The UE18 Pro: Ultimate Ears Announces Their New Flagship Custom IEM
Jan 20, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #121 of 280
woah! didnt see that coming! SOLD! assuming it betters the ue11..

and how do the mids and low end compare?

which has more punch!!

2010 is finally proving to provide next generation gear! im glad i held of the ue11! these look super badazz. good work ue, i love your products!!
smily_headphones1.gif

price?

looks like i will be selling some gear.

iem's: triplefi 10vi, superfi 5 eb, denon c710
amp's: triad audio Lisa III, RSA Predator
dac's: audio technica ha25d amp/dac, pioneer se-dir 800c reciever/dac
Lod's: twisted cables
Ic's: Kimber Hero
Can's: Denon 7000, JVc-Dx1000

any news of new akg?

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #122 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So not cool. My JH13 order is pending!!

ouch! but what is the price difference?

and do these really have six drivers a piece? how many do the jh13 have?

and are their dedicated woofers on the mids or lower mids or what/

thanks

these look a little too good

Jh13 owners it is your duty to a-b these ierm's asap for the sake of all headfiers everywhere, it is your duty

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #123 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to stay up to post the announcement, as it was embargoed until 00:01 PST (which is 03:01 my time), so I'm going to make this quick (as I'm falling asleep at my keyboard here).

Comparing the UE18 Pro and the JH13 Pro is fun, as they're different. From a purely selfish standpoint, already owning a JH13 Pro, I was hoping that they'd be different, and, again, they are.

The low midbass is a somewhat more emphasized with the UE18 Pro than the JH13 Pro, giving the UE18 Pro a little more thump. The UE18 Pro's presentation is more forward, with thicker, more emphasized mids. Both have outstanding high frequency performance (UE claims extension to 18 kHz, JH Audio to 20 kHz)--but the more neutral bass and mids of the JH13 Pro makes for even more treble sparkle from the JH13 Pro, on balance.

The JH13 Pro is comparatively more neutral, no doubt, and sounds to me like it is more geared toward audiophiles than the UE 18 Pro is, the latter with its warmer tonal balance. Prior to the arrival of the UE 18 Pro, I had been carrying the JH13 Pro and UE11 Pro around with me almost everywhere, the JH13 Pro getting significantly more use since its arrival than my UE11 Pro (or UE10 Pro). I've since replaced the UE11 Pro for everyday carry with the UE18 Pro, and it has been getting about equal play time as the JH13 Pro in my rigs.

To my ears, until the UE18 Pro arrived, the JH13 Pro was simply technically better than anything Ultimate Ears had in their stable. The UE18 Pro, based on what I'm hearing, closes that technical gap, yet offers a different sonic flavor than the JH13 Pro. And it doesn't take gobs of listening to come to the conclusion that Ultimate Ears was undoubtedly shooting for a different flavor with the UE18 Pro (than the JH13 Pro)--I think if they ever decide to aim directly at the JH13 Pro, we'll hear more similarities then. (And, no, I know of no other upcoming models by UE.)

Even before they contacted me, I figured UE wasn't sitting still. Truth be told, I pretty much knew the call was coming, I just didn't know when. When I heard the UE10 Pro for the first time (in 2006), I wondered if IEMs could ever get better than that. I think it's clear no major player in this market is sitting still at all.

This is an insane time to be a Head-Fi'er.

thankyou thankyou thanyou, good work keep the impressions coming,

i do wonder how the ue18 and ue 11 compare in the punch and low end and thickness of mid section. also weight?

thanks

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #126 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ue18's from what I read are the bass lovers iem of choice at least until we get reviews on the jh-16 for neutrality and accuracy it sounds like the jh-13 would be your iem of choice for now.

i like the sound of that though im super curious if the ue18 has more punch than the ue11

thankyou

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #127 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh Lordy...

Now I'll have to think about a UE18Pro vs JH16Pro review? duloop, bleep, urgh...

LOL, i know exactly what u mean,

although i always look forward to your fantastic reviews!

cheers

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #128 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny how IEMs are so expensive for how small they are, yet they sound so good. I wonder how much it really costs in parts and if they could even make an IEM that in parts costs $1300. Now that would be interesting
biggrin.gif

good call,

i think if we all knew how much the parts actually cost there would be a riot, but as for the custom manufacturing, i havent a clue. i suspect they may be more work than the hd800 which cost 1500. and no way imo is that kosher.

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #129 of 280
hey RockinConniseur, any reason you didnt put all this in one post? there is like 7 posts on this page from you
wink.gif
oh and the JH13 have 6 a piece too with JH16 having 8 each for more headroom (the extras are bass drivers making 4 each ear for bass in JH16), immagine knocking that up a bit with EQ, I cant see UE18 equaling that TBH; all hearsay of course. difficult to take bass away, easy to add it. JH13 already have some pretty stonking bass going on and if you EQ them up it becomes a monster. JH16 would allow you to do this with more headroom due to more drivers for bass, but they also have the netral tonality if the situation called for it. by the sounds of it the UE18 are not neutral at all and there is not much you can do about that to fix it if desired

your lisa III's bass knob would be the BEST thing available in portable audio to add that bump as well IMO, well about equal with the FiQuest bass switch

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #130 of 280
Why did both company add bass? What is wrong with neutrality?
Why not just adding drivers for lower distortion and still trying to make it as accurate and neutral as possible?

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #131 of 280
I have placed my UE18 order. They told me mine would be shipped in the first week of Feb. They keep my ear mold cast so I was able to order without taking impressions again. I've sent my impressions when I ordered UE11.
I think their responses were good. They have well summarised my requests and they gave me a proper quote. (not complex though)
I felt the custom division works well even if they were taken by Logitech. But I should have hold to say it till my actual units come.

Thank you Jude for sharing your comments, it was very helpful as I also have UE11 and JH13.

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #132 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have placed my UE18 order. They told me mine would be shipped in the first week of Feb. They keep my ear mold cast so I was able to order without taking impressions again. I've sent my impressions when I ordered UE11.
I think their responses were good. They have well summarised my requests and they gave me a proper quote. (not complex though)
I felt the custom division works well even if they were taken by Logitech. But I should have hold to say it till my actual units come.

Thank you Jude for sharing your comments, it was very helpful as I also have UE11 and JH13.

Sasaki,

I would be very interested in your review of the UE18 when you get it. I am a current UE11 user and had initially considered going with the JH13 until I then saw the UE18 and JH16 announcements. What was your impression of the JH13 vs. your UE11?

Thanks,
Paul

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #133 of 280
My thought on UE11 vs JH13 is almost same to Jude's impression here, so I took UE18.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6314150-post22.html
Now JH13 + HifiMan 801 is my usual setup. I like this combo but I want something new
smily_headphones1.gif

From what Jerry told about JH13 vs JH16,
JH Audio: JH13 vs JH16: What's better? | Facebook
I thought JH16 is not a successor but a variant of JH13. As I already have JH13 and love its neutrality, I am holding to consider about JH16.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sasaki,

I would be very interested in your review of the UE18 when you get it. I am a current UE11 user and had initially considered going with the JH13 until I then saw the UE18 and JH16 announcements. What was your impression of the JH13 vs. your UE11?

Thanks,
Paul

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #134 of 280
Damn, I should have waited a year before I bought my UE-11!

Is it possible change the mold of UE-11 and let it fit my girlfriend while I buy another UE-18?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back