read one of these formatted to Fat32.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #27 of 119
Can this mod be done on a Galaxy S3? According to Danba's list, there are many usb Dac's that are compatible and this smartphone is a lot cheaper.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5865#post_11120441

It works on S4. S3 will work as long as you find a right battery case.
Try HibyMusic app instead of UAPP.
UAPP has some bugs for phones with less USB power.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #30 of 119
This is awesome. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 around, chilling in my drawer! This is something I can try out!

S3 users, make sure that your cellphone has enough USB power. You may will need a Y cable. I think Dragonfly or D3 will fit better for S3 since they need much less ppower and sound good.

Note 4, S4 and S5 have much better USB power than usual cellphones out there. That's why you can try so many good DACs on them.

You can find a good extended battery case for S3 on Amazon and try this. But, some power demanding DACs will not work well. As far as I know, S3 has less USB power. I saw it not working well it Geek Out. Consider Dragonfly 1.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back