The UK music scene
Apr 6, 2004 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it just me or has the British Music scene died?

This country used to rock the world with bands like Pink Floyd, the stones, the who, led zeppelin, Slade, Hawkwind, Iron Maiden, YES, Queen, Genesis, The Kinks, Status Quo etc......... to name but a very few.

It saddens me when I see the absolute talentless crap that's being "manufactured" at the moment. IMO British music is dead on its feet, anyone else feel this?

Apr 6, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 15
Dunno about that , mind you I do not have a single CD from any british "popular beat combo" formed since 1984, all my British Music is from oldtimers - Elvis Costello, Julian Cope, David Bowie, The Damned, The Beatles, Roxy Music, The Who, Yes

But then again I am just an old fart !

Apr 6, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd

This country used to rock the world with bands like Pink Floyd, the stones, the who, led zeppelin, Slade, Hawkwind, Iron Maiden, YES, Queen, Genesis, The Kinks, Status Quo etc......... to name but a very few.

It saddens me when I see the absolute talentless crap that's being "manufactured" at the moment. IMO British music is dead on its feet, anyone else feel this?

Don't feel bad, the same thing is happening here across the pond. Hey, at least you have Mark Knopfler, Dido, and Frampton putting out some decent new stuff.

Apr 7, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd

I take it you don't like "The Darkness" then Mike
biggrin.gif

Hehehehehe.... I know what you mean. I've been listening to a lot of classic rock recently from the Like of the Who, Sabbath, Floyd, Yes, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher and man these guys rock.

It certainly does seem that we are being force fed crap these days. Will Young anyone
confused.gif
Sheesh, if this is the best we can do then i'm glad i've a thing for 70s rock
cool.gif

I'm with Neil Young on this one....... Keep On Rocking In The Free World!

Apr 7, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Oh BTW,

A visit to the local Oxfam yesterday yielded the following LPs.

ELKIE BROOKS - Two Days Away
GENESIS - And Then There Were Three
GENESIS - Genesis
GENESIS - Invisible Touch

99p each, thankyou
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 15
Mike,

I guess you may be right. I went on play.com to buy some new music and when looked at the shopping basket it was made up of old bands and artists whose CDs I didn't get around to buying the first time or who were originally on vinyl or were in my old tape collection (now stretched beyond playability).

I never really got into the Oasis/Blur et al from the 90s.

I think that the golden years for me were the 70s and early 80s, though I do like some rock, reggae and Tamla Motown from the 60s.

I tried to watch Top of the Pops out of curiosity the other week and I thought I had turned into my Dad! It is really noticeable that too much stuff of late is a poor rehash of material from earlier decades that the music industry is trying to palm off on the current generation as new.

The other thing is that I keep spotting are riffs and tunes from the past being plagiarised and trotted out as "original". Whatever happened to real creative talent?

All in all it kind of puts me off listening to anything much from the last 10 years or so.

I am toying with the idea of trying to get into jazz, but I am not sure where to start. My only current experience of jazz was a Chris Barber concert I hated, the sound track to the "Aristocats" and a couple of Harry Connick Jr CDs that I don't remember buying.

Ah well.....

BTW did you know that the lift in the Civic Hall in Wallsall is supposed to use the voice of Noddy Holder to make the announcements? Scary thought!

Brad

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 15
Not as dead as the US rock scene. What about Franz Ferdinand? No band could be as worthy as their hype, but still, they're a good band with lots of potential.

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 15
It's funny you guys mention this problem, because it looks like rock music just dropped off the album charts in favor of more urban music. I've even noticed it on the radio over here. A couple of edgy FM stations have changed their format to more modern, but AM style goldies - pretty much Huey Lewis and The News era to now
frown.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 15
Doves, South, Radiohead, Spiritualized, The Beta Band, just to name 4. But yeah, I suppose it's seen better days (at least as far as presence in the US. ie. pop rock). I'm big on those classic bands, but you missed all the stuff in the middle. The Stone Roses, Verve, The Clash, Blur, The Cure, Suede, Ride, The Smiths, etc. The UK music scene has and still is very strong... you just have to look harder.

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 15
yeah... i have to agree with markl and Mallow005 that the UK music scene is not all that bad, it's still a lot better than the US rock scene. granted there are less appealing (to me) acts right now compared to the heydays of the 80's and 90's, but there are still some great bands still going:
Doves, Elbow (whom early Genesis fans might be interested in, the lead singer Guy Carvey sounds very much like Peter Gabriel), Ash (who's working on their new album), Muse, Blur (who's still going on strong after winning Q's album of the year with "Think Tank"), Starsailor, Placebo, The Cure (new album due soon,) New Order (also working on new album), Charlatans (they never quit), Manic Street Preachers (neither do they,) and the obligatory Radiohead and Coldplay. there's some great stuff out there, just have to look a bit further than TOTP or the charts.

i agree with Mallow005 that there's a lot of important stuff in the middle. i highly recommend Stone Roses (who's brilliant self titled first album is undeniable and made them household names in the UK), Ride (every shoegaze fan should own "Nowhere"), Suede, Primal Scream (every UK indie fan must own "Screamadelica" and "XTRMNTR"), Happy Mondays ("Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches" a must have), My Bloody Valentine (the Kevin Shields years), Verve, Catherine Wheel, James, The Cure, Joy Division/New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, The Smiths, Public Image Ltd., The Jam, The Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope, etc...

that said, there are a handful of great US based artists out there that has gained a cult following: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Interpol, The Rapture, the obligatory White Stripes, etc...

Apr 11, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 15
Ahh, you're forgetting many of the great Scottish bands right now:

The Delgados
Arab Strap
Mogwai

Isn't Badly Drawn Boy also from England?
Electrelane, a cool all-female krautrock band, is located there too.
What about Stereophonics, that's a British mainstay.

Now, I agree completely that there are no longer any of those consistantly high quality bands like The Beatles, Stones, etc., but that was not just a scene, that was an era that will never return. Thank GOODNESS, though, they were able to record them... imagine if that sudden proliferation of musical talent had emerged before recorded music. Or could it have?

Apr 11, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
yeah... i have to agree with markl and Mallow005 that the UK music scene is not all that bad, it's still a lot better than the US rock scene. granted there are less appealing (to me) acts right now compared to the heydays of the 80's and 90's, but there are still some great bands still going:
Doves, Elbow (whom early Genesis fans might be interested in, the lead singer Guy Carvey sounds very much like Peter Gabriel), Ash (who's working on their new album), Muse, Blur (who's still going on strong after winning Q's album of the year with "Think Tank"), Starsailor, Placebo, The Cure (new album due soon,) New Order (also working on new album), Charlatans (they never quit), Manic Street Preachers (neither do they,) and the obligatory Radiohead and Coldplay. there's some great stuff out there, just have to look a bit further than TOTP or the charts.

i agree with Mallow005 that there's a lot of important stuff in the middle. i highly recommend Stone Roses (who's brilliant self titled first album is undeniable and made them household names in the UK), Ride (every shoegaze fan should own "Nowhere"), Suede, Primal Scream (every UK indie fan must own "Screamadelica" and "XTRMNTR"), Happy Mondays ("Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches" a must have), My Bloody Valentine (the Kevin Shields years), Verve, Catherine Wheel, James, The Cure, Joy Division/New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, The Smiths, Public Image Ltd., The Jam, The Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope, etc...

that said, there are a handful of great US based artists out there that has gained a cult following: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Interpol, The Rapture, the obligatory White Stripes, etc...

Yeh, I meant there is a lack of "new" bands....... most of the bands you mention have been on the go for donkey years and I know all of them and tons more (have seen 80% of them live)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back