1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The "truth" about different speaker cables

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by bullseye, Mar 1, 2009.
First

Back
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last
  1. mikeaj
    Wait a sec, sorry, I'm repeating the question to clarify and confirm, for anyone to answer.  I hope I've made the meaning clear.

At the moment I'm not talking about the cables that connect equipment together, like those terminated in a TRS, RCA, or BNC connector.  Do you also replace any of the wire, cables, or traces inside your equipment (e.g. inside the box housing the amp)?  If so, which ones, and with what?

2. khaos974
    And yet the properties of the different metals are very clear [​IMG]

1. Silver is very silvery, it makes the trebles more sparkling.
    2. Copper is reddish, it makes the sound warmer and rounder.
    3. Rhodium is silvery-white and hard, it makes the sound more structured, articulate.
    4. ...

Easy, right?[​IMG]

3. BIG POPPA
    It is not that easy. Each metal is completely different. Check it out on a periodic table. http://www.ptable.com/ . Each metal has it strengths as well as weakness when it comes to sound. I do have a Copper IC, SPC IC, and a Silver IC. Can tell the difference between all of them. Not too hard on my rig.

4. Uncle Erik Contributor
    That's anthropomorphizing the metals. It's never been demonstrated that one performs differently than others with audio signals. I've put a few on the 'scope and you do not see a difference in frequency response.

5. BIG POPPA
    Sometimes you just need your ears? Especially when more often than not they are going on your rig?

6. lazard

Quote:

no research paper contending to prove or disprove the value of fancy wires has been accepted by the leading industry publication, The Journal of the Audio Engineering Society.

7. nick_charles Contributor

Quote:

Would you be so kind as to describe the sonic differences between different cable materials, (leaving aside connectors) in terms of frequency characteristics, noise levels and timing issues as I can accurately measure all these characteristics in a system in use (not just scopes) to within a few ps or a few 1000ths of a db across a 20 - 20K range, and have done so for Silver, SPC, Stranded copper and Solid copper. We can compare these findings, I can also provide music samples created using very different types of cables, it should be trivial for you to tell these apart as some cables were unshielded 77c monoprice jobbies and others well made shielded solid copper or silver, thanks in advance.

8. Steve Eddy

Quote:

That's cruel, Nick. Just downright cruel. [​IMG]

se

9. khaos974
    Didn't anyone catch the sarcasm? I even added the smileys :)

Quote:

10. BIG POPPA
    Now Nick, why would I do your homework for you? There are no short cuts in this hobby, just many paths[​IMG]. Spending 100's and 100's of hours listening to different cables on the same rig. Have done my time. Still audition cables to keep my opinions on point.

11. Bullseye
    I did, I laughed and did not comment. Wanted to see if anyone responded to it XD

Quote:

BTW, Steve Eddy, didn't recognize you with that name, older Koyaan [​IMG]

12. Steve Eddy

Quote:

I knew your intent was to be sarcastic. But in a sense, it wasn't really sarcasm as those very same metaphyiscal "properties" are ascribed by those who aren't intending to be sarcastic. [​IMG]

se

13. Steve Eddy

Quote:

Hey BS!

Yeah, it's me. Since I'm Steve Eddy everywhere else, I figured it was time to ditch my old moniker here on HeadFi.

se

14. Gu Sensei

Quote:

It's that thing they're attached to that you need to watch out for. It has a mind of its own and can't be trusted.

15. ffdpmaggot
    Audio equipment works using electromagnets, the only way a cable can screw you up is if it breaks, or is really crappy. There is no way to increase the speed at which electricity flows, and so long as you have a constant connection, the only question is resistance which affects volume.

First

Back
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last